Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Confidentiality agreements in work

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Say for instance someone gets sacked, because they have apparently broken a confidentiality agreement they signed with the company at the beginning of the job. If they never received a copy of that actual agreement, thus never got to see the smallprint of what is and what isn't ok to do at the company, can they be sacked for breaking it?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If they never had access to the document then it would be hard for the company to defend itself.

If the employee should reasonably have known, then yeah, they can sack for it, providing the correct channels have been used. Having access on the intranet would be enough.
    Naomi_UK wrote:
    Say for instance someone gets sacked, because they have apparently broken a confidentiality agreement they signed with the company at the beginning of the job. If they never received a copy of that actual agreement, thus never got to see the smallprint of what is and what isn't ok to do at the company, can they be sacked for breaking it?

You signed it without reading it properly? This is a really, really bad thing to do, as you can find that you are contractually bound to not work for other companies within the same line of work - there are generally heaps of things that you agree to in these contracts. Signing them shouldn't be taken lightly.

I know that I'm still bound by certain parts of my old contracts - some of them prevent me from even discussing certain things for the rest of my life. They can be really, really nasty things to deal with...

To answer your question - yes, you can be sacked for breaking the contract.
    You signed it without reading it properly?

That's the first thing I thought.

If you signed it without reading it properly, then that is your problem, not the problem of your employer.
    Its my boyfriend, he lost his job the other day for reasons he doesnt THINK were in the agreement he signed.

Hence why Im asking, should the company had of given him a copy of the agreement? Or is it normal for them to just have one copy for themselves?

At the moment, hes trying to get a copy of it, but no luck as of yet... they are just not getting back to him so far.
    He is allowed a copy. Should the company have given him one? I really don't know - I guess one of the law students on here would be better qualified to answer.

What has he done that is allegedly against the terms set in the contract?

Either way, you need to whack him on the head with a big stick. Covered in dog poo and maggots. Nobody should ever sign anything without reading it properly beforehand - and if in any doubt about it, have someone who knows more than you read over it.
    I might be making this up but if someone hasn't had the opputunity to read and understand what they're signing then it isn't a valid contract.
    But if someone signs the contract he would have trouble proving he didn't understand it or was denied the oppportunity to read it fully.

You should read everything you sign, and you should take a copy before you sign it. I've been laughed at before for insisting on it, but its the only way you can cover yourself.

You'll be whistling for the company to give him a copy.