Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

on the verge of splitting with my bf...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I dunno... good riddance.

this whole ordeal sounded fishy from a-z for me.

sorry alasia, no hard feelings.
    You need to get rid, but without sounding really condescending, I don't think you know you do.

Six or seven months ago I was the same, it didn't matter how many times people said that she was taking the piss. I convinced myself that I was right and everybody else was wrong and didn't know the half of it.

I hope I'm wrong, but I can see you getting really, really hurt, and the shit properly hitting the fan, unless you get out now.
    From when I read your threads, you start off worrying about something, quite rightly, then by the end of the thread you're defending his actions? why?
    From when I read your threads, you start off worrying about something, quite rightly, then by the end of the thread you're defending his actions? why?
    the truth hurts
    I see everyone's point, I really do - and I know deep down that I need to get rid...

Anyway I thought I'd post a quick update.

I showed my bf the threads I'd printed off (up to Ballerina's post) last night - I'd texted him earlier when he was at work, saying we needed to talk and he asked what was up, etc. I said there was something he needed to read.
    So when he got home he just sat there for a bit looking really sad and confused (I was thinking about what to say), then he asked me to tell him his faults. I said I was going to bed, but gave him the print-out, explained what it was and told him to read it. Then I went to bed. About 15mins later he came upstairs, threw the printout on the bed and said "nice..." when I asked what was up he said "did you really have to use our real names?!" then went back downstairs.

I was tired so fell asleep for a bit, then about an hour later I went down and asked if that was the only thing that got to him about the print out.
    He said that the replies had upset him too (he looked really sad and pensive when he was talking, so I know it definitely affected him), and that everyone was 'getting on his back'. I said that everyone who replied was anonymous and that they didn't have it in for him...he saw it as you guys siding with me - but eventually he admitted that maybe I was right after all. I really think it made him see sense. We made up and it was all ok, then this morning I mentioned Wendy again.
    I tried to get him to see that she's using him - I said that she seems controlling and manipulative, that she deliberately withholds contact for a few days to get him missing her, and that she can't be that bothered about him if she won't even walk 200 yards to meet him on a main road, instead of making him sit in traffic for ages!
    He agreed with me and said "she's really got me under her thumb, hasn't she?". I think it's got through to him this time, and he said he'll step back from Wendy because "that's how much you mean to me", but he's got to do it slowly - he can't just drop a bombshell like that on her (his words...lol).
    I understand that he's got to let her down gently; he's said he won't pander to her every need and that if she phones and he's busy, he won't drop everything to pick her up. I also said I didn't want him meeting her at weird times, like 8 in the morning or late at night, and he agreed to that.
    The only thing he wasn't sure about was mentioning me - I said that when she phones from now on and asks where he is, I want him to mention that he's with me instead of keeping quiet or saying he's with "a friend". He said he'll "do it eventually", but I'm not sure how to take that.

He's just dropped me back home, and he wants to pick me up again tonight after he finishes work (just after midnight). He mentioned that he'd bring me back to his place now, but he wants time to think about what I've said and read through the printout again. Not sure how to take that either! :confused:

I made it clear to him last night that if he's not willing to change, I'm finishing with him - and he seems willing to start working on it.

Do you think I should give him another chance??
    well a lot of that sounds positive but i don't think hes doing enough about Wendy.
    me neither. I didnt actually realise he wasnt even telling her he was with you when he was!
    Alarm bells would be ringing loud and clar there for sure. Its up to you if you want to listen to them.
    And why cant he drop a bombshell like that on her, yet expect you to put up and shut up about everything.
    If it was me, id just dump him. He thinks you wont.
    alasia wrote:
    The only thing he wasn't sure about was mentioning me - I said that when she phones from now on and asks where he is, I want him to mention that he's with me instead of keeping quiet or saying he's with "a friend". He said he'll "do it eventually", but I'm not sure how to take that.
    i didn't realise he wasn't telling wendy he was with you either! outrageous. yet even though you've asked him he's not yet willing to tell her from now on. why the hell not??
    but he's got to do it slowly - he can't just drop a bombshell like that on her (his words...lol). I understand that he's got to let her down gently
    why has he? doesn't wendy already know that hes in a relationship with you?? he should be able to tell her that the texts she sends him and her sleeping over is inappropriate. you are far too understanding! to the point where you're accepting his behaviour even thought its totally out of order.
    he said he'll step back from Wendy because "that's how much you mean to me", ....
    i'm not convinced how much you mean to him. he says he loves you yet he still wants another woman in his life. why are you putting up with this?
    I know, I want him to tell her...something, but I'm not sure what. If you were Phil, what would you say to Wendy? Because he doesn't know, and I don't know what I want him to say either, I just know he has to say something!

