Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Jealous, has a point or just lacks a sense of humour?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    To respond to a few points...

I don't know about doctors making better nurses or porters - but they WOULD make better managers. Most managers i've encountered within the NHS exist for the sole purpose of ticking boxes and that's not what healthcare is about. You can't have someone dictating what should be done, when it should be done and how it should be done when they haven't got the faintest idea what they're talking about. This isn't just in the NHS - this is across the board. In most public service environments (healthcare, transport, education), the ones making the decisions about what to do haven't the faintest idea what goes on at ground level.

206 bones?!? Pah, that's the easy bit... I have neuroanatomy this year...

Another thing - at some point, you have to come to terms with the fact you might kill a patient. It's not because of your lack of knowledge - sometimes these things just happen. If you can name a doctor who's never killed a patient in his professional careeer, i'll name a liar. It's something we all have to come to terms with - but if you dwelt on the fact you'd be a useless doctor... we all have to teach ourselves to learn from our mistakes, move on and bring our confidence back up to par for the next case.
  • Options
    I don't quite know where people get this idea of any sort of animosity or bad feeling between nursing students and medical students... maybe I just haven't seen any but from my experience the actual situation is far from it!
  • Options
    dr_carter wrote:
    I don't quite know where people get this idea of any sort of animosity or bad feeling between nursing students and medical students... maybe I just haven't seen any but from my experience the actual situation is far from it!
    Nah, not nursing students, newly qualified doctors and experienced nurses seems to be where the friction is, so my mum tells me anyway. I guess it's like any other area. If you have someone spending years studying to get where they are, and then walk into quite a high position 'above' other people, the odd few are likely to struggle to fit their ego through the door. It's that whole "it's not in my job description" attitude. And those that have worked there for years might not appreciate that too much. But like I said, it's the same in anything really.
  • Options
    If your looking for another profession with a long course and a very long time to get to the top level of qualification have a quick look at what it takes to become a fellow of an engineering institution which would be on par with the consultant level in medicine. Even getting to chartered status takes a long time and an awful lot of slog.

Engineers get to play with lives, people just don't think of it. Think of the consequences of one of their projects going wrong!

The medics (and vets) I come across are fairly cliquely, but then the engineers I know are fairly pally. I think most courses with a lot of timetabled hours will be fairly cliquey, mainly because they spend so much time with their fellow students. Medics also have the common courses thing, its pretty much the same wherever you study it.
  • Options
    dr_carter wrote:
    I don't know about doctors making better nurses or porters - but they WOULD make better managers.

...and there it is. On what basis? Do the doctors have a degree, and MBA? Does medical training now teach doctors how to carry out demand and capacity analysis, for example?
    Most managers i've encountered within the NHS exist for the sole purpose of ticking boxes and that's not what healthcare is about. You can't have someone dictating what should be done, when it should be done and how it should be done when they haven't got the faintest idea what they're talking about.

Whereas you have just shown a detailed understanding of the role of a manager, haven't you?
    This isn't just in the NHS - this is across the board. In most public service environments (healthcare, transport, education), the ones making the decisions about what to do haven't the faintest idea what goes on at ground level.

There are good managers and there are bad managers. there are good doctors and there are bad doctors. I can name several of both - in fact I'm still planning the tattoo which will tell A&E which doctors I want kept away from me, if ever I go in unconscious. ;)

What you have exposed there is the "doctor knows best" attitude which is too readily seen. When it comes to my health, i will go to a doctor. When it comes to managing a service, I'll ask a manager. We are each trained to fill a specific role. i'm not arrogant enough to think that I can heal someone, why the hell are some doctors arrogant enough to think that they can tell me how to manage?

Please, I'd love an answer to that one.
  • Options
    Meh, it's this guy's opinion and he's entitled to it.

He makes some very good points but I think, owing to the nature of the course, perhaps medics do have a lot more work to do than other people. That said, in my opinion, the downside is that it completely restricts your career options if have no past degree or post-grad plans.

Also, there is a case to be made that some medics do a lot more work than others...

Not all medics have it tought. Some are better than others. Some find the work easier than others. Some are at better universities/medical schools where the work will naturally be harder. Personally I think the creator of the group is a moron for strereotyping all medics thus.

I think the critic has a point when he says it's twattish to say that medics have more fun than anyone else. That truly is a retarded thing to say. If anything, given the amount of work they supposedly have to put up with, I'd say that there is less scope for having fun unlike layabout arts students like myself.
  • Options
    sounds like the rantings of a dissapointed dropout who probably didnt get along with his coursemates
  • Options
    ...and there it is. On what basis? Do the doctors have a degree, and MBA? Does medical training now teach doctors how to carry out demand and capacity analysis, for example?

Whereas you have just shown a detailed understanding of the role of a manager, haven't you?

There are good managers and there are bad managers. there are good doctors and there are bad doctors. I can name several of both - in fact I'm still planning the tattoo which will tell A&E which doctors I want kept away from me, if ever I go in unconscious. ;)

What you have exposed there is the "doctor knows best" attitude which is too readily seen. When it comes to my health, i will go to a doctor. When it comes to managing a service, I'll ask a manager. We are each trained to fill a specific role. i'm not arrogant enough to think that I can heal someone, why the hell are some doctors arrogant enough to think that they can tell me how to manage?

Please, I'd love an answer to that one.

Yes, doctors do have degrees... two in fact... sometimes three...

Medical training doesn't teach doctors how to be business managers - however healthcare isn't the sort of environment where you can go around setting targets for everything and anything. We have a job to do that is unlike any other. If we go around trying to speed up the service by cutting corners - we're putting lives at risk. What managers need to do is understand the business that they're working in - which has been demonstrated in many hospitals that a lot of them don't!

What the problem is that doctors are losing the autonomy in organising their own affairs that they've had for years. There's nothing wrong with having managers... just those ones who are arrogant enough to tell doctors how to do their jobs are dangerous.