Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

the frontline of the evangelicals vs children

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
today at the school i work at, we got a parcel from some organisation called 'science seeking truth' or something and from them we got 2 'complimentary' dvds on intelligent design

having a read of the contents, it made me laugh more than when i look at the atomic physics section of the GCSE syllabus

basically it has
5minutes dedicated to telling you about darwinism (none of the many discoveries made since like that theres room for change, as shown by bio-engineers in regards to say how giraffes necks got so long)
then theres 50 minutes saying how 'natural selection doesnt work' and how 'cutting edge scientists mocked by their fields' have proven that many things cant be done by purely random changes over long times, and how there is an element of design inbuilt, with many analagies etc
then theres the brief 10 second section of "there are suggestions that this isnt because of design"

and thats about it

oh and most of the filler uses arguments most under 18s wouldnt be able to counter as they arent fully instructed in the scientific tecnique, arguments like:

i just sat there with my collegaues and had a laugh, especially as the accompanying letter admitted the DFES(dept for education and skills) dont see 'intelligent design as a valid theory' (mainly because it isnt a theory, it just tries to put holes in another theory and work on the process of elimination saying 'oh its design' forgetting that the other option is that WE JUST HAVEN'T WORKED IT OUT YET)

ps - just for your knowledge, the main ID book used to use the word 'creator' instead of 'designer' but couldnt get it into classrooms then

RANT OVER i dont mind religion as per such, i see as a bit stupid but fine and harmless nonetheless, can be beneficial if people seek 'guidance', but what i do hate is pseudo-science which is nicking terms from scientific fields but ignoring the methods involved

edit - have a read of this http://www.math.vanderbilt.edu/~schectex/courses/wolfram.html

Comments

• Options
    You ought to look for "Penn and Teller BULLSHIT!" in the google image search. Watch the one on intellegent design. good stuff:lol:
  • Options
    Proof definite of Intelligent Design:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGMuIyBK5P4
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Proof definite of Intelligent Design:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGMuIyBK5P4
    :lol::lol::lol: damn, us Darwinian athiest's are so boned if more people see that!:lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    I'll never eat a banana again, let me tell you that... :mad: :D
  • Options
    just found out they sent this to all secondary schools, and that the founders are people who honestly believe the world is 6-8000 years old....

they even get caned by the CoE and catholic church for taking things too literally /cry
  • Options
    banana means god, end of story you atheistic pigs. Don't you have some childeren to be selling pot or teaching communism to or something?
  • Options
    just found out they sent this to all secondary schools, and that the founders are people who honestly believe the world is 6-8000 years old....

they even get caned by the CoE and catholic church for taking things too literally /cry
    Even though at the moment there is (I hope!) little chance of those people succeeding, it is certainly worrying that they are becoming more prominent and seemly powerful.

There is a movement called Truth in Science (LOL!) which demands Creationism and/or Intelligent Design is taught at science lessons.

It is so worrying that non-believers and believers (Humanist Society and a Christian think-tank) have joined forces and written to the Home Secretary to pledge that no such teachings ever enter science lessons.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    It is so worrying that non-believers and believers (Humanist Society and a Christian think-tank) have joined forces and written to the Home Secretary to pledge that no such teachings ever enter science lessons.
    Exactly. Don't get me wrong. I have little problem with religion. I think it can be extremely beneficial to a person's life. But what I don't like is religious nuts trying to force illogical nonsense down everyone else's throats. They wanna teach creationism? That's what religious lessons are for!