Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Sunbeds!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I go on sunbeds to help my skin and the tan is an added benefit. I only use them for probably 15 mins a week as im very fair.

Part of me still worries about the whole skin cancer issue though. What do you think?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i think you should be more worried about the condom ;)
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    i think you should be more worried about the condom ;)

:lol:

Seriously though, I wouldn't go near a sunbed.
    Weekender Offender 
    I've been thinking about doing the same. Spend a relatively short time on a bed... what do you guys reckon is the most that anyone should spend on one? Avoiding all risks, like.
    they recommend that u shouldnt have more than 10 sessions a year, people i know use them more than that in a month!

20mins on the sunbed is the equivilant to 4hrs in the sun

not only do they increase the chances of gettin skin cancer, they make u look older quicker

there are just so many easy and good ways to fake it now, i dont see the need in sunbeds at all
    id say 15 minutes a week was quite a lot actually.
    I use to go on sunbeds every week for 12 minutes. It helped clear up my acne and made me feel good.

I am going to start going on them again in January every week to every two, slowly building up from 4 minuets gradually up to 12. I also have used an tan accelerate, though they tingle.

As for cancer, everything gives use cancer these days. If your that worried go and buy a bottle of St. Tropez, its good stuff.
    I'll look into getting some of those sprays - will do until I get myself a sunbed.

Cheers fellas.
    I was going to make a thread like this the other day but didnt have time, guess i was beaten to it..

I went on a sunbed for the 1st time for 6 minutes and i was suprised at how much it actually worked. It has definately tanned my face and I've got a tan line where my boxers were.
    Didnt think it would work so fast really so i was wondered how bad are they really? because normally to get the sort of tan I've got i'd have to be in the sun for at least a couple of hours..
    Like someone posted earlier; 20 minutes on a sunbed is equivalent to 4 hours in the sun.

They're fairly dangerous, if i were you i wouldn't make a habbit of using it daily.

There's a place opened in town a year or two ago that have sunbeds, might give 'em a go - probably charge an arm and a leg though :/
    Some places are expensive, there's a proper sunbed shop near me called skin sensations, its about £6 for 12 mins.

They make you feel all summary and refreshed when you use them in the winter.
    HIT wrote:
    Some places are expensive, there's a proper sunbed shop near me called skin sensations, its about £6 for 12 mins.

They make you feel all summary and refreshed when you use them in the winter.

im paying £7 for six minutes!!
    Luckily, if I ever get round to using them, the college I'm at has them discounted in our salon, plus I get 20% on top of that for being a beauty student. So for 6 minutes, I'll be paying £2. :D If you're worried about costs, see if your local Beauty-offering college has them.

The risk of skin cancer is definetly a big factor in my mind, but I doubt I'd use them often enough (probably twice in my whole life if I keep forgetting to book it like this) for it to be a significant risk.

There's a place near us called Sun City as well. No appointments needed, open 9 -6, just walk in. Relatively cheap as well, but the college still come tops.
    In_ya_face wrote:
    im paying £7 for six minutes!!
    Ouch!
    I use to go on sunbeds every week for 12 minutes. It helped clear up my acne and made me feel good.

I am going to start going on them again in January every week to every two, slowly building up from 4 minuets gradually up to 12. I also have used an tan accelerate, though they tingle.

And you wondered why people thought you were female, heh :)
    TomUk wrote:
    And you wondered why people thought you were female, heh :)
    Men use them aswell.... Just I aint afraid to admit it. :D
    i have thought about it a lot because i really want a tan - my skin isnt ridiculously white buts enough and i NEVER tan, and cant be bothered with fake tans, but id never risk it as i have high risk skin.

In_ya_face - out of curiousity how does it help your skin?
    jenni30 wrote:
    i have thought about it a lot because i really want a tan - my skin isnt ridiculously white buts enough and i NEVER tan, and cant be bothered with fake tans, but id never risk it as i have high risk skin.

In_ya_face - out of curiousity how does it help your skin?

it definately helps. the spots i get dry out a lot quicker and i swear that it reduces the number that i get in the first place. Spots also dont seem to show as badly on tanned skin (compared to the really pale skin i would normally have!)
    In_ya_face wrote:
    it definately helps. the spots i get dry out a lot quicker and i swear that it reduces the number that i get in the first place. Spots also dont seem to show as badly on tanned skin (compared to the really pale skin i would normally have!)
    x2

sunbeds are teh cool. :cool: