Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Should I buy an Apple I-Pod ?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My parents are going to Gibraltar in a couple of days, as Gibraltar is know for its cheap electronics, I fancy buying myself an IPod. However I know very little about which is the best.

I know Microsoft Zune is due at at Christmas, Is it worth buying an IPod now ? Or am I best waiting for the Microsoft version to come out?

Also can anyone let me know, roughly how many tracks can i get on a 30GB IPod. Having looked at them online they retail around £219 so I suppose anything cheaper than that in Gibraltar is a good deal.

Cheers for the help guys! :thumb:

Comments

• Options
    no they suck. they break after about 2 months. get a samsung or creative zen instead.
    dunno bout the microsoft one
  • Options
    It's traditional for lots of people to say "no, they suck, they always break" in threads like these, and then suggest a Creative product.

Yes, get an iPod, they are the market leaders because they are the easiest and simplest to use. I haven't had a moment's bother out of mine.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    no they suck. they break after about 2 months. get a samsung or creative zen instead.
    dunno bout the microsoft one

Never used an ipod but do like my creative zen :)
  • Options
    Have never had any problems with mine! Had an ipod mini, then moved onto the 4gb NANO however the 30gb video ones are as follows technical wise:
    Here's the technical bit:

Holds up to 7,500 songs and full-colour album art
    Holds up to 12,500 photos
    Holds 75 hours of video (dependant on file size)
    Bright 2.5 ins TFT display
    Plays video or photo slideshows
    Play on TV via the optional Dock Apple
    Compatible with click wheel accessories
    Up to 20 hours battery life
    Charges and syncs via USB
    Syncs contacts, calendars and to-do lists
    Works with Macs, OS, X or Windows 2000/XP
    Dimensions 10.4H x 6.1W x 1.1D cm
  • Options
    :rolleyes: Here isn't the best place to ask about iPods. I got lynched for asking about the best place to buy them, with the majority of replies being "Don't get one" despite me explaining I wanted one.

I ignored them all and got an iPod Mini in July. I love it, great choice by me I say :)
  • Options
    If you want an ipod get one. But you do pay for the name / label / fashion accessory. If it plays music then thats what you want isnt it? Have a fiddle, find one you like, then set about getting it for the cheapest price possible :)
  • Options
    If all you want is a device to play MP3's etc there's tonnes of choice - I like stuff made by cowon - good hardwrae backed up by frequent software updates
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Yes, get an iPod, they are the market leaders because they are the easiest and simplest to use.

Creative's are much easier to use. And the battery life sucks on iPods as well. I got an iPod a few months ago, and the battery lasted me 12 days. Now, I wasn't listening to it 24/7, so it should've lasted me much longer than that...
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Creative's are much easier to use.

Actually, after using my old Creative and my boyfriends Zen Touch, I find my iPod ten times easier to use.
  • Options
    cheers for the advice peeps.

I was just thinking maybe people will stop buying and wanting IPods when the new Microsoft rival Zune comes out. :confused:

I must admit im a sucker for fashion and brands, so thats why I want an
    IPod. I just dont want to buy it and find in a few months I should have waited.

Thanks for the advice all :thumb:
  • Options
    new nanos have much better battery life (20 hrs) which puts paid to at least 50% of the ipod haters moans.
  • Options
    I have an ipod mini and it hasnt broken or anything. Its fairly easy to use. Saying that, its been sitting in a drawer for months cos ive lost a lead for it.
    id go for apple rather than microsoft though, any day of the week.
  • Options
    new nanos have much better battery life (20 hrs) which puts paid to at least 50% of the ipod haters moans.

Mine was 'new', so tell me why it only lasted me 6 hours?
  • Options
    new should be read as 'next generation'. doubt they're out in shops to buy,
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    I've never had problems with my ipod and I've had it a long while.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I've had my iPod for over a year and it hasn't (touch wood) given me any problems at all. That said, Mrs. T's brother is on iPod number 10 in around 2 years. Guess it's all about whether you get lucky or not.