Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Things that piss you off about football

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Bored, so let's all have a rant.

People who "support" another team. Yes, I dislike Arsenal less than I dislike the other big Premeirship teams, but I don't go about saying "Yesss, we won the cup!" when they win a trophy, because that's just silly.

Teams like Livingston (and to a lesser extent Gretna) with no real tradition, with fuck all fans, and who always seem to get one over on you. And you can't have banter with their fans because nobody seems to know any of them.

Managers who come out with any old shite to try and get in the papers. "Oh aye I tried to sign Adebayor on loan a couple of years ago!", whcih is probably the equivalent of "I was gonna buy you a birthday present, but I didn't, sorry!" Nobody gives a shit you fat perma-tanned fuckwit.

Teams (oh, ok Hearts) who get some new foriegn owner, and who's delusional fans think lap up all the soundbites. If you haven't heard already Hearts are gonna win the Champions League in the next five years, folks.

Fans who give certain players dogs abuse all game, but the minute the said player flicks the V back, they go running to the stewards like kids.

Refs who give the big team the big decisions, just because they're the big team.

Teams who get all the above decisions in their crappy little league, but whinge when the other team gets them in Europe. Step forward Celtic :wave:

Sure I'll think of more later :yes:

Join in folks..
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I read that entire thing and it wasn't until after i finished it that i realized you were talking about soccer
    No, he was talking about football, not the US's version of rugby for gayboys.

I'm gonna be predictable, and just say the existence of Manchester United.
    Where to start.....:hyper:

Wages. I realise that football is driven by market forces but it got beyond a joke ages ago. All pay should be performance and appearance based on top of a capped "basic salary".

The FA. Toothless old-boys in blazers club.

Agents. No explaination needed.

Ticket and Merchandise Prices. Replica shirts are the biggest con going.

Sky. Overall they've been positive, but they tend to get a bit over-excited (grand slam sunday anyone?). I realise it's in their own interest to make the games exciting but the Premiership hasn't exactly been interesting the last few seasons has it? I don't think they do enough for the lower leagues which are often far more competative despite the overall standard being lower.

No terracing in the top-flight. I used to be against it, but with the right (stringent) restrictions I see no reason why it shouldn't come back. The grounds are superb but are becoming sterile, even places like Old Trafford (they were very quiet last week ;) )and the less said about Ashburton Grove the better.

Lack of Women's Football. Yeah "monkey tennis", but I honestly wouldn't mind seeing more of it. A summer league perhaps? More exposure and the standard would improve I would imagine.
    FIFA. If anyone can beat the government for incompetence and petty rules it's these guys.

Agents, agreed. 'Specially that piece of shit Willie McKay. Every player he owns (yes owns) seems to kick up a fuss at least once a year, just to get a transfer and line his pockets a bit more, and fuck cares whether it's a good career move.

So-called "best fans in the world" who suddenly disappear when the teams not winning anything.

Ian Dowie's face.

Shit clubs getting bankrolled. I mean you can understand Chelsea, they've got a huge potential fanbase and could be sustainable in the long term. But as if Pompey aren't going to collapse as soon as their financial backers fuck off, like Blackburn did.

The hype surrounding England from the tabloids. The way that England players are either completely shit, or the best thing in the World. Sorry, Peter Crouch is not the greatest striker in the World, and he's not shit either. He's 'merely' a decent player who can do a job.

That's it for now, but I'm sure there's more.
    - All seater stadiums

- Fucking mascots and half time entertainment :mad: :mad: :mad:

- Sky TV

- Rebranding of leagues for marketing purposes (fuck the 'Premiership' and fuck the 'Championship')

- Absurd amounts of money, absurd wages, absurd transfer fees

Every day it passes I'm more glad I now support a non-league club
    The stupidly high wages. They should be on £500 a week tops! :thumb:

The fact that England have got a piss easy qualifying group and Wales dont. :grump:
    League rebranding. How on earth can the old, old Division 4 become League 2? The teams are there for a reason, their shit. Calling it League 2 is fooling know one.

The Wimbledon/Franchise FC fiasco.

Chelsea

Sky TV and the distrubution of the cash.

All-seater rotten stadia

The England football team, if only they were good at winning when it matters as they are at coming up with excuses for another tournament faliure.

John Motson, someone put him out of his misery.

Being a Derby fan, the fact that what Brian Clough did with Derby and dare I say Forest, will never happen again.

Ticket prices

I could go on...
    ticket prices
    small football grounds in the Premiership
    If we had cheaper ticket prices and bigger grounds, football experience would be so much better.
    Footballers crashing cars while driving at 120mph and then everyone feeling sorry for them
    divers
    every footballer in a team having different type/brand/color football boots
    referees with no common sense
    glory fans
    wannabe david beckham hairdo types
    fans who think football is the only sport in the world
    wages
    TV rights
    BskyB
    football mobs and hooligans (if I could I would shoot them all)
    the fact you get told off when you get off your seat in any football ground
    migpilot wrote:
    ticket prices
    small football grounds in the Premiership

Why is that something to be pissed off about? Its not exactly Fulham or Portsmouth's fault that there grounds are small. Anyway, I kind of like Fulhams ground, at last there is a bit of history to it.
    Why is that something to be pissed off about? Its not exactly Fulham or Portsmouth's fault that there grounds are small. Anyway, I kind of like Fulhams ground, at last there is a bit of history to it.
    Because they're small, they have to charge high ticket prices to pay the wage bill, whereas Barcelona and Real Madrid can charge reasonable prices because they've got so many seats.
    They would still charge sky high prices even if they had a 60,000 seat stadium, regardless of what happens in Spain.
    You can bet your bottom dollar that if Chelsea FC had a 250,000 capacity stadium they would still charge £1,000 for season tickets.

