Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

ISP's

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, so I'm looking into what ISP I should go for. I don't really want a 12 month contract as being a student I may not be around in 9 months time, although who knows where I'll get a grad job, so it doesn't really bother me too much and I'll just pay the price if I do leave/move it to my new address whichever is easier.

We want and 8mb connection (apparently...flat mate claims he downloads to much to have less), unlimited downloads and the cheapest price possible but with a reliable connection. I think we've narrowed it down to between Tiscali (£17.99) and Demon (£19.99). I heard bad things about them both though and was wondering if anyone had any advice which would be best/stories to put me off them.

Cheers.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    UKOnline. They're cheap, and fast, and their customer support is amazing (I rang them yesterday and an english person picked up straight away)

Also if you put my e-mail address on signup you get your first month free =)
    Oh, between tiscali and demon.. I dunno. I've only been on demon once, We could never get connected, so they cancelled the account for us, 10 months later we discovered they've pilfered 120 odd quid from our bank. never got that refunded, cunts :(
    we were with tiscali they were bog standard.
    i guess you want a rolling contract then?
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    We're with demon and have only really had good experiences with them. I don't think they are the cheapest providers around but we have had no real problems with them at all.
    Kazbo wrote:
    Ok, so I'm looking into what ISP I should go for. I don't really want a 12 month contract as being a student I may not be around in 9 months time, although who knows where I'll get a grad job, so it doesn't really bother me too much and I'll just pay the price if I do leave/move it to my new address whichever is easier.

We want and 8mb connection (apparently...flat mate claims he downloads to much to have less), unlimited downloads and the cheapest price possible but with a reliable connection. I think we've narrowed it down to between Tiscali (£17.99) and Demon (£19.99). I heard bad things about them both though and was wondering if anyone had any advice which would be best/stories to put me off them.

Cheers.

If you're sharing the cost I'd look into Be internet for 24 mb/s unlimited for £24 a month

also they've only got 10,000 custoemrs so the chances are you aint going to be sharing with too many people - but O2 just paid £50 million for them so they ant gona go bust either although I think there might be a 12 month contract
  • Saeed MSaeed M Posts: 270 The Mix Regular
    If you're sharing the cost I'd look into Be internet for 24 mb/s unlimited for £24 a month

also they've only got 10,000 custoemrs so the chances are you aint going to be sharing with too many people - but O2 just paid £50 million for them so they ant gona go bust either although I think there might be a 12 month contract

I'm with Be and can confirm that they are really good and fast. However, they do have a limited coverage. You'd have to check whether you can get it first.
    Saeed M wrote:
    I'm with Be and can confirm that they are really good and fast. However, they do have a limited coverage. You'd have to check whether you can get it first.

Oh do tell - what you on.... the full £24 a month package or the £14 per month Be Lite?

They've only got 10,000 customersso they should be fast - they're in a lot of exchange considering their size, not sure what O2 will do - probably rebrand the name to O2 just like orange did.

Can you use those analouge ports on the back of the modem?

What are they anyway? I known one is for telephone and fax, what's the 3rd port?

Do you know the model make, wanted to look it up onthe web.

£24 a month is worth it if you got a neighbour to share with
    ive had tiscali for about 4 years, no problems at all.

I hear there customer service is awful, but as ive had no problems i have never needed to find out !

Just my 2c
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Used Demon for 3 years without a problem.