Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Zyban

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been offered it, finally. Has anyone else had it? Has it worked? Were there any side effects etc?

Comments

• Options
    i'd never heard of this till just now. i might try getting some,
  • Options
    I found this information - apparently it's an antidepressant as well as an aid to give up smoking. You don't say which reason you've been prescribed them for... if it's smoking you might want to try some other approaches first and leave medication to your last resort.
  • Options
    Yeah its for smoking. The nurse said its hardly prescribed as an anti depressant. Have had a look at the NHS websites but they havent got much info. Thanks for those pages spanner :thumb:
  • Options
    it does work, really well, but it can make your mind go funny aswell.
  • Options
    Did you try other types of smoking cessations before you got prescribed that?
  • Options
    Glittery wrote:
    Did you try other types of smoking cessations before you got prescribed that?
    Nope. I know I wouldnt get on with patches or whatever
  • Options
    Its not prescribed nearly as much as other types of smoking cessation, but its not unusual.

Its used a lot in the USA for depression(where its called Wellbutrin), i think the average dose is 300mgs. Zyban is 150mg buproprion??(sp)
    There are lots of possible side effects with anti-depressants but Zyban is not a typical SSRI, its different to them.
    Im not sure if its used in this country for depression anyway.
  • Options
    Char_Baby wrote:
    Nope. I know I wouldnt get on with patches or whatever
    Mr Glittery has been off and on patches for months, he cant do it with patches at all. He's been told he can only be prescribed Zyban if he meets certain criteria, the criteria being:

1. Trying patches for 12 weeks - Done
    2. Visiting the nurse for 12 weeks for some kind of carbon monoxide test thingy - Done
    3. Attending cessation groups, where people trying to quit sit around talking about how they want to quit. He cant do this cos the session is on a Tuesday at 1pm when he is at work. And because he cant do that, they wont let him try Zyban.

It's so frustrating.
  • Options
    My nurse was pretty eager to give them to me, which was nice. I've been given time to think about it, my gut feeling is yes at the mo.
  • Options
    my ex gave up with zyban, quickly and easily. It sent him a bit nuts though and he had to go on antidepressants for the first time a few months after coming off zyban.
    Id try other things first if i were you, but its your choice obviously
    http://www.askapatient.com/viewrating.asp?drug=20711&name=ZYBAN