Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What's wrong with my internet?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
It's ridiculously slow.... I don't understand it. Nobody else is using it and I did a speed test and got 160kilobits per second! I said to my mum if she phones NTL they will cut her costs as she's been with them for so long, but I have a dreadful feeling she's argued with them and had the service changed to some stupid 1gb cap a month or something... It will download fast (not as fast as it used to) but then will stop all network activity for a few seconds, then resume, then stop, then resume, like our bandwidth is being limited.

Not the network, so ISP is all there is to blame. They refuse to speak to me as I don't pay the bill, and mum always has to wait for 45 minutes and then they dont tell her anything useful anyway. Ah well, university soon.

Comments

• Options
    Got a router? Turn your firewall off and then download stuff again, see if it helps.
  • Options
    Router has a hardware firewall so I can't turn it off. However, port forwarding is set up for downloads already, and port 80 can pass straight through too.
  • Options
    Why can't it be turned off? Surely, the same would happen if you had power blackout? Switch it off and on... It's the magic cure for everything :)

Why do you need any port forwardings? Are you running a HTTP server?
  • Options
    no, p2p / torrent software. In the router it automatically denies external requests unless you specify to allow them and you can't just 'allow all'. Anyway, it's not the router, it's NTL I'm sure. If I don't use a lot of bandwidth then it's ok, but as soon as it hits 300kB/s then it bangs everything down to 0 for 3/4 seconds.
  • Options
    The same thing happened to me and it was my routers firewall, if you don't have the option to enable/disable then you'll have to try a direct connection to the Internet.

If it's your ISP then there is nothing you can do, it's your ISP's problem so you'll have to get them to sort it, or change ISP's.

You got a wireless network going?
  • Options
    Yea, but everythings been fine up til a few days ago...

something random but not major is that I can't get to 192.168.1.1 through firefox, have to go via ie. Maybe it's cos I've got proxies set up as the local one doesn't work on certain websites (the proxy cache is bad or something, there's a website about NTLs proxies lol)

edit - removed the proxy and straight in :). Ok, so I've got subheadings:

Setup | Wireless | Security | Apps & Gaming | Admin | Status

Setup
    Basic Setup | DDNS | MAC Address Clone | Advanced Routing

Wireless
    Basic Wireless Settings | Wireless Security | Wireless Network Access | Advanced Wireless Settings

Security
    Filter | VPN Passthrough

Apps & Gaming
    Port Range Forwarding | Port Triggering | UPnP Forwarding | DMZ

Admin
    Management | Log | Factory Defaults | Firmware Upgrade

Status
    Router | Local Network

But I am pretty sure it is the ISP. But, better safe than sorry... I need to decide whether I can be bothered to take my computer downstairs to test. Maybe just doing a hard reset would be easier! :razz:

Just turned on the DMZ which means that all data traffic flow goes to my computer apparently. Lets see if there's any improvement...

...ok you wanker, you were right :p. Now, to figure out how to fix it :confused:. Will leave the DMZ on for a while to see if theres any more connection drops, but it's certainly a lot speedier now! Just did a speed test thing and it came in 10x what it did earlier lol :p

Downstream 1,805.5 Kbps ( = 1.8 Mbps )
    Upstream 295.9 Kbps ( = 0.3 Mbps )

Must have a ponder...
  • Options
    DMZ: http://www.tech-faq.com/dmz.shtml

Turn DMZ off and try this:

Go in to your control panel and hit Andministrive Tools >> Services | look for "Wireless Zero Configuration" and if it's enabled, disable it. This can cause problems with wireless networks and browsing because with WZC enabled it will drop your connection for a split second to look for other available networks so your Internet will seem jerky.

If with DMZ off and WZC off you can browse fine then leave it be. Also try flushing your proxy cache.
  • Options
    Seems to have done the trick matey :) thanks a lot for that!
  • Options
    Which thing worked?:thumb:
  • Options
    They refuse to speak to me as I don't pay the bill, and mum always has to wait for 45 minutes and then they dont tell her anything useful anyway. Ah well, university soon.

I've always phoned up ntl even tho my mother pays the bill, after the 45min wait its luck of the draw with what help you can get. Some cant be bothered and you can tell they just reading off the troubleshooting screen(questions like "is the blue cable plugged in", useless stuff like that), others really know their stuff and can learn a lot from them, especially around signals and quality if your having issues with it, such as i was.
  • Options
    Ok, have had to re-enable wireless zero as it couldn't connect to my network without it on. Hmmph.
  • Options
    You using Windows wireless tool to connect to your network?
  • Options
    A guy from NTL made me do loads of tests and after 2 hours sent an engineer out to fix it. He said 'the modem is fine, it must be your computer' so I booted in safe mode... then I said it was fine, had my bandwidth monitor up, then he said download a file (started downloading the bf2 v.14 patch, big enough lol) and the net shut off and he's like 'oh, it says server timed out, thats a bit strange' asked me to do netstat and told him I had no connections open (I'd already told him that but he didn't believe me) and in the end concluded that the modem must be faulty. (I had bypassed the modem straight into my computer).

Then I realised the coaxial cable wasnt plugged in properly :razz: - mind you, after rectifying that, it's still a bit broken (but a definate improvement) and the engineer is free anyway :D so he can give me a new modem which they are rolling out this year to accept the higher bandwidths.

What a con aye??
  • Options
    It's ridiculously slow.... I don't understand it. Nobody else is using it and I did a speed test and got 160kilobits per second! I said to my mum if she phones NTL they will cut her costs as she's been with them for so long, but I have a dreadful feeling she's argued with them and had the service changed to some stupid 1gb cap a month or something... It will download fast (not as fast as it used to) but then will stop all network activity for a few seconds, then resume, then stop, then resume, like our bandwidth is being limited.

Not the network, so ISP is all there is to blame. They refuse to speak to me as I don't pay the bill, and mum always has to wait for 45 minutes and then they dont tell her anything useful anyway. Ah well, university soon.

ok.. i didnt read every post in this thread as lots of it was way beyond my technical understanding but we have NTL in our house too and it is dreadful! always slow, disconnecting randomly, working on some computers and not other's (we have 3 connected wirelessly). and over the past month it has been getting worse - would not work at all for part of last night. they are ridiculously unhelpful when phoning them & the only reason we are sticking with them at all is because we have the tv-phone-internet package and havent yet worked out another way to get all those three things without it costing more.

so sorry, i didnt offer any help just my agreement that NTL suck.
  • Options
    Ok -

so he fixed it and its running fine!! The problems were:

- the coaxial cable was damaged (frayed wires)
    - we had the oldest modem they had which doesn't really support the new speeds properly
    - he said the signal level was too high and so reduced it by 10db.

Currently downloading at a steady 477kb/s :D

Nice chap, call centre is rubbish but the engineers know what they're doing!