Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

wine

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone here know their wines well?

I need to buy a bottle of red wine. I went to sainsburys the other day and theres so many different kinds.

Could anyone educate me

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't wan't to get to heavy so I'll start simple: Wine is made from grapes.
    funny! :yeees:
    What do You wan't the wine for??
    dry means strong and sweet means sweet. I'm not sure if that's wine though.

I find, the best wines, are usually the ones that are the cheapest :p lol because it gets you drunk in the end anyway so whats the matter!!

I hope someone can give you a more helpful reply, I just tend to see one that interests me, I am partial to french wine because I like France in general :p, but they're all nice, different kinds of flavours / textures / aftertastes.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    dry means strong and sweet means sweet. I'm not sure if that's wine though.

That's white mate. Measured from dry to sweet on a scale of 1-9.

Reds are measured from light to full bodied.

If you eating something with heavy with strong flavours your better off with a full bodied red, if it's something lighter have a lighter bodied wine.

Simple really.

And you better off with New World wines - they're far superior.
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive, you don't hit me as a person who likes his wine, unless it's tonic wine that is :razz:
    Jazza wrote:
    Skive, you don't hit me as a person who likes his wine, unless it's tonic wine that is :razz:

I worked on for the Wines and Spirits department at Tesco's for a few months. But I like a good wine anyway and I like to cook - my mates take the piss. :D
    Weekender Offender 
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Skive wrote:
    I worked on for the Wines and Spirits department at Tesco's for a few months. But I like a good wine anyway and I like to cook - my mates take the piss. :D

Unless you are giving them wine, I guess :p

Wines can be damned nice. Some, however, taste a bit like white spirit.
    A Shiraz will be quite full bodied. Shiraz is also known as Syrah, when it's grown in Europe. Shiraz is known as the 'hangover grape' and has a lot of tanin in it, the 'dry' taste to red wines. For a good 'all round' red i'd go for a Merlot, or a Cabernet Sauvigon.
    I like wine, and you won't go far wrong with a Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot. I'm not 100% sure which CabSav is the nicest though.

EDIT: RubberSkin beat me to it. :thumb:
    wi ne is wine like it alll gets yaz pissed, be it saughugn blanc or cheap shit, its only fiver a bottle have it all xxxx
    I'm not a massive wine fine but I drink tonnes of Cava, it's delish! Asti is sweet (yuck) Brut is dry (yum) and I think something like Brut Demi is medium....as you can tell I only drink it dry!
    Get yourself a bottle of the good old wine, buckfast. :D
    Makoto wrote:
    EDIT: RubberSkin beat me to it. :thumb:

I used to run an off license, and did a wine course, so if people asked me about wine i could tell 'em. Though i must admit, all the wine i've drunk seems to of killed all the brain cells that were holding this info :D
    french wine is the best.
    I only really drink red wine and I always, always go Spanish. I'd go for Rioja, preferably a Rioja Crianza as it's been aged and oaked longer than your bottom of the range basic Rioja... but it's not outrageously expensive.

That said, Merlot is the easiest red to drink, I reckon. So if it's just for glugging then that'd probably be your best bet. If it's to go with a meal then check out the labels; they're usually pretty good at advising what meats and meals specific grapes are suited to etc :)
    I dunno bout everyone else but I think wine tastes fucking vile!

Maybe 17th century French wine is nice but the shit you get at your local offie or tescos is rotten! :yuck:
  • smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    I'm not one for wines, the only one i can think of which tastes semi-good is a blossom hill red, other than that its BEER !!
    smitherz wrote:
    I'm not one for wines, the only one i can think of which tastes semi-good is a blossom hill red, other than that its BEER !!

I agree that beer is superior in every way; but please don't judge wines on the basis of Blossom Hill et al. Though, that said, Blossom Hill rose will always remind me of my first year at Uni... I should've bought shares :razz:

Valpolicella is another fairly safe bet with reds.
    french wine is the best.

I don't agree and neither do most people (French wine is becoming increasingly unpopular) but each to their own.

Apart from Rioja I prefer New World wines and in particualr Australian wines.
    Weekender Offender 
    I dont mind wine... buckfast wine

What about Barley Wine e.g Gold Label? Get's you rapidly pissed.
    Weekender Offender 
    Red gives me too bad a hangover, a good fruity white is good though, especially a South African.

P.S - I know I say this everytime and I know that for some reason people dont see alcohol as a drug, but shouldnt this be in the Drugs section?
    budda wrote:
    Red gives me too bad a hangover, a good fruity white is good though, especially a South African.

P.S - I know I say this everytime and I know that for some reason people dont see alcohol as a drug, but shouldnt this be in the Drugs section?

No because alcohol is perfectly harmless and only dangerous drugs go in the drugs section. :rolleyes: ;)
    red wine is vile, I think of it as the devil's missus' menstrual blood.