Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Printers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm looking to get a new printer as the one I have at the moment only takes a couple of sheets of paper and the ink runs out really quickly.

Now, I'm not too good with technology or anything like this. A friend told me that certain printers work out more expensive because the ink is expensive and runs out really quickly.. I'm looking to spend about £60ish as its just for Uni work really. In the argos book there are 4 which are all very similar, theres Hewlett Pakard, Epson, Canon, Lexmark and Olivetti - Any recommendations?

Cheers me dears x

Comments

• Options
    Most Lexmark and Canon printers I've come across are good.

I wouldn't recommend Epson. We bought three printers from them between 1999 and 2005 - one had to be replaced twice, the next came free with our new computer and a spring fell out the minute we took it from the box, and the third was repaired three times before we bought our new Lexmark for £25 from Tesco :D It's not the best, but for £25 it does the job just fine :)

Edited because I'm a prat and need to go back to Reception class to learn to spell!
  • Options
    nicx1811 wrote:
    Most Lexmark and Canon printers I've come across are good.

I wouldn't recommend Epson. We bought three printers from them between 1999 and 2005 - one had to be replaced twice, the next came three with our new computer and a spring fell out the minute we took it from the box, and the third was repaired three times before we bought our new Lexmark for £25 from Tesco :D It's not the best, but for £25 it does the job just fine :)

I think you got free and three mixed up hehe
  • Options
    I find that Epson tend to have the most compatibles. I never bother with the official ink cartridges because they're too expensive. We've had a Hewlett Packard (rip off), a Canon (okay, especially if you want the official cartridges) and my Epson which was really good value and has lasted for ages. For my Epson, I pay about £2 for a black and £4 for a colour. It's pretty old, but it's still going strong.
  • Options
    squeal wrote:
    I think you got free and three mixed up hehe

Ha! Oh god I'm useless sometimes! :blush::lol:
  • Options
    I prefer Epson. Lexmark are a rebadged something or other, not a great make. Best make is HP but it is also the most expensive. Epson are the most economical, as the ink cartridges don't include the head thing, they're just ink so they're cheaper.

I have an old one and it works, except its huge so I'm getting a new printer for uni, one from tesco for £25 with the ink cartridge. Cant remember what make. Not bad though...
  • Options
    I have an HP all in one, it cost me £100 3 years ago, i bought it for uni and its still going strong. Doesnt drink ink quickly and is quite small and portable, as well as easy to use. All my other uni friends ended up buying one the same after seeing mine, i think you can buy it for about £60 nowdays, possibly less!

I highly reccomend it, especially as it has a copier function that doesnt require it to be plugged into the computer, very handy for photocopying from books or notes and ive used this alot while at uni. The scanner is also top notch.

Ah yes here we are, only £49.99 in argos, and this is a better model than mine too as its a photo printer

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6700342.htm
  • Options
    If you're just printing B&W docs for uni, you could consider a B&W laser printer. They are cheaper than inkjets to run.
  • Options
    I'm looking to get a new printer as the one I have at the moment only takes a couple of sheets of paper and the ink runs out really quickly.

Now, I'm not too good with technology or anything like this. A friend told me that certain printers work out more expensive because the ink is expensive and runs out really quickly.. I'm looking to spend about £60ish as its just for Uni work really. In the argos book there are 4 which are all very similar, theres Hewlett Pakard, Epson, Canon, Lexmark and Olivetti - Any recommendations?

Cheers me dears x

EPson D88 costs about £58 - 3rd party ink cartidges about £1 each from various websites (you need four)
  • Options
    smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    Blah wrote:
    I have an HP all in one, it cost me £100 3 years ago, i bought it for uni and its still going strong. Doesnt drink ink quickly and is quite small and portable, as well as easy to use. All my other uni friends ended up buying one the same after seeing mine, i think you can buy it for about £60 nowdays, possibly less!

Im a big fan of all in one printers, you can buy most decent makes HP, Cannon, Lexmark for around the £100 mark. Although when shopping for catridges in PC world there all going to be expensive, there should be somewhere cheaper in your area that sells them or you can have them refilled, either way.
  • Options
    BF bought a printer/scanner/copier from PC World for a about £70, Lexmark. Also got one of those picture docks for cameras and you can put your camera's memory card in to print photos off. One of the cartridges was bust when we got it, so phoned up Lexmark and they sent 2 colour and 2 black cartridges by way of an apology :)
  • Options
    If you're at uni, and printing lots of B&W text, get a secondhand Laserjet 4. Will only be £30 or so, and a toner cartridge will last you forever. :)
  • Options
    If you're at uni, and printing lots of B&W text, get a secondhand Laserjet 4. Will only be £30 or so, and a toner cartridge will last you forever. :)

True I was given one 7 years ago and the toner is still lasting.

Shame the printer is soooo slow.
  • Options
    8ppm for the normal LJ4, 12ppm for the 4+. They did come out 15 years ago now - pretty damned good considering! :)
  • Options
    Word of advice, don't buy some cheap printer - it'll cost you more in the end. Also, keep in mind that Lexmark's ink is a sheer rip off!

So if I were you, I'd invest in a decent printer (£100 or so) and avoid Lexmark at all costs.