Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Oblivion & Dark Messiah

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hey all,

I know a direct comparison of Oblivion and Dark messiah of might & magic is silly because they're not exactly the same genre, dark messiah being more of an fps...
but after playing the DM demo, then playing oblivion, the combat in oblivion just seems a bit poor in comparison, lackign a bit of impact and brutality. Has anyone else found this to be the case?

I was hoping I'd like Oblivion, but with the combat system being a bit dissapointing I'm thinking about sending it back tbh.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I was sold on Dark Messiah after the first trailer. Watching the guy run up the stairs ready to do some serious damage and the player kicking him back down them was magnificent :D

But yeah, the combat is a lot more visceral. Which is to be expected I guess, as that's been the main focus.
    They are two completely different games really.

The "point" of oblivion is the exploration / discovery aspect rather than the combat (although there is a fair bit of combat, granted.)
    Ass Mist said, Oblivion ins't about the combat - it's about a whole land you can be part of. Try killing someone then starting the dark brotherhood quest to see what the game can offer outside of hacking and slashing
    Although oblivion has none of the immersion of morrowind unless you install some mods to get rid of the compass. Sorry, mini-rant. Will look into the dark messiah :)
    he's not the Messiah! He's a very naughty boy.........sorry coldnt resist
    I know the games are completely different, it's just the combat system that was a bit dissapointing after playing DM first, seeing as it's exactly the same system, but quite as good. But after my initial gripe I am growing to love it...

one character as a theif / assassin, the other doing the mages guild / fighters guild quests currently!

I'm not too fussed about the compass to be honest, I'd be lost without it :D

thanks for your opinions all