He just phoned, and I told him I don't think he wants to work this out, and if he's not going to meet me halfway with the wendy thing then it's over. He said "if I didn't want to work it out with you, would I be picking you up at quarter to one in the morning?!" so stupid... :rolleyes:

He also said he would tell wendy, but said to let him do it in his own time.
    i dont understand the situation though. does she know you're his girlfriend?

i have a feeling he is not willing to tell her yet because there is more to it.. i don't think you know everything he has been saying to her when you're not there. for example.. when he texted her 'my head is swelling' and lied to you about it. when she texted him that she liked him a lot and wants to see him again".. that sounds like a continuation from a previous conversation.
    I know, that's what I said at the time.

As far as I know, Wendy knows about me. I don't think he's really mentioned me, but I think it came up in conversation once or twice ages ago that he had a girlfriend. So basically she knows, but doesn't want to hear about it.

Like I said a lot of my stuff is at Phil's place; my clothes/bits and pieces are in the bedroom, there's stuff on the cupboard next to bed of mine (including a candle with my name on), and there's toiletries and stuff in the bathroom. It looks like a woman's living there. And, seeing as Phil didn't move anything while Wendy was staying over (in the bedroom, with my stuff including the name candle next to the bed), I don't think she's in any doubt Phil's with someone. Phil told me that Wendy had mentioned my boots (that were in the bedroom), and Phil said something about them not being his - they weren't his colour - so in a way I'm glad she stayed over, because at least she could see I was living there and we're obviously committed to each other.

Btw, I forgot to mention before that when Wendy stayed the night, Phil texted me at 1am to say he had the rats (my rats, they're at his place) out for a run around the living room. So I know at 1am, he was definitely downstairs. That's why I believe him when he says nothing happened (call me naive :p )

I don't need him mentioning me to her all the time, but I would like him to let her know that I know about him picking her up - at the moment she might think he's doing it behind my back, and if she thinks I'm not aware of what he's doing, she'll be thinking she's got the upper hand. I don't want that.
    alasia wrote:
    He said "if I didn't want to work it out with you, would I be picking you up at quarter to one in the morning?!" so stupid... :rolleyes:

He probably would. Who knows how his mind works? Booty call? He probably does enjoy your company and maybe even loves you, but that's actually not enough for you. Don't start to think that it is. He needs to prove that he wants to keep you with him now through his actions rather than bullshit words and half-arsed promises.

Doing it in his own time means he is going to continue to string you along and probably do diddly squat about the Wendy situation - he's saying that to get you off his back. As SCC said, dump him because there is no way in hell that he thinks there is any danger of it actually happening.

That said, I don't think you will leave him. Not right now, anyway, you're making too many excuses for him and drawing this out in a way that tells me you're going to stick around to be treated like second best for a while longer. Take out the trash. Don't you think you deserve better than this? Don't you think it should be better than this after less than two months together? No one says relationships are easy - even at the start - but relationships with unwelcome appendages called Wendy attached are not acceptable.
    You're right, I probably won't dump him - unless something changes NOW.

I packed my stuff up earlier, and when he thought we'd made up he asked if I was going to unpack. I said I'd leave it like that for now, in case nothing changes (that made his face fall a bit!). I made it clear on the phone just now (he called me) that he can pick me up tonight, but I've got to see some changes immediately (to be fair, he hasn't added Wendy's number to his phone since he deleted it the other night, I thought he'd put it back on there as soon as I'd left) - next time Wendy phones, I want him to mention me, or at the very least let me speak if I want to! He said he was ok with all that.

To be honest, I want to give him an ultimatum about wendy, but I don't know what I want him to tell her. I won't stop him seeing her completely though, because I'm not like that.
    *sigh* he's only known Wendy since about the same time he met you. He should be able to say to her - I've got a girlfriend now and we're living with each other. He isn't saying it to her and hasn't already said it to her becasue they are having a bit of a thing... hadn't you noticed? the only people he should be dropping everything for ato go a nd pick up at random hours and then be texting odd things to in the middle of the night would be his girlfriend, or should I say girlfriendS.
    I wouldn't bother with ultimatums. He knows what your issues are, if you press the issue you will either lose out in the ultimatum or else he will comply but will always remember the time you gave that ultimatum (and probably be quite pissed about it). It's very big of him to now allow you to speak when Wendy is on the blower; did he apologise for that pathetic behaviour, by the way?

If it was me I would pick up the box of stuff and tell him never to call me again, but we all see things differently and I appreciate that you have feelings invested in this relationship which makes it more complex than that. Just promise you will look after your own interests, please, because I can assure you that this is exactly what he is doing (and will continue to do).
    I know. Believe me I've said all this to him; that he's got one woman he can sleep with (although not atm because I 'came on' this morning) and one he can confide in. His answer was that he's always found it hard to express his feelings; he was with his last gf for 5 years and she barely knew anything about him! (weird, IMO) Apparently he's told me more than he told her.

