Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Boris acts like an Arse again.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/5402100.stm

Surely you can't go 'too far' with encouraging healthy eating in schools? Perhaps the only place where kids can get them?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think he's spot on, actually.

Schools should be forced to provide a certain standard of food, but if parents don't want the kids to have that, it is a parental decision and a parental decision only. The vitriol aimed at those women in Rotherham was digusting (Jonathan Ross should be immediately dismissed for what he said) and is none of the business of the schools or political leaders.

The second you try and punish and vilify people for not eating what you tell them to, and not drinking what you tell them to, then you have gone too far. It is none of the Government's business what I choose to put in my mouth and my kids' mouths; the Government is solely there to preserve a certain level of standards in services it provides and controls.

The new laws regarding car seats are yet another sign of a power-freak Government sticking their nose in where its not wanted to make us all good little sheeple. Johnson is right here too.

It's great to see the neutral BBC again impartially reporting on Boris Johnson and the Conservative Party. Time for the Trotskyite BBC to be shut down and sold off, me thinks.
    Kermit wrote:
    I think he's spot on, actually.

Schools should be forced to provide a certain standard of food, but if parents don't want the kids to have that, it is a parental decision and a parental decision only. The vitriol aimed at those women in Rotherham was digusting (Jonathan Ross should be immediately dismissed for what he said) and is none of the business of the schools or political leaders.

The second you try and punish and vilify people for not eating what you tell them to, and not drinking what you tell them to, then you have gone too far. It is none of the Government's business what I choose to put in my mouth and my kids' mouths; the Government is solely there to preserve a certain level of standards in services it provides and controls.
    If some parents are so unhappy with the school meals they're kindly adviced to take their kids out and give them home education where the little darlings can eat as many chips as they please and be happy and content.

But parents do not have the right to torpedo the school policy. Give the kids a lunch pack if they must. But don't take orders from the kids for the local chippy- and in particular, from other people's kids.

It's only too bad the mother of one of the kids those women were buying junk food for didn't show up and smear a serving of chips over their faces.
    It's great to see the neutral BBC again impartially reporting on Boris Johnson and the Conservative Party. Time for the Trotskyite BBC to be shut down and sold off, me thinks.
    What are you talking about?

It has always been policy not only of the BBC but of all other media to report what's said on fringe meetings. Perhaps it's the Tory Party that should be shut down and sold off- or at least some of their politicians.
    Why is it you are using one sole little example of one school and one set of parents as a a rule for all parents nationwide, aladdin?

Yes, school should provide a standard of food that is good quality and not too saturated in fat, but they should not only provide food that is all vegetables and no meat or food that children will never eat. Only fools think children will eat what is put infront of them. I know i didnt eat school dinners at all and my school had to ask my mum to provide me with a lunch to take in with me because they were worried about me not eating in school. I was happy to eat a lunch i took in, but never ever could stomach the school food, not the healthy or crappy.

Boris Johnson in right to make a comment he is after all a free person with an opinion and im sure many people will agree with him. Further more he is a politician who might well be in power come the next election and it is right he be honest with what he thinks i say.

Kermit is right, and i rarely say that, but he very very very spot on this time! Bravo Kermit, Bravo, i applaud you.
    Boris is spot on (except for the bit about Scots votes). At the end of the day schools should have to offer healthy food, but its parents who are ultimately responsible and if they want to feed their kids fish and chips, its tough.

Frankly the pressure to always eat healthy is getting way beyond stupidity and soon all we'll be able to eat is what the self imposed food police allow us to.

And as for booster seats - its such a dumb idea that if it had been 1st April I'd have said it was a April Fool's joke. Fucking hell its bad enough getting toddlers in a seat - imagine trying to get a first year high school student in a booster seat.
    Boris is just a figure of fun!

There is no way in the world i would ever vote for a party that he was to be a part of. He should stick to Have I Got News For You and other TV shows, were he is considred a joke!

I do believe that everybody has the right to eat whatever they like, however these mothers pushing junk food thru the school fence, deserve to be shot. What chance have their children got in life when faced with parents like these?

As a nation we have some of the fattest kids in the world. These kid are supposed to be our future, yet some of them will be so fat and unhealthy they cant leave the house let alone work!

Shame on you Boris, Jamie Oliver has made more of a contribution to politics/ government policy that you will ever do!

:thumb:
    Boris is great, more politicians should take a leaf out of his book and speak with honesty instead of propaganda
    I think Boris is great also...

but on TV shows like Have I Got News For You.

