Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Surely this is wrong?

I started soing an NVQ in Child Care in September. As part of the course, I have to go on a work placement for 2 days a week. Now, I got told by my mum (who has also done this course and has worked in a nursery/pre-school) not to expect to be sat playing with the children all the time I'm there. I thought that was fair enough.

Now, a few times they've asked me to do the washing up, which I've ended up doing because I thought it was too rude to refuse to do it. Also, they expect me to hoover quite a bit as well.

When I got asked to do the washing up earlier, one of the workers had a go at me saying 'you need to work quicker than that; the cleaner isn't coming into today so you'll have to do some more before you go.'

Earlier, I got asked to sterilise some of the toys. I got told to get some cold water, find the toys for sterilising and get the tablets for it. So anyway, I found the toys and trays needed for doing this. I got told by a member of staff to put cold water in. So, anyway I went into the kitchen and got some cold water. I then went back to get some more. A member of staff shouted into the kitchen (there was another trainee there as well) and said 'tell Sofie that she has to put hot water in and not vold water'. So, anyway the girl had a bit of a go at me because what I'd done. (she did this last week with the hoovering as well and again today about lunch break)

My question is, is it right that they're trying to get me to do ALL of the cleaning nearly all the time?

I was given some paper work to fill in and pass on to my supervisor/manager, now it doesn't say anywhere on the pieces of paper I've been given that I have to do cleaning nearly all the time I'm there. (don't think it even says that I have to do cleaning like that)
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sounds bollocks to me, they've either got a cleaner or they haven't. You're not a fill-in.
    Dunno but a large part of childcare, the unglamorous bit, is washing and cleaning. Ask one of your tutors at college if there are certain things you are suposed to be covering in your work placement. If there are, make up a sheet and make sure that the person in charge of your work place gets a copy- this will give you reasonable grounds to request a different task- one on your sheet.

good luck
    Katralla - I am aware of this, but don't understand why it's always me doing it...
    You'll get that a lot, private nurseries will treat the unpaid temp girl like shite simply because they can.

I wouldn't bopther complaining to the company who run the placement nursery, but I would be having serious words with your course leader. My mum is a nursery nurse and yes, cleaning up and doing the washing up is part of your responsibility, but it should be a shared responsibility and it sounds like you're being treated as an unpaid skivvy.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Sofie wrote:
    Katralla - I am aware of this, but don't understand why it's always me doing it...

Because you are at the bottom of the chain ;)

It's like someone going to a company to get work experience and they are making the tea every day.

Like Katralla said, if you go into child care, particularly nurseries, then you are cleaning an awful lot, you are making sure areas are safe, you are wiping tables, preparing food (possibly) etc etc.
    Kermit wrote:
    cleaning up and doing the washing up is part of your responsibility

I know this, but it seems that whenever I'm there, it's always me doing it.
    Because you are at the bottom of the chain ;)

I know this as well. But how on earth am I meant to get ecperience working with children if I'm always cleaning?
    know what you mean, i worked at a nursery over the summer and did more washing up and cleaning up than anyone else that works there. to be fair though, it didnt take up the whole day and i had plenty of time with the kids. are you washing up etc more than you're with the kids?
    I did my work experience at a vets and spent most of the time in the laundry room washing the dog beds and putting all the surgical equipment in the autoclave, rather than actually assisting the vets (which is what my temp title was).

It's all part n parcel of being the 'work experience' person unfortunately.
    can you change your placement?
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I spent work experience at school at a firm involved in reprographics but spent most of the time hoovering or makign cups of tea. After three days of a two week placement I told the owner to stick it and walked out.

I spent the rest of the time at home dossing. :thumb:
    Weekender Offender 
    Yeah, I'd say have a chat with someone (placement manager/organisor) and tell them the issues you have. If you think they're being unreasonable and nothing is solved, just refuse to put up with it.

Luckily my work experience was a good experience for me. I actually got to do some proper work and enjoyed it.
    Kat_B wrote:
    are you washing up etc more than you're with the kids?

Yes I am.

I spoke to one of the teachers who teaches me Childcare. She said that she'd talk to the other teacher and my tutor. One of the teachers told me to write a letter and just say that I don't wish to be there anymore (but don't explain what has happened) and my tutor just told me not to say anything and just come into school today instead of going to my work placement.

Spoke to my mum (who has done this course before) who seems to agree with what they're doing.:rolleyes:

Ballerina - I can change my work placement, but it's a pain phoning around/writing letters/doing paperwork. However, unless I want to be treated like an unpaid skivvy, then I don't think I have that much of a choice.

Going OT, but:
    Lunch break is half an hour. Does this mean spending 10 minutes at the shop then spending half an hour on the premises? I only ask because there are a few memebers of staff who do it. I spoke to my dad about this yesterday, and he said that half an hour should mean however long at the shop and the remainder of that half an hour spent on the premises. (or doing whatever they like)
    Sofie wrote:
    I started soing an NVQ in Child Care.

bahah. fuckin nazi's
    bahah. fuckin nazi's

what are you on about???
    bahah. fuckin nazi's

:confused:
    I did childcare at college (the old NNEB qualification) and spent a year in different placements. Unfortunately you will have to do a LOT of crappy jobs. When I was in a school placement the teachers would sometimes get me to go down to the shops to get them some milk for their tea, and when I was in private nursery I would have to sterilise the toys and stuff, and clean up and hoover. In one nursery I even had to clean the toilets!

Private nurseries especially will get you to do stuff, purely because they have so much to do in their days usually they see a work experience student as somebody to lighten their load!

Like Kat_B said they only time it should become a problem is if they're making you do it all the time and you're not spending enough time with the children which is what you're meant to be there for. I can imagine some nurseries taking advantage. Can you change your placement? Do you have to find another yourself?
    I may have to find one myself, but I'm with one of the course leaders tomorrow, so I'll talk to her then.

This morning, I bumped into one of the staff memebers on the way to school. She asked me if I was ill yesterday and I had to lie and say that there was a reason which the manager might be aware of. (I think my tutor spoke to her on Tuesday)
    before you started the placement, did you draw up a learning agreement or anything? its a good idea to, if you can - its just like a statement that you and your employer draw up together and agree on and it states what your role will be, what your employers role is and the duties you should carry out.
    I never got anything like that. However, I got a job description from Trident. (the company that sort out work placements and have a look around to see if they're suitable)