Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Vegeies, what's your beef?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What's the vegie equivalent to beef or lamb or something luffly like that??

Comments

• Options
    You can get these Veggie Roast things which you can cook and slice up to have with roast dinner, I guess thats about it. They come in different flavours and things.
  • Options
    Asparagus.
  • Options
    im not a vegie but my boyfriend is and most of the time i just find it easier to cook everything vegie than have to do two alternitives.

When im doing vegie mushrooms are my meat i cook them in everythingeg bolagnase just chuck in a shed load of mushrooms instead of mince and viola its soooooo nice :)
  • Options
    cauldron meat free lincolnshire sausages :yum:
  • Options
    Quorn is good stuff.

linda mccartney did sage and onion sausages one year for crimbo - they were amazing, havent seen them since though.

also at christmas ,i have nut roast
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:

:heart:
    Tesco's own rage (in the green boxes in the frozen dept.) is lovely, the sausages and burgers, especially the big quarterpounder ones.

Quorn mince is great with any sauce, I cook it in lasagnes, bologneses, fajitas, with rice, anything. The Quorn chicken-style pieces are good too, I like them in that Patak's Balti sauce.

Linda McCartney stuff mings.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:

Absolutely. I usually get Cauldron brand Tofu as well, which can be used as a meat substitute, although it isn't universally liked...or at least not when I cook it :eek2:

Agree with KHSS on Tesco's own range, especially the Feta and Spinach bakes which I suspect they may have stopped making :crying: and the Quorn "chicken" pieces are a winner, too.

I'm not a big fan of the Quorn mince though, I much prefer the Realeat Mince that Tesco stocks..and Asda's own-brand soya mince is good too. In their frozen section, I believe :)
  • Options
    Cauldron sausages are lovely! A bit expensive though, compared to meat sausages.

Quorn mince is good for bolognaise or chillis.

or Aubergine
  • Options
    Tofu is pretty nice, and this is from someone who'll happily eat steak and burgers every day.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    Feta and Spinach bakes which I suspect they may have stopped making :crying:

The ones in the puff pastry squares? If thats what you mean, they do still make them, I had them on Friday night :yum:
  • Options
    Yeah Tesco's frozen veggie range is really good. Better than all the other supermarkets anyway. I like their sweetcorn finger things, and the spinach and feta bakes.
    Quorn mince is really good, I made a quorn mince lasagne for my family and they didnt notice it wasnt beef, and didnt believe me after I told them it was quorn. In fairness, its the only quorn product that really tastes like meat.
    I agree with linda mcartney stuff minging, but the country pies are realllly nice. Quorn chicken style pieces are good in fajitas and the tikka chicken pieces are good too. Not too keen on their sausages though.
    You're meant to use alot of mushrooms if you're veggie but i'm not too keen on them so tend to use other vegetables instead, alot of potato, sweet potato, aubergine..that kind of thing.
    What's nut roast like? Never tried it, probably cos I don't really like nuts?!
  • Options
    Beef tomatoes?
  • Options
    Asda do some beef style vegetarian pieces now which are excellent (I honestly think they are real meat)
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Asda do some beef style vegetarian pieces now which are excellent (I honestly think they are real meat)

Dude. Thread. Dead.

Check the dates before posting things :)
  • Options
    dead thread but still...

why do veggies try to eat things as similar to meat as possible? why not just go for the more tastier meat option or not at all...

like veggie mince, veggie sausages, veggie bacon....

it puzzles me.

meat rocks. end of.
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote:
    dead thread but still...

why do veggies try to eat things as similar to meat as possible? why not just go for the more tastier meat option or not at all...

it puzzles me.

meat rocks. end of.
    Depends on their reasons for going vegetarian.
    If they go veggie because they hate the taste of meat, then obviously it would be weird for them to go for all the substitute meat stuff. If they go veggie because of animal rights, or because theyre intolerant to meat, then its perfectly understandable that they may still miss the taste, or they may even just like the vegetarian alternative in its own right, not to mention the fact that a lot of the veggie alternatives are lower in fat and calories - ie quorn sausages being about 60 calories each, compared to about 150 or 200 calories for the average pork sausage.
  • Options
    I know this is an old thread but -

I am a meat eater and I love making quorn bolognase. I eat quorn a lot.
  • Options
    Depends on their reasons for going vegetarian.
    If they go veggie because they hate the taste of meat, then obviously it would be weird for them to go for all the substitute meat stuff. If they go veggie because of animal rights, or because theyre intolerant to meat, then its perfectly understandable that they may still miss the taste, or they may even just like the vegetarian alternative in its own right, not to mention the fact that a lot of the veggie alternatives are lower in fat and calories - ie quorn sausages being about 60 calories each, compared to about 150 or 200 calories for the average pork sausage.

guess thats a fair point, just from what ive tasted it doesnt taste anything like meat. just my oppinion of course.
  • Options
    well some of the substitutes are crap and some are pretty good.
    youve also got people like my mum whove been vegetarian for so long, they couldnt tell you whether the substitutes tasted like meat or not, and they dont much care, they just like them for what they are.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster

Linda McCartney stuff mings.

May be old - but ^ is still true :p
  • Options
    I like their deep country pies.
    Theyre exactly like the beef and onion pies you get in a chip shop.
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote:
    May be old - but ^ is still true :p

I'm not sure if it's Linda McCartney but I used to buy vegetarian sausage rolls. They were looooveeely and puffed up massive. But I don't have an oven now so can't have them.
  • Options
    I think Linda mcartneys Wings Mings
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    Absolutely. I usually get Cauldron brand Tofu as well, which can be used as a meat substitute, although it isn't universally liked...or at least not when I cook it
    Glad it's not just me! I love Tofu... and cauldron do "pate" that I really like, too. Mmmmm.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    PussyKatty wrote:
    I'm not sure if it's Linda McCartney but I used to buy vegetarian sausage rolls. They were looooveeely and puffed up massive. But I don't have an oven now so can't have them.
    :yes: they were lovely, but i havent seen them in ages!
    Im like button, i love meat, but i love quorn too, and one day Koe, you will taste it in with something else, and you ill love it! i promise! :)
  • Options
    didn't linda mcartney get busted for having meat in their shit?
  • Options
    Quorn 'Beef' burgers are lovely, taste better than the cows eyelids in normal beefburgers anyday :yes:
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote:

I like the taste of meat, but sometimes the reality of it (veins, chewy fat bits) make me want to puke, so I eat quorn saussies instead. I also can't eat beef cause it messes with my digestion, so again, quorn burgers and mince = godsend. The only real meat I eat is chicken breast meat and bacon. And for the record, veggie bacon is rank.

Although Mr. Kaff is a meat eater but still likes the taste of quorn. For him it's not a replacement, just an additional tasty thing he can eat.
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    didn't linda mcartney get busted for having meat in their shit?

According to a quick google search early frozen meals were found to contain some meat, and some products had double the advertised fat - but that was very early days apparently.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    ButtonMoon wrote:
    I know this is an old thread but -

I am a meat eater and I love making quorn bolognase. I eat quorn a lot.

quorn is nothing like meat, but it tastes quite nice for a meat-free product!