Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

on the verge of splitting with my bf...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey guys.

I'm so confused atm, not sure if it's because I'm all hormonal or what, but I almost split up with my boyfriend last night. We've only been together for 6 weeks, but in that time I've spent literally all my time at his house - all my clothes are there, most of my 'little bits of junk (you know the kind of girly stuff you have in your bedroom!) my cds are at his place; even my pet rats are over there! I've spent 4 days at home since me and the bf have been seeing each other, so we're practically living together. I wouldn't normally work so quickly, but I already know that I feel more for this guy than I ever have for anyone else - I know for a fact I love him, and he says he loves me too.

So, it should all be great; but it's not. We get on most of the time, but on a Sunday he likes to go out for a bit of a session at the pub.
It's his only day off and I keep telling him I'll stay at home while he goes out with his mates (he needs time with just his friends and without me tagging along), but he insists on me coming along too. It's good because I get on well with his friends and love being with my bf, but after a few drinks my bf starts arguments for no reason. The last one was when my bf got a phonecall from his mum, and cos he was talking to her, I went over to chat to his friend rather than stand on my own in the middle of the pub like a lemon :lol:. Phil (my bf) didn't say anything at the time, but we left straight away and when we were on our way home he started going mad, saying I was 'putting my body out' in front of his mates. I wasn't :rolleyes:

I ended up walking off, he followed and asked me to come into the house but I pushed him away and went to the pub (handily, there's one at the end of his street! lol). I sat in there, thoroughly pissed off and fully intending to go home (back to my parents' house) afterwards...but I managed about 10 minutes before I started walking back to Phil's. I missed him. He phoned me asking me to come back and I said I was on my way anyway, but when he opened the door I just went upstairs and started running a bath.
We ended up making up.

And that's the sort of thing that happens all the time - one of us (usually him) starts a petty argument - when he starts them they're usually him being jealous or insecure that I'll go off with someone else. They don't last long, and the next day we'll be fine again but it's starting to do my head in.

Another thing that's bugging me is his relationship with his friend Wendy. He met her the day before he met me, got her number etc and now they're mates - which is fine with me. But she started sending him texts at weird times telling him she liked him a lot, couldnt wait to spend the night with him, that she'd just got out of the shower and was "all hot and steamy"...he'd always show me the texts and his replies (usually just "nice..." or something like that), so I was ok with it. Now she phones all the time asking him for lifts - it's usually once a day, but occasionally she'll break all contact with him for a few days,and when she phones again he's excited cos he's missed her. To me, she's manipulating him - I'm sure she's not contacting him for a few days deliberately, so he'll realise how much he misses her and be desperate to see her, but he can't see it. He admits she uses him as a taxi service (the other day, she phoned him on his day off work to ask to be picked up from Stafford and taken back to her house in Rugeley - about 20mins drive - he did it, but then got stuck in traffic. He phoned and asked her to meet him on the main road - literally 200yards from her house - to save going further into a traffic jam but she refused and said "can't you just come down to mine?". The silly sod did it, even though it meant sitting in gridlocked traffic for 45 minutes! She'll even phone him, then wait an hour for him to finish what he's doing before he picks her up, when it would've been quicker to get a bus home :rolleyes:
I went back to my parents' house on Saturday morning, he phoned in sick because he was ill, then the next day when he picked me up he admitted Wendy had stopped over at his house for the night. He thought he'd get brownie points for telling me, but I was SO annoyed. He said she'd come over because she was upset that her mum told her not to go to her stepdad's funeral (I'm sure she's lying about that too, but I can't tell my bf), and he couldn't let her go home upset, so she had the bed (our bed...that pissed me off) and he took the sofa downstairs. I believe him, because there was a sleeping bag on the sofa, and it looked like he'd spent the night downstairs, but the fact he'd had her there while I wasn't annoyed me. I got over it though, and it was all ok until I got he got a text (which I read while he was asleep :blush: ) saying "thanks for last night babe. I do like you a lot and would like to see you again xx" (2 kisses! grr). I woke him up, showed him the text and he said it wasn't a big deal; she was thanking him for letting her stay ovber and being a shoulder to cry on, but admitted she probably sent it to piss me off (job done - well done wendy!). I told him to text her, saying he liked her as a friend but nothing more - to make it crystal clear to her nothing's ever going to happen. He refused, then the next morning said he'd done it. I found a text in his sent messages, saying "thanx for the text last night, my head's swelling now". When I asked him about it, saying that he's encouraging her and asking why, he kept saying he doesn't want to be horrible to her - he can't because he doesn't want to lose her as a friend.
He says that whenever I ask him to tell her about me - he says she knows, but doesn't like him talking about me (and to be fair, my stuff was all up in the bedroom in clear view, and he didn't move it when she was round); he'll even tell me to keep quiet when she phones!

