Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Christmas

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Yeah i know. It's a good 12 weeks away, but the odd thing is creeping into the shops. Christmas cards discreetly placed where the barbecue fuel used to be. The giant tins of Celebrations and Quality Street stacking up in the sweet aisle, and the sherry on permanent offer !

But anyway, Christmas. You looking forward to it ?

I can't wait. Got a new bf, got him a fab pressie ( LCD tv/DVD combi shhhhh don't tell him :) ). Be able to have a real fire in our great new home, having a party the Saturday before, having a New Year's Eve' party for a few friends with fireworks :D Looks like it's gonna be great for a change :D

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Not really, don't care much about christmas, but it will be good to have it this year with scc and hopefully Lenny, if he doesn't go to his fucking dad, last year was not bad either... spend it alone and did nothing...
    it doesn't feel like it's christmas in 12 weeks. when i walk into a shop selling christmas stuff i'm like what!

i'm looking forward to it as i'm spending it in london with my sister, brother-in-law and 1 and a half year old nephew. :D
    and 1 and a half year old nephew. :D

Oh yes, my Godson is just realising about Santa. He is gonna be so spoilt this year :)
    I used to think you were cool, rubber. I even once tried sending you my meet simba and sock document I made, cuz I thought your Rudy might have enjoyed it, they could have even been pen pals, but couldn't. Now I'm having second thoughts. :crying: Its not even haloween.
    bah humbug.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Christmas will be good. Looking forward to it. We're hosting it this year and my parents and brother will be coming which will be very interesting ...
    I love it! Being in warm and cosey with loved ones, presents, great food and drink! And all the parties. It's just the following miserable, cold, grey months i hate.
    I love christmas. :)
    I got told off for mentioning something about Christmas on Saturday...
    Im really looking forward to it this year, Abbie was only 4 weeks old last Christmas so it's all going to be about her this year. Not that she'll know it's Christmas but I know she'll love all the lights, the tinsel, the tree etc. And then there's actual Christmas day, I love it and the stupid family argument that made last year pretty crap have been resolved so everyone can spend it together this year.

And of course, Christmastime means my birthday :hyper:
    I know this is going to make me sound miserable but no I'm not looking forward to Christmas.

My parents are getting divorced, won't know where to go. It will probably be the one day of the year that my mum and dad are in the same room and it will be tense.

I'm the youngest (24) so am expected to be excited/revert back to being a kid.

I only get Christmas day and boxing day off work so can't really go and see my family (who live all over the country).

I don't have much money to buy presents. I don't have a boyfriend. Don't have kids. I think Christmas is good when you are a kid yourself, when you're in a loving relationship, or when you have your own family. The in between bits aren't all that great.

Oh well at least it's an excuse to get pissed and eat loads. And I'm going to Tunisia in December
    :yes:
    I'm not looking forward to 3 weeks of 10 hour shifts, but I am looking forward to Christmas. I always do :) I suppose there are things that could make this Christmas better but it will be good anyway. I bought a present yesterday, I couldn't stop myself :o
    I don't like Christmas. The day is bad enough but on top of that you get the happy-family-everything-is-wonderful bullshit rammed down your throat for three months before hand.

I don't have a problem with people enjoying Christmas its just that its not a particularly happy day for me and I'd rather not be constantly reminded of it. Or made to feel guilty that I'm some kind of twisted Scrooge-esque character because I don't like it...its not like I'm going to go around beating children to death with their brand new X-Men toys in a fit of holiday rage!

I just want to ignore it until the day itself and then get steadily drunk until its over. Is that so bad?
    Oh God, it not even halloween yet, do you we have to dicuss Xmas? It will be nice to see various family etc, even if my brother has to work xmas eve and boxing day so I dont see him until the week after. And then theres the ani-climaz of New Year, which I intend this year to drink enough vodka so I pass out drunk and dont have to listen to the three hours worth of fireworks that get set off.
  • Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    Christmas sucks balls.
    I'm looking forward to time alone with my family. I'm not looking forward to Christmas without my (now ex) boyfriend :(
    Nope, the thought of going home a failure (in my Mam's eyes at least) with my tail between my legs doesn't really fill me with joy.