Old Trafford can now take 75,000 and I don't think their prices are terribly cheap.

Tickets are expensive in this country because this is rip-off Britain. Small clubs have the advantage of blaming smaller grounds for ridiculous tickets. But they would charge just as much if their grounds were twice the size.
    Incidentally in Spain clubs like Madrid and Barcelona are owned by their members and season ticket holders rather than by individuals. That's one reason prices are not so much of a rip off.

Another advantage is that the board and President can be kicked out by the fans whenever they feel like.

You can add that to the list of things I don't like about football: how ownership of club works. A number of non-league clubs are now run and owned by the fans. If only that was the case with the big clubs...
    Kermit wrote:
    No, he was talking about football, not the US's version of rugby for gayboys.

I'm gonna be predictable, and just say the existence of Manchester United.

Agreed.

The fact that a few years ago it was not possible for me to say that I support my home club without being accused of being a 'glory supporter'.:rolleyes:
    The Burberry clad wankers who follow Eng-er-land
    Plus those who only show an interest during Euro/Wold Cups and then pretend to understand tactics.
    ABUs
    Teams moving towns
    New stadia
    New rules
    FIFA and football authorities generally
    Big money owners
    Games not kicking off at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon or 745pm on a Wednesday
    Stadium Sponsors
    Graham Poll
    Managers saying "I didn't see the incident". So why weren't you watching the game then, fuckwit?
    "We're a big club" - so why have you won fuck all for decades then Wolves/Newcastle etc?
    The Burberry clad wankers who follow Eng-er-land
    Plus those who only show an interest during Euro/Wold Cups and then pretend to understand tactics.
    ABUs
    Teams moving towns
    New stadia
    New rules
    FIFA and football authorities generally
    Big money owners
    Games not kicking off at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon or 745pm on a Wednesday
    Stadium Sponsors
    Graham Poll
    Managers saying "I didn't see the incident". So why weren't you watching the game then, fuckwit?
    "We're a big club" - so why have you won fuck all for decades then Wolves/Newcastle etc?
    Spot on.

Good point about kick off times for games. Several times last season (and I think once this season already) we've had a weekend when there have been 3 or 4 Premiership games at the 'traditional' :rolleyes: 3 pm start on a Saturday- the other 6 or 7 games starting on Sunday or at funny times on Saturday. For that we have Sky to thank.
    It's not just Sky, we also have European competition to thank for that. The clubs whinge about not having enough recovery time after a Wednesday or Thursday tie, so their games are on Sunday.

I don't blame Sky for the kick-off times, because they hand over a very large wedge of cash to show live football, and it is illegal to show live football 2pm-5pm on a Saturday. The clubs and FAPL care more about Sky's cash than the fans and Saturday kick-offs, Sky just provide a (very good) football service.

I hate the big clubs who shaft the rest of the league for a quick financial gain. Manchester United are by far and away the worst for this, lets not forget their former chairman reminding the rest of the football league that they "deserve" to go bust because "that's business". But we should give a special mention to the other big clubs for this too, although at least Liverpool and Arsenal don't tend to be as bad because they've been in the same family since forever and don't have shareholders to answer to.

I also hate Match of the Day- why are we stuck paying a fortune for these bozos to give us "expert analysis" which is basically "he'll be disappointed with that!" when Defoe blazes the umpteeth easy chance over the bar. And why on earth will I be sent to prison if I refuse to pay Lawrenson's obscene wage bill? Sky know how to do football coverage properly, and whilst some may not like the price of Sky, at least you get your money's worth.
    Kermit wrote:
    Sky know how to do football coverage properly, and whilst some may not like the price of Sky, at least you get your money's worth.
    Too right. It's unbelievable Jeff!
    Sofie wrote:
    The fact that a few years ago it was not possible for me to say that I support my home club without being accused of being a 'glory supporter'.:rolleyes:
    Plymouth?
    What good exactly has all this cash from Sky actually brought? When you get past the initial thought of 'but of course the extra millions help smaller clubs' and analyse the consequences- ever growing wages and transfer fees, and the appalling difference in fortunes and massive gap between the Premiership and all the other divisions, I don't think all this extra cash has done football as a whole a great deal of good. Has it? Is it a coincidence than more clubs than ever before are in deep economic trouble? How many clubs did you see goingt into administration 2 or 3 decades ago?

Not to mention ever increasing numbers of kids who won't even give a second look to their local clubs because they can become instant armchair fans of a glamorous Premiership club hundreds of miles away.

And the now risible number of traditional Saturday 3pm starts... of course it's Sky's fault with its multi-game Super Sunday bullshit.
    everything about it :p
    Big clubs with little or no local lads in them. Arsenal in particular.
    Plymouth?

Yes. That was in 2004. And I've been supporting them since I was 12. (2001)
    I'm going to get mobbed for saying this but...........

the fact that alot of people in europe seem to think its alot more interesting and alot harder on the players then american football

*runs*

the fact that alot of people in europe seem to think its alot more interesting and alot harder on the players then american football

*runs*

Soccer?

*runs*

You have to many breaks the players spend most of the time standing about, plus you have to be 7'10 and weigh 22st to play.
    Sofie wrote:
    Yes. That was in 2004. And I've been supporting them since I was 12. (2001)
    :chin: How can you be a glory supporter by supporting Plymouth? Man City are more 'glory' than Plymouth, and that's really saying something.
    Man City are more 'glory' than Plymouth

Have you taken your medication today?
    godscop wrote:
    Have you taken your medication today?

:rolleyes: He is right though...

IWS - 2004 was the year we won the League One (then, division 2) title. Hence why I got called a Glory Supporter...
    See, I watched Man City do almost the same thing, and I was considered a loyal fan. :D