Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

CIA applies for permission to torture

124»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blagsta wrote:
    Are they fuck. A bunch of misanthropic losers a threat to Britain? Get a grip Aladdin.
    It was actually a tongue in cheek comparison Blagsta.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    The French were once a threat, the Vikings were once a threat etc. You used Nazis as a deliberate comparison dis. Have the balls to admit it.

Of course people use the Nazis as a deliberate comparison for several reasons a) many people struggle with any knowledge of history before 1939 b) if you're comparing the Islamists to something like the French Revolutionaries and Napoleon there's plenty of people who think the French Revolution, I suspect there's less who would say the Nazis are good

But what Dis didn't do was compare Nazism and Islam.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    It was actually a tongue in cheek comparison Blagsta.

Oh. :o
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Of course people use the Nazis as a deliberate comparison for several reasons a) many people struggle with any knowledge of history before 1939 b) if you're comparing the Islamists to something like the French Revolutionaries and Napoleon there's plenty of people who think the French Revolution, I suspect there's less who would say the Nazis are good

There were plenty of other things dis could have used. The fact he chose the Nazis is very telling.
    NQA wrote:
    But what Dis didn't do was compare Nazism and Islam.

Not directly he didn't, no.
  • Options
    What's really incredible is when someone compares certain actions of the Israeli government to those of the Nazis (and I think we all know that's a lot fairer comparison than most, when you consider concentration camps, collective punishment, the creation of ghettoes, some members of the Israeli governments of the last few decades beliving in racial superiority, racial laws restricting inter-racial marriage, etc etc etc ) Disillusioned hits the roof.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    There were plenty of other things dis could have used. The fact he chose the Nazis is very telling.

Kaiser's Germany perhaps? before 1918 with the extension of the franchise its hard to make a comparison about groups being a danger to UK democracy - simply because its arguable that we weren't a full democracy before 1918.

As I also said its got to be a group people of heard off. There may be a comparison between radical Islamics today and the threat that radical Catholicism posed during Elizabeth and James I and VI, but how many people know enough about the intracies of Tudor and Stuart England/Scotland to get the allusion
    Not directly he didn't, no

So why raise it? Unless you're starting to pick up every allusion to Hitler and the Nazis and complain - in which case I fully expect your ire to be raised the next time someone compares Bush to Hitler.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    So why raise it? Unless you're starting to pick up every allusion to Hitler and the Nazis and complain - in which case I fully expect your ire to be raised the next time someone compares Bush to Hitler.

:banghead:

I didn't raise it initially, if you read the thread.

Dis didn't directly make a comparison, no. But he did indirectly make one.
  • Options
    Oh, and for the record - I think comparing Bush to the Nazis is equally fatuous.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    :banghead:

I didn't raise it initially, if you read the thread.

OK I'll rephrase - 'why comment?'
    Dis didn't directly make a comparison, no. But he did indirectly make one

Frankly the claim that he compared Moslems to Nazis is a bit tenous and is a bit like me (to labour the Nazi point) to say the SS were a bad lot and for people to complain that I'm anti-German
  • Options
    He didn't have to use any comparison at all, that's the point. Saying "Islamisists are a threat to Britain" is a lot different than saying "Islamisists are a threat to Britain just like the Nazis where," surely you can see the difference?
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    He didn't have to use any comparison at all, that's the point. Saying "Islamisists are a threat to Britain" is a lot different than saying "Islamisists are a threat to Britain just like the Nazis where," surely you can see the difference?

Well yes, it one he makes no comparison and in another he uses something to show what type of threat they are. Lots of things are threats of one type or other, by comparing to Nazis he suggests they're a major threat as compared to EU directives, which are a minor threat.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    OK I'll rephrase - 'why comment?'

Because I've been sick off work for 3 days and I'm bored.
    NQA wrote:
    Frankly the claim that he compared Moslems to Nazis is a bit tenous and is a bit like me (to labour the Nazi point) to say the SS were a bad lot and for people to complain that I'm anti-German

I'm not claiming that he is comparing them directly (as you'd know if you bothered to read my posts). However, mentioning the Nazis unnecessarily is quite telling as to what dis's opinions are.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Well yes, it one he makes no comparison and in another he uses something to show what type of threat they are. Lots of things are threats of one type or other, by comparing to Nazis he suggests they're a major threat as compared to EU directives, which are a minor threat.

Bollocks. Minor Threat are a US punk band.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

I know the feeling - I am work and bored

I'm not claiming that he is comparing them directly (as you'd know if you bothered to read my posts). However, mentioning the Nazis unnecessarily is quite telling as to what dis's opinions are

That he thinks radical Islam is a big a threat as Nazism? Possibly slight hyperbole, but certainly nothing like as bad as the howls of mock outrage make it seem
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

You're not the only one. Interns don't have much to do around here.
    Blagsta wrote:
    However, mentioning the Nazis unnecessarily is quite telling as to what dis's opinions are.

How is it telling? What are my opinions?
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    That he thinks radical Islam is a big a threat as Nazism? Possibly slight hyperbole, but certainly nothing like as bad as the howls of mock outrage make it seem

Who's howling in outrage? :confused:

To compare a disparate, disorganised political/religous cult to a nation state with all the weight of a military-industrial complex behind it is rather stupid.
  • Options
    You're not the only one. Interns don't have much to do around here.

How is it telling? What are my opinions?

You don't know what your own opinions are? How odd.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    You don't know what your own opinions are? How odd.

I was interested in discovering the falsehoods of your assumptions.
  • Options
    Your opnions are all over these forums dis. What do you want me to do? Quote a load of 'em? What will that prove?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Your opnions are all over these forums dis. What do you want me to do? Quote a load of 'em? What will that prove?

Well if that's the case what was telling about my previous post?
    Blagsta wrote:
    mentioning the Nazis unnecessarily is quite telling as to what dis's opinions are.

So how is it telling?
  • Options
    Do I have to spell everything out?

dis you think that radical Islam is in some way comparable to Nazism.