This isn't normal, is it...?
Someone tell me I have a right to be pissed off and that I'm not being an overprotective, jealous girlfriend. Please.

PS - sorry this post is so jumbled/hard to read.

ETA - Wendy's 42, a year younger than my boyfriend, and I'm 23. He's told me that he finds it easier to talk to her and can tell her more stuff than he can me, which makes me so paranoid and insecure. He must have fancied her to get her number, and the fact he thinks so much of her when he's only known her for a few weeks makes me feel like shit. It's like it demeans our relationship and how special I am to him. Obviously not very special if he feels pretty much the same way about her as he does about me!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i'm sorry alasia i can't even reply to this right now because my head is buzzing with so many things to say!!! i've read all your threads from the start of this relationship and everytime theres been a big fuck off WARNING sign that you need to be careful! this whole thing wiith wendy is fucking outrageous!!!
    If you're having this many problems after just 6 weeks is it really worth it? If you get in deeper you may end up getting even more hurt.

He shouldn't allow this woman to send him texts like that and she should respect the fact he has a girlfriend. Sounds like he doesn't respect you or he wouldn't be running around after her. Sorry to be blunt.
    Lipsy I know,that's what led me to the whole 'almost splitting up with him' thing.

I texted him last night and told him not to bother picking me up today (he's supposed to be coming over with his mum after he takes her shopping in stafford), he replied asking if I wanted to split then he phoned...and I didn't know what to say. I asked him if he thought we were working out and if we should take a break, and he just kept saying he loves me.

He's still coming over - I'll just have to have a chat with him later. Easier face to face than over the phone, but I have no idea what I'm going to say.

Btw just post your thoughts - if it's a rant about what a dick he's being or how stupid I am, feel free hun. Considering printing this thread out if I get enough replies and showing it to him. Might make him see sense :rolleyes:

PussyKatty - I agree that she should respect the fact he has a girlfriend, I've told him that (and he agreed), but something about her seems very sly and manipulative. Phil's quite naive anyway, and will do anything for anyone (should also mention that most of his family use him as the local taxi service, because he can't say no). She phoned on monday night at 11pm, then again at midnight and he didn't answer; said it was too late and that he wasn't going to pick her up, then the next morning he got the "thanks for last night" text. That's really low imo, it's like she was jealous he hadnt answered the phone, knew he was probably with me so she decided to piss me off royally. Last time I asked him to text her and make it clear to her he's not interested, he deleted her numbers from his phone, but that doesnt make any difference to me - she can still phone and text him so that was pretty pointless!

I am asking myself if it's worth it - obviously I'm thinking I should end it, but I love him.
    i don't think he loves you. i don't think he gives a shit because he has another woman in his life and he is pandering to her every need. does he care about you or your feelings? what would he do or say if you was getting texts from another man saying how he wants to have sex with you and you replied saying 'nice'?! and what did that last text mean after she had slept in your bed saying 'my heads swelling now'? does that mean he has a lot to think about whether he wants to be with her or you?
    you have asked him to put her in her place and tell her that he only wants her as a FRIEND and he has REFUSED. i think that speaks volumes. get rid.
    Fuck getting rid of her, he's the one I think you need to cut loose. If a bloke ever, ever told me to keep quiet while he jabbered on to some other woman on the phone and was getting responses to texts saying "I do like you a lot" (which sounds to me as if a question had been posed, to be honest) I would probably spark him out, but at the very least I'd be telling him to go forth and multiply. This Wendy doesn't owe you anything, but your boyfriend owes it to you to put you first and treat you as an equal. I think there might be a bit of an age difference issue here, but I'm not entirely sure.

