Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

therapy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I think i need it. My self esteem issues have just got too much now and its adversly affecting most aspects of my life, and preventing me from enjoying what could be a fucking great time for me. I feel completely shit about myself most of the time.

Do i just go to my doctor or what? Would i actually have to tell my doctor the problem, as it would be a problem for me speaking my mind as thats one of my major issues- talking about the way i feel.

Is there waiting lists for these things, would i have to pay?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I was wondering about this too, so I'm glad you brought it up.

I hope you feel better soon. Maybe it helps knowing there are other people in the same boat? :)
    Yes, it does :)
    Your GP is the person to talk to, discuss the issues with him/her and tell them what impact its having on your life.

Talking therapy is available on the NHS, and it shouldnt have a massive waiting list either, but it really is a post code lottery I'm afraid.
    budda wrote:
    Your GP is the person to talk to

Yip. Invariably you'll need a referal from your GP for any NHS type treatment, unless of course you want to go private.
    RubberSkin wrote:
    Yip. Invariably you'll need a referal from your GP
    Budda wrote:
    Your GP is the person to talk to, discuss the issues with him/her and tell them what impact its having on your life

:(

This is going to be a big problem for me. I have no problem talking about physical illness, but when it comes to discussing whats going on mentally... i know i'll just sit there and freeze, then need to get out of the situation as soon as possible.
    I went straight to my GP and was referred to the on-site therapist straight away. I was really lucky, sadly, it can really vary from area to area. Hope it all works out for you.
    go_away wrote:
    I went straight to my GP and was referred to the on-site therapist straight away. I was really lucky, sadly, it can really vary from area to area. Hope it all works out for you.

How much detail do you need to go into, to the gp?

Would i be able to just say that im having mental problems and need to see some sort of therapist?
    Well, I walked into his office mid panic attack so everything kind of spilled out from there once I had settled down.
    [QUOTE=Blahi know i'll just sit there and freeze, then need to get out of the situation as soon as possible.[/QUOTE]

How about taking someone with you who knows a bit about what's going on. Maybe write down how you feel and what you want to say then you can just read it back without having to think while you're at your GP's.