Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Learner Legal Motorcycles.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Not sure what section to ask this, but does anyone here ride a motorbike? My gf is paying for my CBT for my christmas present :hyper: (she's :thumb: ). so i'm looking around for my first bike (125).
I did look at doing the direct access but cant afford it. So i'm doing CBT get a 125 ride that for a while then look at doing the test.

I'm looking for what people would recommend as a first bike (and no i don't want a hairdrier on wheels: aka scooter/Moped), and do you know any good sites that deal in second hand bikes?

Comments

• Options
    I think I made a thread about this in Home, Law & Money. Will find it for you later.

When I asked a friend of mine this question, he suggested Yamaha or a Honda.

He also said that's a good idea to take the bike out for a test drive before deciding that you want it just because you like the look of it...

ETA: http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/showthread.php?t=102652&highlight=motorbike Not too sure if this is what you really want though.
  • Options
    Thanks Sofie that was really helpfull, and Skive, COSM and ShyBoy for all they wrote in that
  • Options
    I've got a honda cg125 and it suits me fine. I had a look on eBay and there was a similar (but chinese knock off) on there for <£500 new. Suspect the build quality but to be perfectly honest for a first bike you shouldn't go for the best. Look for something secondhand, the Hondas are bulletproof and also light / short bikes if you're not used to a bike. I'm only 5'4 but can now cope with most bikes, but know that if I'd tried to get on a bigger bike when I started I would have fallen straight off.

Accept you're probably going to drop it on the drive more than once. I have :p though some people manage all right. But something you wont cry about if it gets scratched!

PM if you need more help, or click to see more is the real guru...
  • Options
    You do realise that you'll need quite a bit more than a bike and a CBT, don't you?
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    Used to have an RD125, and I almost died on the thing.
    My advice, put all your efforts into getting a car. Bikes are far more fun, and safer, off road.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    Cars are all well and good, but you can't beat a bike for getting through the traffic in the morning :thumb:

You have to way up convience with personal safety.
    Bikes are so much more dangerous. Just as long as you know that.

Bikes are more fun there's no doubt about it, but you can get that buzz off road with no restrictions, whilst being a damb lot safer.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Cars are all well and good, but you can't beat a bike for getting through the traffic in the morning :thumb:

Thats very true, and 125s are infinitely economical on petrol. I had mine for a year and think I filled up the tank 4 times, using it most days for short trips to work / friends houses / usual usage. Each time it cost about £10 (12 litre tank).

If you cant find a honda cg125 then just get another 125, they should all be fairly similar :). You'll need a hat as well - naughty tip here - go into a shop and try on a nitro helmet and see which size fits you, then buy last years off eBay for about £35 / £40 :D. Genius! I spent £130 on my first one and they all do the same job when you come off. Mine had a tinted visor though :p. You can buy aftermarket fog-city tint visor inserts for £30, good investment...
  • Options
    Is it true that if a helmet is tight, it's too big? With regards to buying helmets, don't whatever you do, buy a second hand one.
  • Options
    or click to see more is the real guru...

Not really. I'm okay with mechanics, but I'm quite useless in this thread - I went from no experience to a 750cc bike. No advice on the little bikes ;). However...

1. They all get thrashed - because they need thrashing to move. Recent history is vital. There are some machines out there that are looked after properly - hunt them out, and be prepared to pay more for a mechanically good one.

2. They all get dropped. You'll drop it, and more than once. Don't waste your time hunting out a mint bike - it'll cost you more when you drop it. Try and find a tidy but usable bike - better to have one with some minor scrapes and scratches, with recent new brakes & chain, than a mint bike needing stuff doing to it.

3. Prepare for winter. Get a waterproof cover. Check and maintain your chain at least weekly - more if it's been really wet.

4. Second-hand helmets are bad, unless it was your fathers - assuming he loves you lots ;). New helmets don't have to cost a fortune - Nitro make top-notch gear for minimal money - mine was £40, and has had 18 months use without a hiccup. Invest in good but cheap clothing - don't succumb to the bollocks everyone gives you about only going for Arai and Alpinestars - there are too many people who think riding a motorcycle is a fashion statement. It isn't. :)

5. Two-strokes make more power, but need a lot more maintenance. If buying one second-hand, budget on having to replace the pot and piston - it can be a quite time-consuming job, so could be expensive from a dealer/mechanic. Four-strokes are far, far more long-lasting but make less power. I hit the redline (12,000rpm) every time I ride mine, at one point or another, and she uses no oil and never misses a beat. 16 years & 60k old, and the engine has never been touched. A two-stroker would want mega-work doing every 12-20k, at a guess.

6. Be careful once you've found the bike for you. Everyone is going to pull-out on you. Everyone wants to overtake you, and expects you to behave like a pushbike - and will try to push past you when you're not riding next to the drains. Expect everyone to do everything wrong. Expect to get hit, expect to die. Anything else is a bonus :).

7. Find Weston Bank on the A518. Let me know how fast you can go up it ;). I lose my balls at 131mph, because my toe is scraping on the floor... ;)
  • Options
    Are there any makes of clothing/helmets to avoid?
  • Options
    I've no idea. I have a Nitro lid, Dynamic gloves, and Lewis textiles. All have served me well. Trousers are starting to fall apart around my crotch, but after 18 months of daily use, I can't complain. :)

Would buy them all again without hesitation. From my experience, they've all been very good. :)
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Used to have an RD125, and I almost died on the thing.
    My advice, put all your efforts into getting a car. Bikes are far more fun, and safer, off road.
    Yeah i would but i've always wanted a bike, my wife wouldn't let me (i know how sad that sounds at 26) but now she focked off shes not here to stop me, and plus i have a company car and just brought my girlfriend a little nova anyway, the bikes more for me.
    sofie wrote:
    You do realise that you'll need quite a bit more than a bike and a CBT, don't you?
    Yeah, i'm looking around at jackets, boots, gloves and helmets atm too. plus then the insurance etc....