Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Sending your CV back *unread*

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So on Tuesday i received my CV back from a company i applied for an apprenticeship with, along with a letter saying i was unsuccessful. My CV appears as if it's unread, as if they never even opened it and had a look. :( This is the third time that this has happened to me, so i'm wondering...is it common practice for companies to do this, or am i just unlucky? :(

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've never had it happen. Do they normally send it back over in Oz after an unsuccessful job application?
    Apparently according to a book i've got on interview success, some companies use a computer to scan cv's for key words...if your cv matches what they are looking for yours will be flagged up. I guess this would mostly be larger organisations with large amounts of cv's to trawl through, so this could be where your going wrong.

In any case I would contact them and ask to speak to someone for feedback to find out how you can improve your chances of being invited for an interview with another company.
    i'm wondering...is it common practice for companies to do this, or am i just unlucky? :(
    Here in the UK they bin them instead of send them back.
    Randomgirl wrote:
    Here in the UK they bin them instead of send them back.

And don't call you either...

I was told she was arranging interviews at the moment... two weeks later I phoned and said I'd found another job just so they know and she told me the position had been filled but they'd keep me on file for another job :confused:

To be fair, it may have been cos I was male, cos when I spoke to her she said it was a bit unusual for a boy to be applying for the job (working in a deli / flower shop). They don't actually employ *any* males, but there you go...
    To be fair, it may have been cos I was male, cos when I spoke to her she said it was a bit unusual for a boy to be applying for the job (working in a deli / flower shop). They don't actually employ *any* males, but there you go...

If you think that it was because you were male they would have probably been in breach of the Sex Discrimination Act.
    If you think that it was because you were male they would have probably been in breach of the Sex Discrimination Act.
    But what's the chances of proving that?
    I think its fairly common in small shops run by women, no offense or anything :p but theres half a dozen 'women only' small shops round here I could point out. Mainly delis and stuff.

But then on the other side, how many garages do you know with women mechanics (who arent the receptionist). Actually, I know of one... but thats a bike garage and hot female bike mechanics are highly employable, for some reason :p.

Nifty with a spanner too.