Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Friend disappointments

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Would you get your knickers in a twist or be disappointed if your three closest friends let you down a little with regards to a birthday?

By letdown i mean one forgot completely and the other two remembered but bought sod all, even a card.

I haven't said anything to them but a drinking aquintance (who did buy a present) said that they would be shocked and hurt if their friends didn't bother. Now i'm not too fussed as one of them does it every year (she has even been known to say "birthday cards are over rated tat") but the fact that all three of them managed to do it sort of got me a bit wound up on my birthday and i ended up sat in the pub with "drinking" buddies and not my close mates.

I feel in a way i'm overeacting but it's really made me sit there and examine what i call my "best mates".

Comments

• Options
    Well for my past 2 birthdays my mates have forgotten but I'm not really that fussed, it's only another day of the year. If I organised a massive party and no one turned up then I'd be pissed off but other than that, no.
  • Options
    Birthdays are a funny one. I know that is the bone of contention here but you really need to look at the bigger picture in terms of re-evaluating your friendships. I think we tend to put a lot of value and focus on our own birthday - the worry about it being a success, people remembering, having fun etc that it gets turned into something of an ordeal. So when friends back out or seemingly can't be arsed, it's a lot more hurtful than it would normally be because it's supposedly "our" day. I've definitely realised that the more candles there are on my cake, the fewer people are able to be there to celebrate it with you (unless you throw a party, for then they will come en masse ;)). I guess it's just one of those things for a lot of people.

Another thing, a LOT of people don't really seem to give a fig for birthdays and other such occasions; I have many friends who don't give gifts or cards and barely aknowledge birthdays... they might come out and celebrate, but they don't feel obligated to do because it's a birthday, if you see what I mean. The important thing to look at is whether they would be happy for you to treat their birth day in the same way -- if they have a generic nonchalance about their own birthday along with other people's then you probably just have to accept that they didn't think it'd be a big deal as that's the way they see all birthdays. If, on the other hand, they expect you to come out and make an effort and a fuss on their birthday... well then I'd be very pissed off.

One of my closest friends and I fell out because she completely ignored my 18th. She didn't come out to celebrate, or to the party, or send a card or anything at all. I was very hurt, and took my hurt out on her by ignoring her - by which she was completely bewildered. We eventually talked about it and I found out that she just doesn't hold birthdays in high regard at all, and she didn't think it would effect my feelings about our friendship. To be honest, I realised after that that I was the one being silly - she has been one of my best friends for years and years, and always treated me really well, been there for me and we get on fabulously. The fact that she didn't aknowledge my birthday was an issue of my making, I guess it's just that some people attach more value to occasions than others. There's nowt wrong with being either way inclined, but I think you need to look at whether they treat you well and as you deserve generally rather than just focusing on this birthday thing. If it's the straw that's breaking the camel's back in terms of your friendships, so to speak, then it's a totally different issue and you might need to take another look at how great these relationships actually are.
  • Options
    It's very easy to forget, I forget all the time, but it doesn't mean I hate the people. If you don't remind me then I don't know.

If one friend has made it clear that she doesn't do birthday presents, then you will have to accept that. Don't get her anything. If presents are that important perhaps she isn't that good a friend anymore.

As scrotey says, if they stood you up on your birthday night out or a big party then that's different. I can understand why you're upset about it, but objectively I think you are over-reacting a bit.
  • Options
    I'm always forgetting too, but i always make sure. I need to write them down.

Mines not easy to forget, but people can rarely be bothered to come and do anything as its just after xmas. And i can never think of anything to do.
  • Options
    Of course it is a little disappointing that people forget or don't do anything, but in my experience that's what people do if YOU don't make a deal out of it. I haven't celebrated my birthday for about three years now and have in turn received fuck all from my friends even if some of them had us organizing some surprises and such for each other. Sometimes I get a little 'ugh' but if I say nothing and do nothing, then why would they bother?

This year I'm going to take the weekend after off (Wednesday birthdays suck ;)) and go downtown hopefully dressed silly and just have fun with my friends. When it's over and done with, cards or presents don't last. I just want to use this excuse to meet my friends and enjoy myself.

I love my friends, even if I can't recall exactly when most of their birthdays are. The two I keep forgetting (incidentally two of my closest) helped me a lot by hyping up the date and reminding me time and again. ;) Not fremembering or doing much spontaneous doesn't mean a thing!

ETA: I agree with your friend about birthday cards. Most useless things ever. :P Unless there's some very personal heartwarming message inside but that happens only 0,1% of the time.
  • Options
    Carolina wrote:
    Would you get your knickers in a twist or be disappointed if your three closest friends let you down a little with regards to a birthday?

By letdown i mean one forgot completely and the other two remembered but bought sod all, even a card.

I haven't said anything to them but a drinking aquintance (who did buy a present) said that they would be shocked and hurt if their friends didn't bother. Now i'm not too fussed as one of them does it every year (she has even been known to say "birthday cards are over rated tat") but the fact that all three of them managed to do it sort of got me a bit wound up on my birthday and i ended up sat in the pub with "drinking" buddies and not my close mates.

I feel in a way i'm overeacting but it's really made me sit there and examine what i call my "best mates".
    Did You get them anything for their birthday?? If You did Your friend stink.
  • Options
    Yea it happened to me the other week, was a little dissappointing not in the present wise but my friends knew about a week before but when the day came they all forgot.. its nice just to get a happy birthday text, to know people are thinking about you.

Then one of my friends had a go at me for not going to a party with her and I've since stopped speaking to her for a whole host of other reasons that emerged as well...
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Did You get them anything for their birthday?? If You did Your friend stink.

Possibly, but I think as other posters have mentioned - it's often a lot more complex than that.
  • Options
    Its my birthday on Friday. It doesnt really bother me if people remember (although it would be nice) but theres more important things i think.

I know some of my best mates are always there whenever I need them. If im feeling down or need someone to talk with. I would rather they were there on these occasions that just on my birthday.

:thumb:
  • Options
    I generally forget all my friends birthdays. Some of them I don't even know! But I don't care if they don't bother with mine, so I guess that makes us fairly well balanced...

It's only a birthday, after all. :) Spend the day how you want, because it is about you - nobody else.
  • Options
    I personally try to remember my friend's birthdays most of the time. As for my birthday, if people forget they forget, sure i'll be a tad disappointed but it doesn't really bother me that much. It's just another day in the year for me tbh.
  • Options
    Birthdays have just been like any other day to me for as long as I can remember. Sure I get one or two presents adn some cards from the family. But as to friends, well i suppose I cant realy talk as I dont have many, and I dont suppose they know when it is. Although it has always been at an akward time of year when everyone is either away or doing stuff.

does it bother me? I suppose not, I think ive come to accept the fact that no-one knows.
  • Options
    I admit to being awful at remembering birthdays... I did not make a big deal out of my previous birthday, which I intentionally ignored. If you don't remind me, I'll most likely forget it.