Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Child Of Our Time

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay so I know some people might be thinking this is sort of about entertainment but its not. not really.

I'm sure most of people have seen the TV shoe child of our time where they follow the children through the years, and like, test them on certain things to find out what kind of level they're at mentally and physically, etc.

Well does anyone know what kind of career it is that does that? I find that whole sort of thing, like childrens development and how they act really interesting. I've already done a diploma in childcare so we did lots of stuff like that in colllege but now I sort of want to expand on it a little. Is it child psychology? Or like...being a health visitor or something? I need help!

Also. If you go to a university could you sort of get an appointment and explain all this to them so they can sort of help you choose what type of course to do? I'm sure not everyone knows what they want to do when they go. Although I guess they might get that help when they're at college.

I'm waffling now. any help would be appreciated :/

Comments

• Options
    i know some universities have careers/course advisors that could help you choose a course or they have open days where if you are interested in a course, you can go along and find out more about it to see if its really what you want. child of our time programme also has a website with more information about getting into those careers - its a blatant advertisement for open university but it might give you some ideas http://www.open2.net/childofourtime/study/val_1.htm

What kind of thing exactly would you like to do with children? there are a lot of different jobs available working with child development in the UK. For example child psychotherapist, psychologist, counsellor; health visitor; youth worker; family support worker; play worker; and many more...
    and lots of qualifications you can do too, depending on what aspect (and what age group) you want to focus on.

I studied psychology at university and have worked with children in lots of different roles since then. I now work with children and families as a family support worker so feel free to pm me if you want an idea of what that kind of job is like. I know there are other thesiters who work with children too so they might be able to offer you and insight to their jobs and how they trained for them too.
  • Options
    not really very helpful but i love child of our time. :D
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    not really very helpful but i love child of our time. :D

I love it too.

It is a mix of child and developmental psychology (generally).