Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Spain bans skinny models

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I was confused by her argument too.
  • Options
    I don't have any issue with your weight, Sarah, but the smallness of your brain deeply offends me.
  • Options
    What I mean is, If there's bigger models, then more people are going to want to be like them
    dont agree with that in the slightest
  • Options
    What do you mean by bigger? bigger than unhealthily underweight?
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I think we should be more worried about the everday fat bastards than some celebretary skinny.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    I'm worried about the thousands and thousands of teenagers with eating disorders who are desperately trying to starve themselves to look like the skinny celebrities as they're constantly being told that's what beauty and success entails.
    Same here.
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    I'm worried about the thousands and thousands of teenagers with eating disorders who are desperately trying to starve themselves to look like the skinny celebrities as they're constantly being told that's what beauty and success entails.
    thats not to say we shouldn't also be worried about the millions of obese people who stuff their face with takeaways, pies and cakes and sit on the sofa all night
  • Options
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    Well no of course not. But nobody is suggesting that morbidly obese people be catwalk models either. Anybody who is abusing their body and is drastically unhealthy would make a bad role model for teenagers, but obese people don't tend to be held up as aspirational personalities in the way that skeletal models are.

Exactly :yes:

Also what worries me is that these ultra ultra skinny celebs and models (or perhaps more correctly, the people who are using their image) are normalising a body image which is not healthy at all...yet the more we see it, the less shocking and more normal it becomes to people.

It bugs me too when a few years down the line they write autobiographies detailing their "fight with an eating disorder" which inevitably sells a few million copies, long after their "completely healthy weight loss" or "their naturally slim body" has corrupted the women/girls who believed them in the first instance.

Hope that ramble makes sense.
  • Options
    no, for saying that youre happy with your weight, and everyone else isnt.
    I dont even know what youre trying to argue - that people arent allowed to be skinny? - they are! That skinny people have a harder time in society? - they dont! That everyone here who disagrees with you is obviously fat and jealous? - Bullshit.

I think you'll find that is what you're thinking, rather than what i'm saying.

Skinny people aren't all unhealthy is what i'm saying, Spain banning skinny models is insinuating that skinny people are unhealthy and a bad role model!

Yes people have anorexia, I think you'll find the bigger problem is obesity, This should be concentrated on more importantly, As it seems to be the majority of the problem for eating disorders

Imagining the catwalk without skinny models, would be as strange as Maccy D's without it's super-sized diners.
  • Options

Skinny people aren't all unhealthy is what i'm saying, Spain banning skinny models is insinuating that skinny people are unhealthy and a bad role model!

Yes people have anorexia, I think you'll find the bigger problem is obesity, This should be concentrated on more importantly, As it seems to be the majority of the problem for eating disorders

Imagining the catwalk without skinny models, would be as strange as Maccy D's without it's super-sized diners.
    Yeah but those models were likely to be unhealthy. No-one has said that all slim people are unhealthy.
  • Options

ffs, how many times do u need to be told?

this disussion is not about slim models, its about models whose legs/thighs dont touch when then stand with their legs together, its about girls who take a line of coke rather than eat some soup.......

and i totally disagree that obesity should be concerntrated on more than annorexia, they are both dangerous and should be both tackled in an equal manner

i seriously think that u have no idea what ur actually talking about, u just seem to be going round in circles, despite us tellin u numerous times that this topic/ban isnt about skinny models its about seriously underweight models whose health is in danger
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote:
    Charlotte Church and Coleen McGloughlin? Are they taking the piss?

Oh, and on a personal note, I'd say Scarlett Johansson, Rachel Bislon, Liv Tyler and Denise Richards would make the best catwalk models if we're going for celebrities.
  • Options
    Charlotte Church and Coleen McGloughlin? Are they taking the piss?
    i think charlotte looks awful at the moment

eta: kelly brook is cuvry but shes one of those lucky women who is curvy without being fat. she is actually really slim.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    i think charlotte looks awful at the moment
    I just don't get it. She's pretty average looking in my opinion.
  • Options
    I just don't get it. She's pretty average looking in my opinion.
    yeh she is very average. and shes got a lot bigger recently.
  • Options
    Littleali wrote:
    ffs, how many times do u need to be told?

this disussion is not about slim models, its about models whose legs/thighs dont touch when then stand with their legs together, its about girls who take a line of coke rather than eat some soup.......

and i totally disagree that obesity should be concerntrated on more than annorexia, they are both dangerous and should be both tackled in an equal manner

i seriously think that u have no idea what ur actually talking about, u just seem to be going round in circles, despite us tellin u numerous times that this topic/ban isnt about skinny models its about seriously underweight models whose health is in danger

Strange as it sounds, The title of the thread states.. skinny women should be banned from the catwalk, rather than

"spain bans unhealthy models from the catwalk" ??????????

Legs/thighs don't touch when they stand their legs together, are you sure you know what you're talking about?

oh and sorry Mrs think you know it all, when you clearly don't!!!
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Ok, this is all getting a bit heated and waaay to personal. I posted this thread as a matter of interest to highlight that a sector of the fashion industry is addressing the problem of medically underweight catwalk models and all the associated problems.

Two things to clarify - nowhere does it say that all slim/skinny people are unhealthy. And an unhealthy weight is a problem and should be addressed with equal seriousness, no matter what end of the spectrum it occurs.

There is also a connection between bad eating habits and an unhealthy relationship with food in order to be thinner when young, and obesity later in life. In black and white terms, it comes down to your self esteem and your relationship with food.

There is no need for all the sniping going on in this thread.
  • Options