Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

booze cruise

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
whats the law in this area? what kind of price reduction do you experience when shopping for beer and tobacco in calais.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You can bring back as much as you want as long as its for your own consumption - for my wedding we bought about £1k's worth of wine and beer back.

I dunno how much cheaper fags are but in terms of booze it depends what your buying but a bottle of Soave which costs about £3 in the supermarket at home will cost you around £1 in calais and so on - you can normally get better deals on non french wine as its not as popular at the moment with the patriotic french.

Also some places will even pay your ferry fare if you pre order enough from them see here http://www.majestic.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=-1 - but there are lots of other deals to be had as well and if your driving and you just want to do a booze run you can get some really cheap half day / evening deals on the eurotunnel.
    The law is as much as you want for personal consumption, but if you are in a rental van or are a regular visitor you can expect to be stopped and questioned about what personal use you've got for that much stuff.

It's cheap in Calais, but its not as cheap as people reckon anymore. It's the same names over there, just with less tax- Tesco at Cite Europe is popular for some unfathomable reason.
    Be warned though, you might find it difficult to explain why you can go one a booze cruise, yet not work.
    Be warned though, you might find it difficult to explain why you can go one a booze cruise, yet not work.

Good point.
    *revels in attention*
    tobacco is cheaper than france in belgium. at 30 miles per gallon in a transit, and a gallon around 4 pound, i doubt it's that much cheaper.
    is beer more expensive than diesel?

i'll bring back 10 cases of beer, a few litres of spirits (as many as *I* think is reasonable) and at least 2kilos of golden virgina.

in any case, it'll take me a while to save up my severe disability premiums la la la
    I despair...
    [QUOTE=TheSovereigngolden virgina.[/QUOTE]

Isn't that tobacco or something?

*Agrees with MoK and Katralla*
    *revels in attention*

Pull your neck Mr Egotistic, my warning was because Kent Police are having a purge at the moment and they are working with Customs and DWP, pulling people and using their combined knowledge to *do* as many as possible.
    pulling people and using their combined knowledge to *do* as many as possible.

Hurrah