Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

finding somewhere to live?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How does everyone do it? I've been looking for a flatshare for round a month and supposed to be moving house next week but still haven't found anywhere to live, lol now its starting to piss me off........I've looked around online but most of the websites want to charge you to use their service, and the only free one I can find is gumtree, which every man and his dog is using so all the good rooms go quick, I'm looking for somewhere near clapham junction but having no luck, found one place then it fell through cos the other flatmates pulled out.........so does anyone know of any other websites, or any advice? short of going down clapham and looking at shop windows I'm out of ideas......I could pay for the other sites I suppose, but looking at the ads most of them are already on gumtree, so I don't see the point......

Comments

• PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
    Why don't you try calling letting agents in the area - although they probably mostly deal with people renting an empty house, I'm sure in Clapham there will be many that are flat shares and they will know if one of their properties they manage needs a new tenant...

Try having a read of finding a place for more inspiration

Hope that helps
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ta pearly, i've been to a few letting agents but they only usually deal with single tenancy agreements and not HMOs, so either i get a whole flat to myself which i can't afford, or i find some flatmates to share a single tenancy agreement with, which i don't have time for.......plus they always charge a bomb for admin, then you need references etc etc and usually 6 month min let contract so not very flexible, i've always avoided them in the past like the plague, looks like it's the shop windows for me.
    thanks sarah, those sites are for single tenancy again tho and i'm just looking for a room in an existing flatshare.....

i'll check that site out mystify, nice one.

keep em coming.....
    thanks sarah, those sites are for single tenancy again tho and i'm just looking for a room in an existing flatshare.....

i'll check that site out mystify, nice one.

keep em coming.....

I got my flat off gumtree but there's something called roommate which is quite good.
    cheers PK, you got a website for that? I tried googling it but that didn't really help lol.....
    cheers PK, you got a website for that? I tried googling it but that didn't really help lol.....

http://uk.easyroommate.com/
    Local paper. Have you mentioend this to anyone IRL yet?
    I found my last two flatshares through Gumtree.

I know rooms go really fast on there, but keep checking and checking and checking it, if you snooze you lose :yes:
    i dont know if you'll have any luck, but on www.thestudentroom.com forums, for my university there are one or two ads for spare places in a flatshare... dont know if its any good to you though :)
    I've found flat/house shares in the past in the back of mi local paper before. Or if ou ask peeps you know who share- their landlord often has other properties so it's worth giving them a ring even if your mate's house is full. A friend of mine recentl registered (free I presume coz she's as tight as me) on a website that allows you to contact and vet other people with regard to lodging... My mom's got a room going and another room if you need office space- but I'm guessing she doesn't live where you wanna live... and she's having building work done so it's not actually free now for a few weeks...

Asking around usually brings up results though.

good luck
    Loot - in the days before the internet was very good - also you can advertise in there for free so you could advertise yourself as looking for a room and get people to phone you up offering them if you dont' watn to shell out to buy the paper or subscribe online - but i think as everyone else has said you really have to get on the case looking on the day things are advertised.

Also when I advertised for flat mates I gave up all hope of finding any but then when the ad went up on the internet for free after about 9 days i got loads of calls so i'd look into that.

Or just ask around I guess.........
    Try buying LOOT (or going to www.loot.co.uk but the paper is better than there website).

I wouldn't recommend the websites like easyroommate as they make you pay about 30 quid to respond to one of their ads. I registered with them about 3 weeks ago and have received tonnes of spam from them so I've had to block them. It was free to register but as soon as you are interested in getting in touch with anyone you have to pay quite high rates.
    Randomgirl wrote:
    Try buying LOOT (or going to www.loot.co.uk but the paper is better than there website).

I wouldn't recommend the websites like easyroommate as they make you pay about 30 quid to respond to one of their ads. I registered with them about 3 weeks ago and have received tonnes of spam from them so I've had to block them. It was free to register but as soon as you are interested in getting in touch with anyone you have to pay quite high rates.

yeah i hate those kind of websites that pretend to be free, make you spend half an hour registering giving all your details, then you discover what the game is but by then it's too late cos they have all your details, and.....bingo, spams the word........bastards.

cheers for the tips peeps, may have to get a local paper and a copy of loot, going to see a place tomorrow night though, fingers crossed the house hunting saga will be over.
    You could rent yourself a room in that house you were going to buy/are buying.