Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Ira

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is it over?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think so, pretty much.

I'm sure there are still a lot of people that don't want it to be though.
    you mean those inland revenue assholes? nah they're still around last time i checked........
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Probably not forever. They are dedicated to one result, this hasn't happened. They'll be back!
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Probably not forever. They are dedicated to one result, this hasn't happened. They'll be back!

indeed...
    I don't know... if you didn't have evil rabid dogs like the "reverend" Ian Paisley not only around but currently in charge of the most voted party in the region, perhaps there would be a chance for compromise.
    Aladdin wrote:
    I don't know... if you didn't have evil rabid dogs like the "reverend" Ian Paisley not only around but currently in charge of the most voted party in the region, perhaps there would be a chance for compromise.

Quick quiz

1) Who said 'We don't need to talk, we're winning'?

2) Who recently prayed with the family of a murdered Catholic and has said about Loyalist terrorists that they 'will burn in hell'?

Answers

1) St John Hume in the 70s when people were being murdered daily

2) That evil cunt Ian Paisley
    If you're really trying to suggest Ian Paisley is not a lunatic, shit stirring cunt of the highest order and one of the biggest obstacles to peace in the region your knowledge of the situation in NI is not as comprehensive as I thought it'd been.
    They all moved into crime years ago, what was the last big thing the IRA actually did? Docklands wasnt it? That was years and years ago.

A far more pressing issue in NI is the massively institutional nature of the crime situation.
    Aladdin wrote:
    If you're really trying to suggest Ian Paisley is not a lunatic, shit stirring cunt of the highest order and one of the biggest obstacles to peace in the region your knowledge of the situation in NI is not as comprehensive as I thought it'd been.

I don't know too much about the complex situation in NI but I've always thought it a bit sad that the govt couldn’t have done more to engage with the SDLP and Ulster Unionists; which are certainly both preferable to the DUP and Sinn Fein. I don’t know how feasible that would have been though.

Ian Paisley isn't the ideal diplomat but I'm a bit puzzled that you've singled him out and ignored the likes of Gerry Adams...
    Anyone who says Ian Paisley is an Evil Cunt should think Gerry Adams is an equally evil cunt. to make out the Sinn Fein boys are all good guys and heroes is bullshit. Both sides have people as bad as each other.
    I don't know too much about the complex situation in NI but I've always thought it a bit sad that the govt couldn’t have done more to engage with the SDLP and Ulster Unionists; which are certainly both preferable to the DUP and Sinn Fein. I don’t know how feasible that would have been though.

Ian Paisley isn't the ideal diplomat but I'm a bit puzzled that you've singled him out and ignored the likes of Gerry Adams...
    Oh, don't get me wrong: Adams is a cunt of the highest order too. My original comment singleing (sp?) out Paisley was because the thread is discussing whether the IRA has really abandoned violence for good, and what chances there are for lasting peace.

Despicable as Sinn Fein might be, they are now part of the assembly and Paisley is not exactly helping anyone by his 'NO!' attitude and his refusal to even speak to them, let alone share power.

'NO!' is just about the only word the man can say nowadays. He's as useful as a motorcycle ashtray, and more poisonous than a snake pit.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:

What do you mean "be back" they'll never go, they just won't use violence.

Why? Because they have dwindling support, well over half of the voters vote for DUP and SDLP and they need to focus on Sinn Fein or else the IRA will go back on a murder spree and no one wants that to happen. Now that the IRA have disbanded, it seems the two minor parties are almost surplus to requirments.

Gerry Adams isn't a complete religious nut and anti-Protestant like Paisley is a religious nut and anti-Catholic.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Yerascrote wrote:
    What do you mean "be back" they'll never go, they just won't use violence.

I meant the extremist wings.

They'll return, once they realise that they'll be ignored through democratic means.

If they don't see any real progress - which it is unlike the will - we'll see them back and armed.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    I meant the extremist wings.

They'll return, once they realise that they'll be ignored through democratic means.

If they don't see any real progress - which it is unlike the will - we'll see them back and armed.

I still don't get you? There are already three Republican extremist groups that are not part of the peace process; CIRA, RIRA and INLA. These groups are non-affilaited with the PIRA. The Provos are finished, whether the armed Republican movement itself is intact remains to be seen but the IRA as we know it is finished. It may evolve to another level just like it has from the 1100's but the "ra" as we know it is gone, it only acts as a political voice for Sinn Fein. It's hard to explain to English people but lets just say the information you hear about Northern Ireland is akin to the information you hear about Iraq, have to live here to understand. ;)