Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

System temp - 112f??

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is this to hot? I think it is because my hard drive is clicking like fook and it's pausing enrything and now my system is starting to crash! Everything was ok until I added another hard drive.

Airflow should be ok because the side panel is always off and I still have 2 mobo fans (cpu etc) and one back fan taking hot air out.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    44.4c
    Yeah I know it's that in c, what are you saying?
    i think 44c is quite low aint it? let me re boot and ill c what my basic sys is opp at
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    i think 44c is quite low aint it? let me re boot and ill c what my basic sys is opp at
    Yeah. I think a "normal" temprature nowadays is about 70C.
    44C for the CPU is good. 44C for the motherboard is not.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Yeah. I think a "normal" temprature nowadays is about 70C.

I'd say about 50.

70 is worryingly high imho.
    my CPU (well, the heatsink) is at 38.3*C since I've just turned it on.

Under load it can go up to 50*C.

Thing is, hard drives may be a different temperature to the rest of the case, maybe it's a good idea to get an intake fan next to the hard drive bays to provide extra cooling?
    cpu - 51C MB - 44C.

That's idle(ish).
    I actually missed the point of this thread amongst the temperature stuff. If it all went wrong after you added the drive, then I'd guess it would be more likely to be either

Low power or
    Dodgy drive.

If it's a dodgy drive, you should see messages in the event viewer.
    low power would be a bit more tricky to diagnose. What is the power supply rated to?
    It seems ok since I stuck the back fan back on. The PSU is a cheapy Magna 500W.
    Mines got to be about 50c+ since I switched to a totally fanless PSU - there's only one fan now in my PC on the CPU and even that is an oversized one I put instead of the orignal so it able to move more air with less turns and hence quieter
    Yea, I *try* to avoid 80 fans now, and tend to only go for 120 so long as they fit in the case. On my micro atx case :p I have:
    1x 120 exhaust fan
    1x artic cooling vga silencer agp slot fan
    1x nexus 'silent' cpu fan

and that's really quiet... but the stock PSU has a frickin 80 fan that makes it tooo noisy. So a new one is in order I think.

Sorry, I'm a geek. Heh.
    Happened again yesterday, temp reached about 40c-ish and my SATA disk went mental and started clicking and grinding and was making Windows pause.

I guess SATA disks aren't as hard as IDE drives. fighting0030.gif
    What make is the hard drive? If that's happening, it sounds like you're using up all your system memory and its trying to use the hard disks swap file.
    It's an 80GB Seatgate Baraccuda. I've loads of memory spare, and didn't have many programs open at the time (if any).

I've ran my computer with loads of stuff open before and it's never happened so I don't think it's a swap problem. Besides, this SATA disk is used for storage so it shouldn't be accessing my swap file like that.
    check system events (start-run-eventvwr) for hard disk errors / bad sectors.

Remove and re-seat the SATA cables.