Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Web justice - name & shame paedophiles?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
BBC Radio 5 were talking about this web justice yesterday where people can name and shame others such as bad dates or even criminals.

They took an interest in catchaperv.com which is a website dedicated to naming and shaming web perverts by acting as a child in a chat room in the hope that old pervs will start getting horny. When the pervs start talking dirty to what they think is a child the catchaperv.com guys will ask them to start their webcam, once they get their picture they will then put it the website plus the chat transcript for everyone to see.

One guy has hit back and posted a coment saying:
i am writing to protest at the treatment given by this website.i did not ask for a meet or for any sexual activity, in fact you people asked to see me.not only am i being humiliated, but you are putting my family at risk of being shamed when all that happened was a small amount of risque chat (note: this risque chat was with what he thought was a 12 year old girl).i already emailed you to tell you that it was a one-off and will not happen again, so will you consider removing me from the site please?

http://www.catchaperv.com/?page_id=13

So what do you think about this type of thing? Is it a good idea or just stupid?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    well naturally people can register others on there as revenge without any actual evidence.
    I think it's only a matter of time before someone gets killed.
    What MoK said. Fiend is right as well.
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    well naturally people can register others on there as revenge without any actual evidence.

I take it you haven't looked at their site before posting your comment :rolleyes:. People don't "register others". It's the two guys that do the work and thats it, they wait in chat rooms for perverts to contact them.

In the US they have websites so you check your area to see if there are any sex offenders that live near you, do some research and you'll see that this has had a possitive effect and there has only been a small number of people that have abused the service.

Hopefully we will get the same type of thing here.
    You read too many rag papers.

It's a dumb idea. I think MoK is about right.
    These two blokes could say what the fuck they liked.
    Unless of course it's regulated. In which case, who by?
    Fucking funny page, its a good idea in principle, those sick bastards deserve it!

Also on re-reading this thread, it is on very dodgy ground.. and would be better coming from a regulated body.
    Makoto wrote:
    I take it you haven't looked at their site before posting your comment :rolleyes:. People don't "register others". It's the two guys that do the work and thats it, they wait in chat rooms for perverts to contact them.

In the US they have websites so you check your area to see if there are any sex offenders that live near you, do some research and you'll see that this has had a possitive effect and there has only been a small number of people that have abused the service.

Well, I'm glad you've thought it through so well mr "rolleyes" MoK is right. There's a system for a reason, and anyone knows that the intelligence of a mob is the IQ of the thickest memeber divided by how many people there are.
    Stop being such an ignorant little girl fiend. :rolleyes:
    You read too many rag papers.

How did you work that out.
    Makoto wrote:

it doesnt work because it alienates people who have been released from prison incresing the chances they reoffend, and there are say for example 16year old guys done for statutory rape on their 15 year old girlfriends

also it lulls people into a false sense of security

another problem is that youll never avoid ex-convicts for sex crimes, cause theres more than enough for one to be in every town
    I think it's only a matter of time before someone gets killed.

Indeed. There was an incident in the UK a few years ago, where a so called paedophile was 'outed' ( can't remember who did it, might of been local press or word of mouth ) and the guy was half beaten to death. Then it was later discovered this poor guy was totally inocent and had been some huge cock up.

As a survivor i don't want to see groups of vigilantes crawling the streets looking for paedos to beat the crap out of, and that's what will happen. I really hate my dad (don't worry he's dead so not slandering/libelling anyone) for what he did to me, but i wouldn't of wanted him beaten up or killed, even if it was anyone else that had abused me. I wanted him dealt with properly by the law of the land, though unfortunately that time has long since passed.

Yes, it's a vile and evil crime but having gangs of vigilantes going through the streets beating the crap out of people because 2 guys think they've caught a paedophile is not on, and this is what more than likely will happen.
    That website is stupid.

What's it going to do?

Make a paedophile think 'see the light' and think 'wow surree...after those 15 year old boys just named and shamed me..gawsh...I dont think I'll wank over 12 year old girls no more'. No, it'll make them go underground.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Fucking funny page, its a good idea in principle, those sick bastards deserve it!

Also on re-reading this thread, it is on very dodgy ground.. and would be better coming from a regulated body.

Exactally.

But when Autorities fail to suceed, people will take a stand. People care about these issues and dislike the fuckers grooming children. So name and shame the bastards.

But as said, dodgey ground, and the proof is sketchy at best. The police should take action like this more.
    There's no justice like angry mob justice.

Incidentally, I watched the Brass Eye paedophile special for the first time not that long ago. That's gotta be one of the best pieces of satire I've ever seen.
    Makoto wrote:
    Stop being such an ignorant little girl fiend. :rolleyes:
    You're right. I've just changed my entire perspective on life (despite a paediatrician being beaten up because people thought he was a paedophile) because of the weight of undeniable logic in your argument.
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    You're right. I've just changed my entire perspective on life (despite a paediatrician being beaten up because people thought he was a paedophile) because of the weight of undeniable logic in your argument.

Not quite true

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4719364.stm
    The article however doesn't deny that at least one paediatrician was targeted because some thick as fuck twats couldn't even tell the difference between them and a paedophile, and perhaps more alarmingly didn't think strange that a peado would willingly put a brass plate in their front door announcing they were a kiddie fiddler.

Such websites, and the disgraceful campaign by the Screws can and will only lead to hounding, persecution (often of the wrong target) and driving sex offenders underground.

_41339278_portsmouth203pa.jpg
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    How can anyone confuse "paediatrician" with "paedophile"? Let's ignore the fact that the two words are so different (cause I do believe people can be stupid enough not to notice) but someone who's a paedophile wouldn't write it on a business card or hang a sign outside their office, would they???
    How can anyone confuse "paediatrician" with "paedophile"? Let's ignore the fact that the two words are so different (cause I do believe people can be stupid enough not to notice) but someone who's a paedophile wouldn't write it on a business card or hang a sign outside their office, would they???
    That's tabloid newspaper readers for you...

You only have the webmaster's word for it that what they print is accurate. And its not hard to put a fake webchat log on the internet to spite someone you don't like.

I think it is very dodgy, and very dangerous. It's hard to argue against some nonce getting a beating, but it is wrong to promote it and encourage it. And its certainly wrong to do it in a climate where people are idiots who don't check the facts- how many people could look like one of the "perverts" they got a screenshot of? Hundreds, if not thousands.

It's nice to see the idiot Makoto back, mind.
    They have a TV show where they do this in the US, its like a mix of candid camera and a really nasty version of crimewatch.

But the police thought it was kids and I'm pretty sure some of them would think that.

But then again we don't know the motive whether it was connected to the NotW campaign, kids larking about or even just a personal grudge.
    hunt them down and kill them all...

Who? The paediatricians?

Point 1: Old thread.
    Point 2: Anyone notice that the most homophobic people tend to be homosexuals in denial? See where I'm going with this?