Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Bowel Cancer

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone know anyone that has it or had it or been tested for it?

I read it's mainly something that effects older people - like in their 50's & 60's but I think my uncle died of it in his 40's.

Just read story of a woman of 30 getting it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5346204.stm

Comments

• Options
    I know of someone who died from it, whose children are now screened for it.

I also know that number of people affected is reducing, in part because of the screening programme.

It's not nice, it's not pretty.
  • Options
    My grandma had it, over 10 years ago now, but she recovered quite well, for her age (she was nearing 80 at the time).
  • Options
    I know a family friend who been batteling it for the last year, he's 50 and now hopefully in remission. He had to have a massive clostomy and was in hospital for quite a while because of it. Its not nice at all. It also runs a bit on one side of my family.
  • Options
    my grandad started with this a couple of years back and it spread elsewhere, he's now on his last legs in hospital. he's in his 70s
  • Options
    They have recently started a screening programme here. Doesn't sound much fun: doing a poo and sending it off in an envelope. But a lot better to find out early.
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote:
    My uncle just had it removed. He's doing really well :D
    is it wrong that I'm annoyed/angry/distressed/not pleased (feel free to help me out with an appropriate word there) because two members of my family died of it and your's didn't.

I mean, I know it's wrong, it's just, is that normal...?
  • Options
    How about disappointed as a word?

I'm guessing that yo'd never wish her family members to have died, just really really really wish that yours hadn't.

It's perfectly reasonable to wish that it was someone else instead of people close to you, and it's hard to hear the success stories sometimes.
  • Options
    yeah, i guess that's accurate.
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    They have recently started a screening programme here. Doesn't sound much fun: doing a poo and sending it off in an envelope. But a lot better to find out early.

It's actually 3 you do so they can get a sample and more chance of detecting it - but great idea, do it in the privacy of our own home and stick it in the post.
  • Options
    My Home Economics teacher at school died from it. The racist bitch (Sorry, rant, must not speak ill of the dead etc)