Anyway, so the long and short of it is that he's allowed to have close female friends who sleepover etc, and you aren't allowed to talk to one of his mates in the pub while he's busy talking on the phone and therefor unavailable to you? It is totally fair enough to have good friends of the opposite sex, be flirty etc if you are both allowed to be this way. To be honest it sounds as though he might be deeply insecure about your relationship - especially since you're a lot younger than he is - but that is no excuse for his piss poor behaviour.

It really depends what you want to do now. I think you should ditch him, I do think he is disrespecting you through this close relationship with another woman he has only known for a very short period of time. It also seems that he doesn't trust you as far as he could throw you, unless he has trust issues with his mates [as well?].

So what you need to look at is whether the relationship is worth perservering with. As PussyKatty said, this is a very new relationship so this is probably going to be make or break time. I feel badly for you that you're having so much stress this early on. So I guess you need to think about the following things: you like him because...? Does he makes you feel good about yourself? Make you feel happy and secure in your relationship most the time? Cause you to believe you are someone great and deserving of a boyfriend who will put you front and centre when the chips are down? Does he make your life easier or cause you a lot of grief?

My suggestion is: don't give him another shot. He'd have blown it with me several times over already by now, but obviously you really like him and want to make this work. If you don't want to take that advice, then the only other option is to tell him exactly what you want and need from him. Lay it out clearly and in no uncertain terms. Establish your boundaries with regard to his jealousy, his relationship with Wendy, and with regard to any other issues you have. Clearly define the repercussions if he crosses them, and then ENFORCE those boundaries if he can't do what you ask of him. (ie: leave, end the relationship for good)

It won't work if you continue to be a doormat. To be honest, I haven't seen a single action on his part that says he actually respects you. Respect is a two way street, he expects you to respect his feelings enough not to even chat with his friends (irrational behaviour, if you ask me, but we're all different) but you have to be at peace with his friendship with Wendy and texts that sound as if he's hmming and haaing about a relationship with her. He says and does nice things for you, he wooed you in the start if I remember rightly... but what has he really done to show you respect or that he sees you as his equal? He's not respecting you if he's conducting flirty text conversations with another woman who he admits is trying to make you jealous. What the fuck is that about? If he thinks another woman is trying to make his girlfriend jealous then he should be doing everything in his power to distance himself from her or at least dissolve that situation - knowing it is hurtful to you.

As I said before, I feel badly for you... why can't love just be happy? Seems so unfair that someone as nice as you hasn't found someone who can make you happy more often than sad in a six week relationship.
    im glad briggi came along and gave you such a good reply. i always have loads of things to say but no patience to actually type them out in a clear and concise way!
    Anyway, so the long and short of it is that he's allowed to have close female friends who sleepover etc, and you aren't allowed to talk to one of his mates in the pub while he's busy talking on the phone and therefor unavailable to you?

Wow...I totally missed that one!

