Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Forced marriage ban pledge - but can you believe him?

Marriage. An institution which I've always supported. Arranged marriage. As long as the two people are fine with it, and aren't being pressured into it by stupid, misguided parents, fair enough - I can just about stomach that. But forced marriages? Absolutely no way. And today, we can add another name to the list of people who understand that.

Says Aunty Beeb: "Forced marriages in the UK breach 'fundamental human rights' and will receive renewed attention from the government, the home secretary says. 'Men and women are equal in all respects in this country and will be treated as such.' John Reid told the Labour party conference... Mr Reid also pledged to continue tackling domestic violence, which he claimed affected a quarter of women."

See, Mr Reid gets it. Well done. You now join myself and the many other fine members of the We Were Right All Along society. Forced marriages are indeed an abomination and an insult to women's rights, and I'm happy that you can see that fact. It's just a pity that your own department doesn't share that view, isn't it? Too bloody right that the Home Office is "not fit for purpose" - they can't even spout the same message as you! I distinctly remember in June that the Home Office said the law didn't need changing, that the Government was completely fine with forcing some people, mostly women, into marriages they do not want. Why the change of heart?

It just shows you how pathetic and squalid this government is by now. The Cabinet can't seem to agree on anything. Ministers contradict each other on a near daily basis. This, like so many other issues, is too important for such dithering.

Anyway, do you believe that Reid's actually serious about this now? Or is he just grandstanding, whilst a few hundred young women (and that's a few hundred too many) each year are forced into this life of misery?

EDITED: For some reason, I forgot to include the source to the story. Here's that said link and apologies for the mistake.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I agree with banning forced marriages, they are not part of our culture and never will be. It's a shocking thing to make one marry someone with out their consent.

Will it become illegal under this government? I'll believe it when I see it. I very much doubt it. This government is all talk and no action. Just look at the many promises Blair has made, he hasn't kept to any of them.

I really liked Reids speech though. It was impressive. He got back at that Muslim cunt who said he shouldn't come to a "Muslim area".
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    luke88 wrote:
    He got back at that Muslim cunt who said he shouldn't come to a "Muslim area".

Surely the man was just a cunt and that being a Muslim makes no difference?