Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Crap Libaries

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Does anyone else suffer from their university libraries being Rubbish? Term is about to start and Ive looked online at some of the recommended reading for my modules. For one of my modules out of the 4 books the uni library only stocks two, and only has one copy of each. These 'essential reading' books are out on Month long loans rather than on Temporary Reserve or short loan. On another module i checked the Library has nothing stocked at all. It makes me so mad the fact that my course may be detrimented if i dont fork out around £100 for books.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Does your department not have a library? That could be worth a shot.

Is there a request/suggestion list for the library? Go and put all the books on the recommended reading onto that list. Another thing to try would be the staff/student link committe or whatever your equivalent is called in your department. It seems very daft that no where in the uni had these books.

I guess I'm spoilt with our selection but my department copy has a 'not for release' copy of all our core books, as does my college library, as well as usually having a couple of copies available for standard loan.
  • Options
    Do you know of anyone who has done your course and has finished whatever year you're in now?
  • Options
    That's pretty crap. For my courses, if there are any essential books for the course, the lecturer puts them on 3 day loan or confines them to the library so if you try and take it out, an alarm will sound and burly men will beat you with truncheons.
  • Options
    You should have a look around campus and in your department for notices put up by people selling second hand books. These are cheaper than new copies and can save you some pennies. My uni also has a second hand bookshop so maybe yours does too?

Lastly, you can generally put a hold on whatever book you need and if the system is good like ours, if a certain number of people put a hold on the same book, it automatically gets transfered to the "short loan," section.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Or if you cant find them cheap second-hand around campus, try local second-hand bookstores or ebay. Try complaining to the libarary/department first.
  • Options
    My local library is shit. The librarian was talking to a foreign person like they were stupid. I didn't go back.
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    Renzo wrote:
    Does anyone else suffer from their university libraries being Rubbish? .

god yes ;[[
  • Options
    I definatly suggest going online. I was pointed in the direction of a website that lists the top 10 places of a particular book and their prices. Most books I found, brand new, for half that the bookstore was selling them for. Definatly ask and look around. Bookstores are such a rip off. Shipping costs, doncha know, so when you can buy them individually you'll save a bundle. Just make sure to have the ISBN number and you'll be in for a breeze.
  • Options
    If you are looking to buy some books online I recommend Amazon.co.uk. You can buy brand new books on there for cheaper than the RRP but you also have the option of buying second hand copies as well from ex students and such like. In that respect its a bit like ebay but without the auction, its just a set price for the second hand books.
  • Options
    I would say that it is not the libraries fault but the lecturers for not ensuring that there are adequate stocks of the recommended texts easily available to the students.

libraries respond to the wishes of people running the courses so it is thier responsibility........
  • Options