Briggi, you're right. Totally. I think drink is a major issue with a lot of the behaviour - he only drinks at weekends, so as soon as he's had a couple of pints he'll be drunk enough to start overanalysing my actions, and seeing things that aren't there - me flirting with his mates, for example. I think he's still a bit touchy (with good reason), because one sunday when we'd gone out with his friends, phil asked me to go home. I agreed - because tbh I was a bit shocked that he'd suddenly come out with it - and I didn't know the way home (being drunk, and the fact this was only our second week of dating or something, so I'd only been to the town a couple of times), so his best mate offered to walk me home. We told phil and he didn't seem bothered (but kept looking back at us as we were walking away), then his mate said he'd come in with me. I probably shouldn't have let him, but his friend has got a gf and I didn't sense that he fancied me or anything - plus it was phil's friend so I couldn't exactly tell him to fuck off and leave me alone (thats how I saw it at the time, anyway). Nothing happened, I spent the entire time going on about how much I liked phil but was upset about what he'd done, his friend agreed it was out of order and then phil came back, went mental etc. He got over it the next day, but he still brings it up from time to time. That could be part of the reason he's wary of me with his friends.
    yeah but remember the last thread alasia, you did admit that you were a bit over-flirty with his mates? but i think that is a different issue to the wendy-thing. whats going on with him and her is completley inexcusable.
    I know. I really have tried my best to work with the Wendy thing - I understand he needs friends he can confide in, and I wouldn't begrudge him that - I've told him to reply to her texts, or phone and check she's ok when he's said he didn't want to (so I've probably only got myself to blame for this whole mess), I haven't asked questions or complained when he's jumped out of bed at 8am to go and meet Wendy for coffee, or when he's gone out to ferry her around between her houses (she has 2). I've even asked Phil to invite her out for a drink with us - not to check up on her or suss her out, but just to kind of hold out an olive branch, and include her in our little group of friends. I've met most of his other friends, so I don't see why I can't get to know her too.

He doesn't see it that way though, and gets all defensive when I mention her.

I'm going to print this thread out and show it to him later, only got an hour or so before he picks me up so feel free to add anymore views.

Oh and thanks for your help so far guys, you're really helping to clear my head x
    As long as he doesnt get drunk and snaps at you for telling people your problems on the net...
    He won't get drunk but he's bound to get a bit weird about it - but it's got to be done.
    Good luck hun :)
    What do you think you're going to do, then? I think it's important that you have a fairly clear idea of where you want today's meeting to take your relationship, otherwise you'll just be so easily swayed by bullshit platitudes and empty words - take it from someone who has been a complete mug in the past.

As I said, if you want to give this another shot then make sure he knows you mean business. You don't have to lay down the law with an iron fist, demand he stops seeing her, or any other demands you don't feel comfortable making. But you have to be sure that he knows you're no doormat, and that you're very unhappy with the relationship as is. I hope you can make the right decision for you; I've been in similar shoes and it's awful.
    He must know I'm unhappy...I've told him often enough!

Problem is he sees me talking to him about stuff as 'an argument', then he'll start saying we always argue. Either that or he'll assume I'm trying to break up with him and tell me to go and find someone else (usually someone younger or that I've got more in common with)

Thing is I don't want anyone else. I love him, feel more for him than I ever have for anyone else and I can really see a future for us - I can't see us splitting up anytime soon (if we can get this worked out), and I've never had that with anyone before. I'm not normally a LTR kind of girl.

That's what's stopping me from ending it. But if he can't work with me on this, then it's got to be done - we either finish it now, or cut right back and I don't move in with him (I'm supposed to be in a couple of weeks), I only see him a couple of times a week and we allow each other to see other people. It's not what I want, but maybe it's what we need.
    also do you actually think anyhting will actually change? even if you can sort the wendy thing out and he tells her he just wants to be friends.. what about all his insecurities and jealousy? if he's drinking every sunday and then arguing with you, is that really something that could change?
    its not working Alasia. If its like this at six weeks it will only get worse.
    He's getting better with the insecurity. Last Sunday when he started going on about me putting out for his mates and I walked off, he said it gave him a wake up call. Course he could have just been saying that, I don't know.
    There have been a few times when we haven't argued after he's been drinking, and times when I've started the arguments so it's not like he's the only one to blame...I've got a tendency to bring the wendy thing up when I'm pissed off, because I know it'll wind him up.

Bit of a destructive relationship isn't it! But we do have a lot of good times, not like we spend our lives arguing. And even when we argue I know we'll be ok again the next day - maybe that's the way he thinks too, and that's why we argue so much? Because we know we'll stay together so we can treat each other like shit at the time. Maybe if there WERE consequences, we might try our best not to argue?

