Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Heritage

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
It wasn't until I moved to a big city that I realized how imprortant heritage is to people and I was wondering how it is to people in the UK and such. When I lived in small town America nobody really cared. If you were hispanic you were "mexican" and nobody seemed to make a big deal of what their heritage was. My dad a few years back got into the family history and heritage thing and since I moved to Chicago and Chicagoland alot of people take alot of pride on where they come from. I also work in a very multicultural place and see it there too. Whether your from India, Puerto Rico, Poland or Phillipeans or whatnot, people are very intouch with their roots. Due to the cultural expression here and my parents, I've recently become very intune with my Irish roots. I, like most other people I have known have a dozen cultures to them, but I can safely say I am about 90% Irish. I think 2 or 3 other things, Danish being one, I can't remember the rest. I'm very proud if Irish and love to learn more and more about it. It has been many many generations since the family has lived in Ireland but my father as auired and traced back a sword used in the Civil war and such. I find it all extremly interesing and love to learn more and as much as I can about the family history.

I was even thinking of getting the family crest tattoo'd before I change my name. What do you think of family crests?

Do you learn about your heritage? Tell me about your experiences.

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I don't really have much to search for... There's a possibility one of my ancestors was Turkish, but that's all. I've not bothered to look.
    My ideology is that it doesn't matter who your ancestors were, but only who you are. Although that's not the reason I've not searched. :p
  • Options
    America is just one fucked up place. The Whites there are mongrel European nationalities mixed together, the Blacks don't even know where their heritage lie because they've been slaves since the 1600's/1860's and the Hispanics are just Amerindian/Spanish inbreds. Load of shit.

I have mainly Irish blood and some Welsh blood in me for generations, so I can safely say I'm a Celt at heart and in thinking.

Slán agus sabhailte achan duine. Tá suile agam go mbeigh bhur lá agaibhse más mhian libh! Óiche mhaith!
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    America is just one fucked up place. The Whites there are mongrel European nationalities mixed together, the Blacks don't even know where their heritage lie because they've been slaves since the 1600's/1860's and the Hispanics are just Amerindian/Spanish inbreds. Load of shit.
    !

Its actually quite differnt once you expereince it. Most people know where they are from and when the travels came from. Though your on with the blacks. There are very few blacks who know where they are from. I'm friendly with quite a few via various jobs and none of them know unless its been in the last few generations. Which I know a few of those. But alot of people I've come into contact with have either recently come over and know specifically or done alot of research to find out exatly and become very proud. I extremly/highly disagree with your hispanic view though. Its not even close.
  • Options
    How so?

Most Hispanics in America are Mexican which is a product of native Amerindians and Spanish immigrants mating from the 16th Century onwards.
  • Options
    Most hispanic people I have met have taken their pride in being peurto rican, cuban, nicaraquadan, el savadorian... not mexican.. if they are they will be prould of it... but they are very proud and distuinguished of what country they acutally came from, not just "mexican" most will be highly offended if you say they are in any part mexican.
  • Options
    I'm just scattered all over England. My blood is mainly from Stafford, but there's a drop of Yorkshire, and a bit of somewhere else (Telford I think)

I'm all English though as far back as I know. How unexciting :rolleyes:
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I'm slightly scattered and know quite a bit about my heritage. Separate people on either side of my family have made family trees and it is interesting what has come out of it all.

But i'm sure every family has someone that 'they don't talk about anymore' ;)
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I hate such cases.
  • Options
    When I was in Chicago I met so, so many people of Irish descent. I thought it was really charming how proud they were of it, except for one bloke who started sniffing me saying "I can smell Ireland from here". Thanks for that :lol:

I'm half Irish, half Scottish so another Celt here of sorts. I'm very proud of my background and have done a lot of research into the Irish side of my family with my mother - who finished her family tree last year. I think the pride in my heritage probably stems largely from my Dad's extreme pride in being Scottish, though.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix

Yep. He moved out to Aus.

Anway, I don't know. I have Scottish in me, Yorkshire, a little Irish, and we reackon some German furthur back.

I don't know though.
  • Options
    Afaik I'm English and Scottish.
  • Options
    My Mum's side is Scottish with a little Italian along the way. And my Dad's side is a mainly English.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Most hispanic people I have met have taken their pride in being peurto rican, cuban, nicaraquadan, el savadorian... not mexican.. if they are they will be prould of it... but they are very proud and distuinguished of what country they acutally came from, not just "mexican" most will be highly offended if you say they are in any part mexican.

