Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

DWP-Wuckfits !

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I got a letter this morning, from the DWP, explaining the way my benefits are worked out. Two things caught my attention, 1. I'll be getting less than i do at the moment, about £40/week and 2. It was a different office, about 15 miles away (my current DWP office is about half a mile away).

It's taken me 2 fucking hours of phone calls to find out that my old office is closing, and the new office i'll be dealing with, doesn't deal with income support (another office will), so that's why it wasn't included in the letter i got today.

FFS why don't they say this in the letter ? That office (my original one) must have 1000's of people claiming benefits. Are they going to be sending these letters out to all of them and having to deal with 1000's of people phoning up to find out what's going on with their benefits ? Obviously they are, which is why i had to spend 2 hours on the friggin phone this morning !

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I agree with you they are. They have fucked up our tax credits many a times.
    Hope you get it sorted.
    don't get me started on tax credits!!!! ffs. when I went onto tax credits from New Deal, my ND advisor did all the paperwork- so you'd assume it was correct! Not so, and bitchingly, even though I have to pay back any overpayment, the fact that my tax credits affected my other benefit- Housing Benefit means I'll be double out of pocket because they don't go back and re-adjust that to what I would have had minus the overpayment that I'll have to pay back. Nice interest free loan the Tax Credit plonkers get at my expense. boo hoo hoo.

How come your income support is going down rubber? Surely that's not right, it used to go up by 24p every quarter or so when I was on it...
    No it's not, the inc.supp. Actually everything's still the same, except my office is closing down and they're moving all my details to the new office. One will deal with incapacity, one will deal with inc.supp. and Blackpool will go back to dealing with my DLA. So instead of having one office, nice and efficiently dealing with my claim, i've now got 3 offices to ring round if summat goes wrong. That was also the point of my post, why didn't they just say 'Nothing's changing, except the offices we use and who'll be dealing with your benefits.'
    because that would make sense ;).
    DWP don't do tax credits! HMRC does tax credits.

They are all (some)a bunch of wankers at times.
    Thank god you got here before I did :yes:
    And now it gets better. After 2 hours of phone calls yesterday, and being reassured that nothing's changed, except the office who'll be dealing with my claim, i get a letter saying i'm not entitled to income support any more and i haven't been since August 9th !!!! Fuck all's changed except i've moved. Nothing i can do about it till Monday. Fucking fucking assholes !
    RubberSkin wrote:
    And now it gets better. After 2 hours of phone calls yesterday, and being reassured that nothing's changed, except the office who'll be dealing with my claim, i get a letter saying i'm not entitled to income support any more and i haven't been since August 9th !!!! Fuck all's changed except i've moved. Nothing i can do about it till Monday. Fucking fucking assholes !

Just laugh, and then shout on Monday babe. They're all useless, anything to do with your entitlements and money and braincells seem to go out the window.

Thing is with my family, they tend to over pay us things, even when we explain to them we're not entitled to it - and then demand it back in a lumpsum so many months later. This is where we politely tell them to get stuffed, and we pay them back monthly :rolleyes:
    nicx1811 wrote:
    Just laugh, and then shout on Monday babe.

Yeah i know. Think i'll have one of super duper baked potatoes for dinner, and a crate of wine ! :D
    Well apparently i've lost my severe disability premium adn therefore my inc. supp. because i now live with someone. Though how the hell living with someone makes you less of a manic depressive and less HIV+ God only knows.

I had a look round the Disabillity Alliance website (quite good actually) and it does say that one of the criteria for getting severe disabillity premium is that you live on your own, but there are exceptions (which, unfortunately it doesn't state). So i'm going to appeal with the help of THT, and see what happens. Still didin't get paid my other money today, assholes.
    That's just crap.
    RubberSkin wrote:
    Well apparently i've lost my severe disability premium adn therefore my inc. supp. because i now live with someone. Though how the hell living with someone makes you less of a manic depressive and less HIV+ God only knows.

I had a look round the Disabillity Alliance website (quite good actually) and it does say that one of the criteria for getting severe disabillity premium is that you live on your own, but there are exceptions (which, unfortunately it doesn't state). So i'm going to appeal with the help of THT, and see what happens. Still didin't get paid my other money today, assholes.

They should be able to claim carers allowance shouldn't they?
    I don't know Tweet. TBH i don't want to screw as much as possible, (like i don't claim free parking, Blue Badge, mileage for hospital/psychiatrist/therapy appointments, community care grants etc) but losing my inc. supp. is going to have a dramatic effect. Loss/reduction in housing benefit and council tax benefit. I'll have to pay for the 7 drugs i get of my doctor every month and my dental treatment. I wasn't exactly 'well off' on the level i was on before, but i managed ok, but this is gonna cripple me.
    Yeah i know you don't, but if thats all you can get, it will help you get by.
    Well THT are looking into it and their benefits type person will help me appeal, so fingers crossed it all goes ok. If not then maybe i'll look into it.
    Good luck with it all.
    What's THT?
    Terrence Hggins Trust. It's a charity that helps people with and/or affected by HIV/AIDS. Like their families, partners, friends etc. They also do a lot of sexual health promotional work and political stuff too.
    RubberSkin wrote:
    I'll have to pay for the 7 drugs i get of my doctor every month and my dental treatment. I wasn't exactly 'well off' on the level i was on before, but i managed ok, but this is gonna cripple me.
    You might still be entitled to free prescriptions due to low income. You can apply for a certificate (HC2).
    Oh yes, i forgot about that. I'll have to send off for a form.
    Well it's took nearly 10 weeks and a lot of faffing about but finally got everything sorted the way it was before i moved. Hurrah. Must admit, the woman who was dealing with my claim was really nice a bout it and told me exactly what to say and proof to send in on my appeal.
    Hoorah!

What a pain you had to go through all that though. Glad you found someone helpful to sort you out. I'm waiting for a decision on my sons DLA re-application and I just hope we don't have to go through appeals :(
    Glad to hear you got it sorted in the end.