ETA - his last girlfriend was 20 years younger than him too, so imo he can't use the age thing as an excuse. I think we're the only two 'young women' he's been out with though!
    eh? I do remember the post about the pub walkin home incident... and thought then, as I do now- that your bloke is an emotional cripple who externalises his inadequacies by being a fuckwit... Therefore, what's with all the self-analysis and trying to justify his behaviour by finding your own faults? Don't do it. I recommend you go home.

If you really truely think he's worth it, go old-fashioned, date, see each other, sleep over if you want but don't give yourself up to him (in the way you seem to be) without consideration for the future you. Does phil treat you how you'd want to be treated? Imagine that the situation you're in were your best girly friend's situation and that her manipulative, option-keeping, un-worthy, violently inclined, boy-man-friend were behaving like phil -- what would your advise to her be?

In harsh-give-it-to-you-straight concern, and I'm typin this as the same advise I'd give a mate I love, my honest opinion, the truth as I see it is: you have a bit of a problem. Could be way off the mark but, are you harrborring a 'secret' low-self esteem and a desire to 'move on' or even 'escape' from your family home? Does it seem oh-so difficult to carve your own way in the world, like getting a job, making it on to the property ladder and all those other essentially imaterial and yet oh-so material concerns and pressures? Do you think you could 'make it' without him? Do you know what it is you think you want to achieve?

AFAIK, from info available, he has a flat and drives and goes to the pub... AND!!! so fucking what- you can have these things by yourself! What are your personal ambitions, how can you achieve tham without being phil's girl and how does being phil's girl help you achieve them? If being phil's girl means that you give up the pressure of trying for the difficult things you might want, in return for whatever pleasures being phil's girl might be --therein lies your problem...

Correct me, but didn't you not want that much to do with him at first and had just been enjoying a harmless flirt and the pleasure of his male attention when you met? It seems that you didn't even want him that much and are "in-love" with him because you want to be loved and want to be in-love. We all do hun. We all want, need and deserve a bit of happiness and someone to hold and be in-love with. But at what expense? Don't love him because you want to be loved.

blah blah blah
    /rant
    I'm lonely myself so probably not the best person to give emotional/relationship advise but the above post was made with good intention.

x
    argh that sounds like a relationship i was in not so long ago. it was drama filled right from the beginning! we argued loads but always made up and knew that even though i'd say right thats it it's over he would come back apologising saying he loves me and i would take him back. because during the good times he was so lovely and affectionate all the things he did to piss me off would be forgotten about. but let me tell you theres only so much stress in a relationship you should have to put up with! when i finally got rid of him after 3-4months i felt so much relief! i'd rather be on my own than with all that arguing and upset.
    I see your point katralla, and if I was on the outside I'd think that too.

But the truth is, you're wrong. You're right about the low self esteem thing, but I love my family, had a place of my own a couple of years ago before, but moved back home (my mum's got arthritis and needed help around the house at the time). I CAN make my own way in the world, and although it is nice to be loved, I've never been one of those girls that HAS to be in a relationship to feel worthy and loved. I love my personality, I'm friendly, approachable, get on with most people, I'm independant and I have goals - next year I'm going to starting training to be a midwife. The fact he has a house and a car means nothing to me, trust me. I'm not that easily impressed.

I'd be perfectly happy being on my own - ended a relationship with the last guy I was seeing after 2 weeks because I didn't really want to be in a relationship. They scare the hell out of me and up until I met Phil, the idea of being in a long term relationship - or even seeing them again after I'd slept with them - was unimaginable to me, and the most horrifying thing ever.

It's true, I didn't 'fancy' Phil at first, and I thought we'd have nothing in common. But it turns out we do, and he's got the sweetest personality, it's just he also has this jealous, possessive side with a hint of naivety thrown in. I also now REALLY fancy him.
    Everyone's got their faults, but I've just got to work out whether it's worth putting up with a bit of jealousy (which he is getting better with) for the good times. To be honest though, the make or break thing is going to be what he's willing to do about Wendy. I'm not going to ask him to cut her out of his life - I'd never do that - but if he won't tell her exactly where she stands and make it clear to her that he's with me and isn't interested in her, I'll have to end it. Simple as.
    I would certainly insist he stops having contact with Wendy tbh if he wants to be with you.
    But why?