They are another product of race mixing. Southern and Central America was full of native Amerindians until the Spanish/Portuguese came and started race mixing. You will find native Amerindians and native Spanish people in this countries but they're few and far between.
  • Options
    Don't know alot about my family's heritage; only that my dad's dad (real; not step) is Maltese. Most of my mum's family were born in London.
  • Options
    100% irish :thumb:
  • Options
    25% Irish, 25% french-candian (hence the unpronounceable/spellable surname to those that dont know) from my dad. I know less about my mums side although part of her side is sussex farmers for generations and some nottingham.

There are lots of "unspeakables" in my family although thats a topic I'm not going to discuss on here.
  • Options
    I'm 75% Scandinavian (Norwegian mostly) and 1/8 Irish, 1/8 German. My family comes from about 5 or six generations of proud Scandinavian Midwestern farmers, my dad being the first to not spend some of his life working on a farm. We've got a detailed account of our family history as well but I haven't had the chance to read it. I plan on doing that over the summer. It's important to know your roots.
  • Options
    My Mam's family have lived in the town I'm from for generations,and my Dad's from Falkirk and his Dad was Irish.

It's not really thrilling stuff, I couldn't give a toss what my great great great Granda did in all honesty.
  • Options
    My Gran is Italian and my Grandad is from New Zealand :yes:

Thats about all that is interesting in my family, my other Gran and Grandad are from Battle and Portsmouth.
  • Options
    Aside from the usual banal and borderline racist ignorance of yerascrote (who of course would know more about south and central americans heritage than they would themselves and dismiss them all as 'Mexican') it's an interesting question. Though one thing I'm not clear on - are you interested in people's knowledge of their family history, and events surrounding it; or of their bloodline?

Most people I know in the UK who are interested in their heritage tend to be interested in the events that shaped their family rather than their racial makeup (after all we're ALL African when you go far enough back).
  • Options
    none of my immediate family have come from outside england for quite a few generations i don't think.
    I know some of my mums side have been traced back to essex but thats about it. Hardly thrilling stuff.

Having said that my cousins married an american and now they're having a kid so we're begining to widen our heritage :p
  • Options
    I know my family on my dad's side are from Scotland and Portugal and Northern England... and my mum's side I think there's some Irish blood in there... I'd like to know more about my ancestors... especially the Portugese ones, but I've little hope of ever finding out about them.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    Aside from the usual banal and borderline racist ignorance of yerascrote (who of course would know more about south and central americans heritage than they would themselves and dismiss them all as 'Mexican') it's an interesting question. Though one thing I'm not clear on - are you interested in people's knowledge of their family history, and events surrounding it; or of their bloodline?

Most people I know in the UK who are interested in their heritage tend to be interested in the events that shaped their family rather than their racial makeup (after all we're ALL African when you go far enough back).
    When people talk about heritage they're usualy talking about their cultural history, or they're family history and the stories that shaped it.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    Aside from the usual banal and borderline racist ignorance of yerascrote (who of course would know more about south and central americans heritage than they would themselves and dismiss them all as 'Mexican')

:confused:

Have you even read what I wrote? I never said anything of the sort.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    English through and through.
    My Aunt's done the old familly tree thingy and one side of my familly is from London and the Cotswolds and the other is from up Derry way.

So happens that I'm also distantly related to Julie Andrews aka Mary Poppins. :D
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    :confused:

Have you even read what I wrote? I never said anything of the sort.
    This little gem.
    Pretty stark generalizations right there, claiming that this different groups are homoginized amongst themselves is deffinatly a stretch. And I don't totaly get what the "Load of shit" comment was about at the end there.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    My Grandma on my dads side was Irish, other than that English all the way through. My mums side mainly being based on the Coal mining areas to the South of West Yorkshire.
  • Options
    This interests me tremendously. Might angle for this for Xmas actually.
  • Options
    My dad's (real) dad was Irish, my mum's mum is Scottish. Other than that, the other 50% of me is English, afaik.
  • Options
    I'm half Czech and half English. A lot of American people crack me up when they say they are Irish just because their great great great grandad was.