I really wouldn’t want this guy to be in charge on policy, or deciding what’s best for children in school.

He is obviously an olive short of a pizza, I for one wouldn’t feel safe with him running the country and making decssions that effect our future.

But he is good for laughing at on TV !
    Bullseye wrote:
    Why is it you are using one sole little example of one school and one set of parents as a a rule for all parents nationwide, aladdin?

Yes, school should provide a standard of food that is good quality and not too saturated in fat, but they should not only provide food that is all vegetables and no meat or food that children will never eat.
    But that hasn't happened has it? Meat is still being served. Chips and crappy burgers are not. The immense majority of those kids who are moaning about the new food do so because they miss their chips, not because they have an aversion or even an actual dislike of the alternatives.
    Boris Johnson in right to make a comment he is after all a free person with an opinion and im sure many people will agree with him. Further more he is a politician who might well be in power come the next election and it is right he be honest with what he thinks i say.
    I don't think anyone was suggesting he doesn't have a right to voice his opinion. Just as others have the right to denounce him as the irresponsible fool he is.
    Incidentally, chips are about 20-30 times more expensive than cous-cous.

So not only are some parents insisting on feeding their children unhealthy shit, it's costing them a lot more too.

If smoking in front of children is a no-no, as countless people in this very forum said during a recent discussion, feeding them deeply unhealthy should be no different.

In fact, allowing them to eat McShit, fish and chips etc on a daily basis is infinitely worse than lighting up in front of them.
    Aladdin wrote:
    But that hasn't happened has it? Meat is still being served. Chips and crappy burgers are not. The immense majority of those kids who are moaning about the new food do so because they miss their chips, not because they have an aversion or even an actual dislike of the alternatives.

And?

It is of no concern to the Government what I feed my kids.

It is none of the State's business if I choose to feed my kids chips every night- I pay my tax, they pay their tax, so the Government can butt out.

Johnson is completely right- healthy eating has gone too far. As usual, its been taken over by the Nazis and the nanny state, and any parent who dares to feed their kid owt but broccoli is victimised and threatened with all sorts.

If my kid wants to eat chip stotties, and I don't mind him doing so, everyone else can mind their own.
    Do you object to there being no crappy option at school kermit?
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Do you object to there being no crappy option at school kermit?

I think schools should be forced to provide a certain standard of food, but I don't think pupils should be forced to eat it.
    The healthy eating brigade has gone too far. Since when have kids lived on salad? Isn't it going a bit too far when the school canteen has a salad bar? The thing is there are extreme cases - kids who are stupidly obese and who have through poor parenting quite literally been allowed to live on shitty fast food since they were a toddler. But should such cases shape policies for everybody else? For most kids a little too much junk food doesn't equate to obesity. - Lets remember the exercise issue is sort of being forgotten...

It's all about moderation - and if the healthy eating stuff is pushed too far, there will be (as there already has been to some extent) a backlash.
    I think largely its about educating the parents, many of them really dont have a clue about what to feed their kids or what they really are feeding their kids.

True story (my sister is a nurse).

She had a woman in the clinic and she was still feeding the kid milk when it was time to move to solids. So my sister suggested to her that she could try her on something a little different to see how she went. The woman came back pleased as anything the next week 'I got him to drink some coke and he loved the donna meat I gave him'.

However, having said that if parents want to give a packed lunch then fine, but I dont think the kids should be allowed out to go to the chippy.
    Kermit wrote:

Yes it is. They just don't have the right to intervene.
    It is none of the State's business if I choose to feed my kids chips every night- I pay my tax, they pay their tax, so the Government can butt out.

Provided that you are happy to pay more tax for those who need the additional healthcare - type 2 diabetes is on the rise, with all the serious side effects of that. This is going to cost taxpayers in the future.

It's not often that the people making these decisions about what they eat are also aware of the longterm impact of those choices.
    I really wouldn’t want this guy to be in charge on policy, or deciding what’s best for children in school.

He is obviously an olive short of a pizza, I for one wouldn’t feel safe with him running the country and making decssions that effect our future.

I don't feel too safe with tony blair in charge tbh, bring on boris.
    Kermit wrote:
    And?

But it is certainly their business if you choose to ignore their rules in THEIR schools.

