Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Work Experience - Solicitor

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Do solicitor firms offer work experience placements to people who are interested in such a career in the future? i.e to someone who is not yet at uni and just wants to get to know more about what goes on and how things work.

Or do you have to wait until your at uni and actually have to find a training placement at that time?

Thanks if anybody knows! x

Comments

• Options
    Bigger firms tend to be over-subscribed with applicants, and many smaller firms don't have the resources to take on work experience people. You will need to ask around a bit, but do persevere.

If you ask enough you'll find someone who will take you on, most people are happy for the extra work if they have the space, certainly where I used to work took work experience people on from the age of 14, and it was an interesting experience too. Try the smaller high-street firms as they do tend to have the space, but they also send polite letters back saying no more often too.

You will be fine if you ask enough and persevere. Being honest I found the easiest place to try was the courts service, and I worked for two weeks in the crown court and family court as a work experience person when I was 14.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Bigger firms tend to be over-subscribed with applicants, and many smaller firms don't have the resources to take on work experience people. You will need to ask around a bit, but do persevere.

If you ask enough you'll find someone who will take you on, most people are happy for the extra work if they have the space, certainly where I used to work took work experience people on from the age of 14, and it was an interesting experience too. Try the smaller high-street firms as they do tend to have the space, but they also send polite letters back saying no more often too.

You will be fine if you ask enough and persevere. Being honest I found the easiest place to try was the courts service, and I worked for two weeks in the crown court and family court as a work experience person when I was 14.

Thanks for replying. Iv'e wrote a letter to send out to a few firms, mainly ones that are more local, not big towns or anything and will hopefully get some replies. Just didn't know if they offered such placements.

What kind of things did you do at the crown court?
  • Options
    I did a work experience placement in Manchester in the Magistrates courts.

It was an interesting experience to say the least. I didn't do much though tbh. I just watched loads of cases and was shown how the courts work and such. We had to do these little portfolio things about our experience.

I also got to sit in the jail van and a cell as well as getting handcuffed. Hahaha.