They genuinely are friends - I trust him in the sense that I know nothing's going to happen between them, the only thing that worries me is that she could be manipulating him. And if she is, what if they went out for a drink one day and she came onto him - would he stop her? Not because he wants to cheat on me necessarily, but because he doesn't want to upset her! It's the fact that he's so afraid of hurting her that he'll let her get away with murder that bothers me. She's a grown woman of 42, surely she can cope with the fact that the bloke she fancies is committed (allegedly! lol joking) to someone else?!

I can understand though that he needs someone he can confide in - I've got a (male) friend that I've known for 10 years - we've never met up, but talk on the phone practically every night; he's got me through a lot - I can tell him stuff that I can't tell Phil, but then I've told Phil something fairly major about my past that I haven't told Chris (my friend). I don't think there's anything that Phil could tell me that he wouldn't tell Wendy, and that's where the friendships differ. Plus Chris lives in London (I'm in stafford), and Wendy's just around the corner!
    It shouldn't be this hard at 6 weeks. This is the honeymoon period where you're meant to be inseperable! I say get rid of him. You managed MORE than 6 weeks without him in your life, do it again.

Get yourself someone decent, you seem ready for it.
    alasia wrote:
    We've only been together for 6 weeks
    Breakup, tbh.
    why are you still with him?

you don't trust him; there's no point.
    It seems to me that he's trying to keep her sweet as a back-up option if things don't work out with you - that's why he doesn't want to tell her he only sees her as a friend. My advice would be to tell Phil that it's making you miserable that he won't tell Wendy she's a friend and nothing more, and see how he reacts. If he's more worried about hurting her feelings than he is about hurting yours, I think you have your answer about what you should do about your relationship!
    alasia wrote:
    But why?

They genuinely are friends - I trust him in the sense that I know nothing's going to happen between them, the only thing that worries me is that she could be manipulating him. And if she is, what if they went out for a drink one day and she came onto him - would he stop her? Not because he wants to cheat on me necessarily, but because he doesn't want to upset her! It's the fact that he's so afraid of hurting her that he'll let her get away with murder that bothers me. She's a grown woman of 42, surely she can cope with the fact that the bloke she fancies is committed (allegedly! lol joking) to someone else?!

I can understand though that he needs someone he can confide in - I've got a (male) friend that I've known for 10 years - we've never met up, but talk on the phone practically every night; he's got me through a lot - I can tell him stuff that I can't tell Phil, but then I've told Phil something fairly major about my past that I haven't told Chris (my friend). I don't think there's anything that Phil could tell me that he wouldn't tell Wendy, and that's where the friendships differ. Plus Chris lives in London (I'm in stafford), and Wendy's just around the corner!

Shes not his best buddy, theyve known each other a few weeks and hes putting her before you!
    Youre deluding yourself.
    Hes acting like hes got two girlfriends, and youre just saying "hey, thats fine"
    get out now, it'll be easier to do it now than in 6 months

He's a possesive twit who's got another bit of totty lined up just incase. They deserve each other tbh.
    I don't even know what to begin to make from that, but can I just ask about this Wendy girl.....
    alasia wrote:
    to ask to be picked up from Stafford and taken back to her house in Rugeley - about 20mins drive -

I'd be assuming you live in Rugeley then?
    She'll even phone him, then wait an hour for him to finish what he's doing before he picks her up, when it would've been quicker to get a bus home :rolleyes:

That does seem rather daft when the bus service from Stafford to Rugeley takes half an hour(ish). I'd make your point perfectly clear to your boyfriend that she is almost definetly doing this to irritate you.

But again, tbh if my relationship was that confusing after 6 weeks, I'd be long gone.