Feed your kids all the chips you want outside the school. But if the school is emphasising healthier diets and is specifically banning certain foods you should either ensure your kid puts up with it, or take them out of the school.
    Kermit wrote:
    I think schools should be forced to provide a certain standard of food, but I don't think pupils should be forced to eat it.
    Fair enough. So if your kids don't like what's on the menu, that's their and your problem right?
    Yeah, i agree with that, if my kids didnt like anything on the menu at school, id be happy to pack them up a lunch to take in with them.
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Fair enough. So if your kids don't like what's on the menu, that's their and your problem right?

Yep.

What the school can't do is the go and get its panties in a wad because you go and override their menu by buying junior a chip stottie.

If we don't like the menu, we don't eat in the school canteen. Seems fair dos to me.

Since when did a school get the right to dictate what can and cannot be fed by a parent to their child? Sounds very Stalinist to me.
    there should be a basic standard of food and healthy options should be there, but education is the key to a healthy life style and exercise but parents shouldnt put incredibly fatty foods through the fences.

he also criticised the booster seat law as "utterly demented",

have you heard the rest today, Boris said that Jamie oliver is a "national hero" (back pedaling, i love it, goes with politicians too well)
    and Cameron's response was "what do you do with a problem like Boris?"

he's a joke but i love him and every times hes in the news it brightens up my day!
    The healthy eating brigade has gone too far. Since when have kids lived on salad? Isn't it going a bit too far when the school canteen has a salad bar? The thing is there are extreme cases - kids who are stupidly obese and who have through poor parenting quite literally been allowed to live on shitty fast food since they were a toddler. But should such cases shape policies for everybody else? For most kids a little too much junk food doesn't equate to obesity. - Lets remember the exercise issue is sort of being forgotten...

It's all about moderation - and if the healthy eating stuff is pushed too far, there will be (as there already has been to some extent) a backlash.

What a wonderful slant you’ve put on the situation. Firstly you make the assumption that kids are being told to live on salad, presumably as you equate healthy eating with exclusively eating salad, and secondly you ponder the all-too-muchery of a salad bar. I mean, where are the chips and mechanically recovered meat at a salad bar? The world must have gone mad!

And as for whoever it was that suggested earlier in the thread that it would be foolish to expect kids to eat what is put in front of them; you are exactly what is wrong with kids’ eating habits today.

The odious women buying chips for kids at the school should be shot. I’ve can just about accept that it’s legal for her to abuse her own child, but for her to presume it’s ok to abuse other people’s kids, it’s utterly ridiculous.
    I think dis has a damn good point given your response - I've worked with people who were severely sexually and physically abused as children. People who were tortured, maimed, and permanently psychologically damaged. The idea that this is on par with handing out burgers is fundamentally, unforgivably insulting to those who are abused, and those who deal with that abuse.

I also find it amazing that we have now gone from 'all rapists should be killed' to 'all people giving out burgers should be killed'.

Being fat isn't a crime, giving out burgers isn't child abuse, and it certainly doesn't justify the parents' murder or execution.
    Jim V wrote:
    I think dis has a damn good point given your response - I've worked with people who were severely sexually and physically abused as children. People who were tortured, maimed, and permanently psychologically damaged. The idea that this is on par with handing out burgers is fundamentally, unforgivably insulting to those who are abused, and those who deal with that abuse.

I also find it amazing that we have now gone from 'all rapists should be killed' to 'all people giving out burgers should be killed'.

Being fat isn't a crime, giving out burgers isn't child abuse, and it certainly doesn't justify the parents' murder or execution.

What exactly what Dis's good point? That salad bars in schools are a step beyond the reasonable? That kids are being expected to live on salad alone?

I didn't suggest either that feeding your kids shite was directly comparible with sexual or physical torture. I do think, however, that a women who actively seeks to bypass food which is beneficial to her childs health, and not only that, but to actively seek out and provide food which is detrimental to the health of her child, is an abuse of her position as a parent and care-giver.

Also, i don't actually think the women should be executed. It was, as i suspect you know, an exageration on my actual feelings of utter disdain for the women.
    I do believe allowing your children to eat an unhealthy diet is a lot, lot worse than smoking in front of them- a practice that infuriates many people in this forum.
    People smoking in front of their kids doesn't bother me especially; people smoking in front of me bothers me. But then I'd be pretty pissy if someone tried to force a Greggs pasty down my throat too.

schools should have to provide a good standard of food, but no way does that mean that kids should have to eat what the school provides. as Johnson says, if I want to pass pies through the school gates, what concern is it to anybody else?

Dis has a point too, what good does only serving salad do to anyone? Kids won't eat it because it tastes of nothing.