Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

BBC: Tories 'decide' that drugs do more harm than alcohol

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/5402008.stm

from the beeb; well thats official then, the tories have 'decided' that drugs do more harm than alcohol. Glad thats settled then.

:banghead:

Comments

• Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Without reading the article, which way around is it? The titile says one way and your post another...
  • Options
    bugger, other way around :)

could you swop that for me please LJ?
  • Options
    A child forensic psychologist said she could foresee the use of ecstasy resulting in "a lot of people with early on-set Alzheimer's" in 40 years time.

"You can take a teeny weenie bit of ecstasy and it can leave a sodding great footprint on your brain," she said.

And what evidence would she be basing this on then exactly? There are no 'sodding great foot prints' at all. What balls.
  • Options
    bugger, other way around :)

could you swop that for me please LJ?
    Done!
  • Options
    Just to point out it was just a conference debate on a 'hot' topic, follwed by an interactive vote of interesting delegates. It's not actually anything to do with party policy or offical party line.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    Just to point out it was just a conference debate on a 'hot' topic, follwed by an interactive vote of interesting delegates. It's not actually anything to do with party policy or offical party line.

No, in fact Cameron has made some welcome noises about drug addiction and treatment investment.
  • Options
    I do like what Transform had to say about it, puts it all in perspective really...
  • Options
    Yep, Transform is a voice of reason.
  • Options
    So what they're saying is "Drugs are worse than drugs" erm ok? :banghead:
  • Options
    How are they defining harm ?

Is it impact on society, cost to society, ani-social behaviour, crime, deaths ?

I'd imagine alcohol does more damage in most if not all cases.
  • Options
    No, in fact Cameron has made some welcome noises about drug addiction and treatment investment.

Not recently though, that particular progressive programme presently has passed into post-leadership pergatory.

In English; it will be a long time before you hear the leader of the conservative party discussing drug liberalisation with the freedom he did as a minister.
  • Options
    Not recently though, that particular progressive programme presently has passed into post-leadership pergatory.

In English; it will be a long time before you hear the leader of the conservative party discussing drug liberalisation with the freedom he did as a minister.

They may not be talking about legalisation, but both Cameron and David Davis have talked about big increases in the funding for treatment, which is something.
  • Options
    i must admit i have not been paying much attention lately, but is this since he's been in leadership?
  • Options
    i must admit i have not been paying much attention lately, but is this since he's been in leadership?

This was at the conference, both him and Davis made reference to it. Although having said that Davis mentioned it in the same sentance as him wanting more prison places, BUT, in the short term at least I think we do need more prison places, or at least better places, no one should slop out, and, unlike Pentonville no prisoner should be held in a place infested with cockroaches where there seems to be a culture of the guards beating the prisoners.
  • Options
    no, quite.
  • Options
    no, quite.

Crazy really, the prison inspectorate finds a distinct culture of disrespect for the prisoners, the whole place is over run with cockroaches and it seems that beatings by staff are regular and yet its not a news story.