Too early to worry about that though, loads of stuff to happen before then.
    Whens everyone putting there decorations up? I am planning on doing sometime after mid November.
    HIT wrote:
    Whens everyone putting there decorations up? I am planning on doing sometime after mid November.

We don't put up decorations. :p My parents did. They put up the tree and and my dad is so anal with the lights. Makes sure every single one is pointing the same way in a straight line... they did that about 2 weeks before christmas. Any earlier, imo is too earlier. Early December at the latest.
    my_name wrote:
    We don't put up decorations. :p My parents did. They put up the tree and and my dad is so anal with the lights. Makes sure every single one is pointing the same way in a straight line... they did that about 2 weeks before christmas. Any earlier, imo is too earlier. Early December at the latest.
    I always put my decorations up in November. I'm 18 and still as exited as when I was 8.

I thought Americans were well known for going ott with decorations, putting them up months in advance?
    HIT wrote:
    I always put my decorations up in November. I'm 18 and still as exited as when I was 8.

I thought Americans were well known for going ott with decorations, putting them up months in advance?

I'm sure there are, but I'm sure theres just as many that don't. Theres a couple ott houses around my neighborhood. Putting up flying lighted bats and 17 foot tall blow up black cat on top of a pumpkin. God I hate those blow up things. They got the grinch for christmas time too, a turkey for thanksgiving. They are just tacky and make the neighborhood look trashy.

Though I'll never forget, around christmas time maybe 2-3 years ago we were driving around a town in Wisconsin. A house caught our attention so much that we stopped and reversed back. A small house on a small lot, so not that much room, had 17 blow up things. Not small ones, those big huge fuck all ones. Front yard, side, back yard... on the roof... I believe they had 3 on the roof. Micky mouse included. So scary.
    I love christmas time! I love all the shops being done up and the christmas songs. And all the streets lit up! And i love it when we have the tree up and all the other bits. Hate the cold and buying presents though. Oh and i hate the tacky lights. Theres a family on the next street that put them up on bonfire night and leave them there till the end of january. It's always nasty tacky stuff too. WHY?!
    The people who live next door to my folks have this big lights display on every year.

It wouldn't be quite so bad if the billions of people who came down to gawp at them could actually control their kids, rather than letting them run wild on the street and scaring the living shite out of my dog.

This Christmas, I think I'll invest in a big fuck off metal pole, and if any of the little shits come anywhere near my house, they can get an extra special visit from Santa in Accident and Emergency.

Ho ho ho.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    HIT wrote:

:o

That's mental.

They shouldn't go up before the start of December.

We put ours up 12 days before Christmas, at the earliest. They come down 12 days after.
    Decorations in this house go up on December 1st, and usually come down a few days after boxing day.

Im going to have my first ever real tree this year :hyper:

Just hope Archie doesnt pee on it :o
    our decs go up on 1st of December cos it's my brother's birthday and that's what we've always done

they come down on the 12 day of Christmas and not a moment sooner :D

i've started looking (and bidding!) on things on ebay for christmas prezzies for my family :eek2:
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    HIT wrote:
    First weekend in December for me.
    Ho Ho Ho. Fuck off.

This year will be mental Christmas sales at work (prep going on right now for next week) The only bit I actually enjoy is the few hours before end of trade on Christmas Eve when everyone gets excited and the managers literally tellteh straggling customers to bugger off because the staff all have homes to get to.

At home it will probably be my mum and I and she'll cook masses of food for the both of us. We'll visit a few relatives (maybe) and then return home. Christmas has never really been all that as Jon_UK said "happy-family-everything-is-wonderful bullshit" I have never had a giant family gathering. Might even go out to a club or something.
    Jazza wrote:
    Christmas has never really been all that as Jon_UK said "happy-family-everything-is-wonderful bullshit" I have never had a giant family gathering.

Me neither. I can count my 'good' Christmases on one hand. But this year, in parts, has gone so well for me i wanna round it off nicely. I don't think peeps who hate Christmas are selfish or anything else. I know from my own experience it can be a fucking hard time :(
    I want my brother to come down for Xmas because its not the same without him. But I doubt that will happen. :( Our decs go up later every year, they went up about the 20th last year. Always come down on 12th night. I just cant get excited about it anymore.