Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Eurgh mould

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've recently moved into a flat (in july), checked for signs of damp and seemed to be none, apart from spare room smelling a bit musty but we put that down to it not being used and opened the windows (which didn't make any difference). Anyway in the last week mould has come into the spare room, it is on the blankets and sheets which are on the futon from someone staying and when I took the sheet off it was very damp. Also in the bedroom today i discovered a bag hanging on the bedpost has mould all over it! Nothing else seems to have mould, although i looked on the chimney breast wall (which is where the bed is) and it seems to have white marks which I have a feeling are the beginnings of mould.

HELP!!

Is this my problem or the landlords? There was no mould when we came, is it our fault for not opening the windows enough?
Also what can I do to stop the mould coming?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Plenty of ventilation will help prevent mould. Make sure the air can circulate around areas where the mould has occured and try not to clutter it up too much. I don't know for sure, but you maybe able to get some kind of spray to treat really bad areas. Also, a dehumidiffier (if that's spelt correct) will certainly help. Don't expect reults overnight, it may take a while.
    Mould is a landlord's responsibility, and any damage to your goods is his responsibility.

Good look getting anything out of him though, he'll probably try and blame you. Ours did.

White vinegar is good for getting rid of mould.
    Our landlady is nice, but I'm worried its our fault that the mould has come because we didn't ventilate it enough
    Nah, it sounds like the mopuld has come because she hasn't sorted out her damp coursing properly.

let her know, it sounds like a structural issue.
    we've had mould in 2 different properties whilst i was a student. i think its because old houses are more likely to be damp.
    just let your landlord know and they should sort it out. its most likely to be a recurring problem that they know about anyway.

i've always found my landlords to be very hellpful :)
    Erm, check for condensation in the morning and wipe it up, because I think that's one of the main causes if it's around the windows.