Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Concussion

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I got chucked off a horse yesterday at a canter, apparently I lost about 15mins of memory, I remember being on the horse, and then I remember looking up the track to see my mates neighbours coming to see if we were ok. I don't remember her mum leaving with the horse. She was asking me things like, what did we do this morning, and I looked at my watch to see what day it was and I said "I must have gone to church, did you come with me?". I'm can remember stuff now to my usual capacity, except the 10-15mins between being on a horse and thinking "err, he's not stopping is he" and being on my knees with my mate looking at me. I've got a headache that isn't going away, and I'm not a fan of doctors. So on the premise that I'm going to the walk-in centre tomorrow if I don't feel better. Does anyone have anything constructive to add?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yeah, go to A&E tonight! Or get someone to check you through the night. Keep hydrated.
    Yeah, go to A&E tonight!

Yep. Get yourself there ASAP. It's worrying you have a headache that isn't going away. You need to get checked out now.
    You can't ignore things like head injuries I'd go to A&E tonight to be on the safe side.
    I got a smack on the head a week or so ago... and although it doesnt sound half as bad as yours, I ended up at A&E last Wednesday having a brain scan just to be on the safe side. Especially if you've lost memory... get yourself down there NOW. Just to be on the safe side.

ETA - my thread on the same thing http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/showthread.php?t=105700
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Today's better than tomorrow. It sounds serious, you don't want to wait with things like that.
    Head injuries you must always, always get checked out. Good way to skive off work, IIRC - just bang your head on something hard and they kinda obligated to let you have the day off :D

But yea, you do need to get checked out, I mean my experience of concussion is that it hurts and then you go sleepy and just wanna sleep forever. Doctor shone a light in my eye and asked me to stand up and said I was ok, went home and passed out (as in, went to sleep very heavily :p) woke up and felt better.

I mean, we all like to be macho and say 'I don't like doctors' but you cant really fuck about with your noggin, because in an unlikely scenario you could have done more damage than you realise, go to sleep tonight and not wake up. Not trying to scare you or anything lol, but thats why you have to get your head checked out. There was a lad a few years back who got punched at school, was ok and went home but then collapsed from brain bleeding. Nobody suspected a thing.

So yea, we're all worried about you, get checked out please :) you'll probably tell us we're all wrong but I'd rather I get shouted for telling you to get checked out and you being alright, than saying 'dont worry about it' and it turns out its more serious than you realised.
    fuck, I had a concussion once where I lost around an hour.
    there is this kids play, where a child puts his hands between his legs, you grab the hands/arms from behind and pull, so he makes a kinda flip thingy.

In elementary school someone did that to me, but pulled veery slowly, causin AHHHHHHHHHHHHH.... fuck... I just could feel it again.... HORRIBLE... causing me to loos grip on my feet (getting dragged backwards, BUT I DID NOT HAD ANY HANDS, SINCE TONI THAT ASS (which who I will be playing a tablefootball tournament on wednesday), had them in his hands. And I OH NO... it's so terrible, witnessing you are going to smash your head on the ground and second, but don't have any arms...

I woke up in the teachers lap tho, and she was hot....
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    You shoudln't sleep after a significant head injury, until you've been checked out.
    Weekender Offender 
    Thanks for all the advice guys. I took on two litres of water last night and I'm feeling a lot better.

My mate did stay with me sunday night and monday to make sure I was ok, and now I'm alright, but I've got a sore throat. I wouldn't be surprised if my headache is also part of a cold, it's fun having something that can be caused by more than one thing.