This really is his final chance - if I don't see an improvement, I'm leaving. He knows it, and he knows I mean it, trust me.
    alasia wrote:
    He said "if I didn't want to work it out with you, would I be picking you up at quarter to one in the morning?!" so stupid... :rolleyes:
    So is that why he was picking her up at strange times? Because he wanted to be with her too?

If I were Phil and i wanted to say something to Wendy, id say look, this has got to stop, im seeing someone, im very happy with her, and this is jeapordising it. We havent known each other long, so I think its best we just dont contact each other.

You do realise he wont do it though. This will drag on and on.
    It's not going to drag on and on, because I won't let it.

I know you've probably got an idea that I'm weak-willed and some little sap that'll let her man get away with murder, but I'm really not. Like I said before I'm happy enough being single, so if this shit carries on I'll end it. This is Phil's final chance - I've made that clear to him and that's why I've kept my bags packed - as a kind of visual reminder.

I'm not going to suggest he stops seeing her, because that'll just end in him feeling bitter towards me for losing him a friend. He said earlier that he doesnt have that many friends as it is (he got lots of mates, but only a few really close friends), which is why I wouldn't tell him to stop seeing Wendy. I know if Phil tried to stop me seeing any of my male friends I'd tell him where to go.
    I'll suggest the rest of what you said to him though, he does seem to be listening to what I'm saying and taking it in, now I've just got to wait and see if he acts on it.
    Hmm. So he's split up with me. He texted me at 7 and said he'll still pick me up and take me back to his tonight, but he can't be with me - the reason he gave was that i posted this thread - he said what if one of wendy's friends sees it.

He phoned me just now and I told him that this proves he has more feelings for wendy than me - he said it's not true, that he loves me but he's "disappointed" in me (omg!). He reckons he's not going to contact wendy at all now, this way he gets to be on his own and no one wins but himself.

I'm confused, and not sure whether I'm relieved or gutted! No idea what to say to him later, either.
    hmm, hes playing games with you. He thinks youll be rushing back to him and trying to punish you.

Dont fall for it. I think you should be relieved, although its understandable youd be upset too. Be more upset because someone you cared about was unworthy.

As for not contacting wendy - what about her contacting him. I bet thatll be different, and if he could do it for his own reasons, why couldnt he do it for you?
    Thats what I said on the phone. He didn't answer, just kept saying he's on his own now, at least he's got his cat :rolleyes:

I'm trying not to over analyse, because a few times when we've argued he's said that he tries to put people off him - he'll make his gf's lives miserable (not deliberately) and keep picking petty fights, then eventually it'll work and they leave - then he regrets it afterwards.

His last text to me said (about this thread; I said I had to do it, to make him see how he was treating me) "yeah but you did it kaz. It was wrong. I can't forget, soz it's hard".

I really don't know what to do now...I don't wanna split with him :no:
    If he could cut contact with wendy, we'd be fine. Maybe I should suggest it?

Or should I just cut my losses and forget it? I'm not going to beg him to take me back...
    If I was you, I'd forget about getting back with him and move on.
    Sofie wrote:
    If I was you, I'd forget about getting back with him and move on.
    :yes: and when you do move on you'll wonder why the hell you put up with it. he sounds like a plonker, sorry.
    I know, you're probably right.

It's just a bit raw atm, and he's the first guy I've ever loved, so you know. I'm sure I'll be ok tomorrow...

Wish I knew whether he meant it though or was just trying to mess with my head!
    Also, try to cut contact with him. That doesn't mean if you bump into each other in the street, you blank him if he trys to talk to you.
    I live in wolverhampton so I wouldn't see him in the street.

I don't think I'd cut contact with him - never have with any of my other exes, we've stayed friends. Plus I've got to like his mum and his friends, so I'd like to visit them once in a while if I could.
    it wasn't the right relationship though. you're a young, independent woman so pick yourslef up, learn from it and remember there are loads more guys out there! this relationship was all a bit whirlwind and complicated and i'm not surprised its all come to a crash. you jumped in at the deepend with a man you wasn't even attracted to at first. but hopefully the next time you meet someone you will take things slower and have fun. just look forward to that :)
    I see what you're saying...
    tbh you'll probably look back and realise it wasn't love afterall. maybe i'm a cynic though...
    I've thought that about previous boyfriends - was convinced I loved them at the time, I was gutted when I split with them (even though it was usually me that ended it) and felt sure I'd never find anyone else - I can be quite melodramatic! lol - but what I feel for Phil is a million times stronger than I've felt for any of the others.

I felt at home at his place, fitted in with his family... but what can you do?

I'll get over it :)