Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Towels and Sheets

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What temperature are you supposed to wash towels and sheets at? All mine say 40 on them but i've heard that doesnt get rid of all the dust mites. I wash at 50 but someone told me its supposed to be 90! Any clues?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Depends on the fabric. 100% cotton can be washed on a 90c wash, man made fibres usually 40c maximum. I'd of thought a 40c wash would kill dustmites. Check the care label on your sheets.
    You can freeze them to kill dustmites afaik. But I would have thought a 40c was would have dealt with them too.
    I wash towels at 50, generally. I'd like to wash them at a higher temperature than that but since I can't be arsed checking all the care labels individually I just bung 'em all in... never had any problems so far.
    yep they all say 40 but i saw recently i cant remember where that bedsheets especially need to be washed at higher to get rid of all the crap that makes you allergic. i spotted the 95 wash on my machine :shocking: :shocking:
    if you've washed them a few times already and don't need to worry about colour run, then wash them hotter. but as I say, freezing things works, because it's what you do with pillows and cuddly toys that you can bung in the washing machine.
    Generally the care labels say a much lower temperature than is strictly necessary, it is safe to wash 100% cotton items on a boil wash. Most sheets and towels will be 100% cotton.

Just don't wash anything valuable on a higher temperature, but I'm not very attached to any of my bedding or towels.
    lol i was more worried about my bath towels coming out the size of tablemats
    If you put enough decent detergant in there really isnt any need to put anything on a boil wash anymore, that was just when detergants were crap. It used electric like its going out of fashion.
    I wash everything on 40, because I believe it's cheaper...
    I was sheets and stuff at 60 degrees.

Fuck the environment, my dog is constantly on my sheets!
    I wash most things at 40 including towels and sheets, unless theyre white, and then I was at 60.
    I dont wash ANYTHING at 90. 40 is completely adequate for most things and better for the environment and cheaper. I only do whites at 60 in an attempt to keep them from going grey.
    Everything goes on at 40 in our house. no problems.