Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

A quick question or two about sleeping together

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
No, this shouldn't be in Sex, it's not what you think!

I've recently moved into an apartment with my girlfriend and am therefore sharing my bed on a more regular basis. At home, in my single, I'd mostly sleep on my right hand side, towards the open (non-wall) side of the bed, legs slightly bent in a kind of foetal position or occasionally face down so I almost suffocate. Now I find myself unfairly annexed to the left hand side of the bed (from the pillow end looking down), I've switched sides to face outwards so I'm back to back with my girlfriend and I'm constantly waking up. I hope it gets better with time!

So, to you I ask:

What side of the bed do you sleep on?

What position do you sleep in?

Is that the same when you're sharing the bed as when you're by yourself?

What's your position relative to any other occupants? Do you think this has any meaning for the two of you? Having your back to them: rude?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Relationship forum!

When I first started sharing a bed with exes, I always had rubbish sleep at first. It does change with time and you find a sync.
    VinylVicky wrote:
    Relationship forum!.

:p

It's blatantly not that either! ;)
    U will be the ONLY one to think that my dear
    VinylVicky wrote:
    U will be the ONLY one to think that my dear

Oh dear, will everyone else ignore the questions as well?
    I guess it would fit there, but equally I can see why it wouldn't, well until you get to the any bearing on a relationship bit.

I sleep on the right side of my double bed at home, facing the middle, with my knees slightly curled up towards my chest. My single bed at uni was side on against a wall, I slept with my back against the wall facing the room, knees up again. When I shared that I shuffled over to the other side, still facing outwards, inevitably with back to my man as it was the only way had any hope of sleeping.

Was never really a problem, I need me space to sleep.
    i sleep on my side in a foetal position or on my back on the left hand side of the bed. i have a double bed though so its never a problem sharing ;)

however in single beds its pretty shit at first! i sleep on the outside so i'm not squashed against the wall. you do get used to it though.
    ginner wrote:
    Oh dear, will everyone else ignore the questions as well?
    As well? I answered :confused:
    lol ok I only asnwered 1 question.

I sleep in the middle of the bed
    no 2 nights are the same, which ever position feels comfy at the time
    sharing isnt the same, it is proven that sharing a bed, effects your sleep and there is some statistic that states how many more times you move around in bed when sharing
    I always sleep on the left hand side of the bed and my husband on the right - if i'm sleeping alone i will always choose the left side of the bed if its in the middle of the room or the side next to the wall if there is a wall.
    lipsy wrote:
    i have a double bed though so its never a problem sharing ;)

i sleep on the outside so i'm not squashed against the wall. you do get used to it though.

Is that a come on? :hyper:
    ginner wrote:
    Is that a come on? :hyper:
    i think thats the second itme in as many days as you have said something to me which is a bit weird/innuendo filled :p

no it wasnt! :angel:
    1) I usually sleep centered, because it happend not once, that I rolled pretty much to one side (without pillow) and in half sleep I quickly jerk my head up, pull the pillow under my face again, and by - actually - slamming my head down again, headbutted the railing of the (bunk)bed.

2) Usually I sleep on my side (knees a bit bend), with my bent arm underneath the pillow, but imagine now, that you lean a bit more in stomachwise. On both sides, actually I switch sides constantly before I fall asleep, (and I think while sleeping too).

3) When sleeping with someone in bed (lets say sex-partner), there aren't any rules. Usually I try to face them, especially when talking (d'oh), but if there is not talking I just turn around etc.

Oh, yeah... there is this funny story, when I was sharing this bed with the londoner girl (I am austrian), and she spooned me. and I always jiggled a bit more to the open side, and she (in her sleep) always caught up. When I finally woke up, because I was almost falling out, I woke her veeeeery dizzy (I can't even tell you my name, when waking up), told her, "He, kannst du ein bissl rücken, ich fall gleich raus." Yes... I talked in german to her. she looked at me puzzled, "huh?". Am I talking that unclearly? I repeated that sentence in german once more, until it dawned on me.. "oh... ehh, could you move a bit more to the center of the bed, I am about to fall out. ha!

In winter when it's really cold, I put every corner of the blanket and pull it underneath me, sleeping in fetal, effectively making me a turtle :)
    lipsy wrote:
    i think thats the second itme in as many days as you have said something to me which is a bit weird/innuendo filled :p

no it wasnt! :angel:

It wasn't me miss, or at least I don't remember it!

I do remember what you look like though. :flirt:
    Left hand side is my preference - especially the case with our bedroom now as the left hand side of the bed is right next to the window, good thing for me. But yeah, left side unless it's against the wall as I can't stand being boxed in at night. I sleep on my back or curled up on my side with my back to my partner; no, I don't think it's rude... I hate the idea of sleeping facing someone once the craic has dried up.

Basically I need a feeling of freedom to sleep, I hate proximity and have never been able to sleep "spooning" or anything like that, which some of my exes have taken offense to.

If I have the bed to myself I'll be closer to the middle, but still on the left hand side-ish... and usually spreadeagled like a big, greedy bedhog. It's a thing of beauty having a double bed to yourself :thumb:
    me and the other half have the same problem, we are both bed and duvet hoggers so its difficult to get a good nights sleep sometimes, and i wake up early and often feel cold, where as he likes to lie in and often feels hot. currently if i go and sleep at his im on the floor cos his bedroom is 6 foot by 6 and half foot.
    StrubbleS wrote:
    In winter when it's really cold, I put every corner of the blanket and pull it underneath me, sleeping in fetal, effectively making me a turtle :)

Loving your German story; I like the Austrians, I was on a university field trip to the mountains in the Tyrol and everyone I met was immensely friendly and helpful even though I couldn't speak a word of German.

The turtle formation is genius!
    Right side, on my stomach, bearhugging my pillow.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I sleep on the left hand side of bed, and sleep on my left side. I am always in the foetal position.

If he isn't here then I adapt the same position as my cats then sleep where he sleeps!
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    ginner wrote:
    I've switched sides to face outwards so I'm back to back with my girlfriend and I'm constantly waking up. I hope it gets better with time!

Sleeping issues= health & well being...

So moving it there ;)
    **Helen** wrote:
    Sleeping issues= health & well being...

So moving it there ;)

Good God, you were serious!

Stick a fork in it, this thread's done! :(
    ginner wrote:
    Loving your German story; I like the Austrians, I was on a university field trip to the mountains in the Tyrol and everyone I met was immensely friendly and helpful even though I couldn't speak a word of German.

The turtle formation is genius!

lol, everyone seems to love the austrians and I can't understand specifically why :chin: Like we did some aphrodisiac in your drinking water ;)

tbh: vienna is - as far as I can judge - the worst part of austria. I mean it's great to go out and stuff and it's actually a rad city, but the amount of dicks walking around here is uncanny.

next thesite meet -> vienna :hyper:
    I sleep on the left hand side of bed, and sleep on my left side. I am always in the foetal position.
    ditto

although i always wake up on my back x
    ginner wrote:
    No, this shouldn't be in Sex, it's not what you think!

I've recently moved into an apartment with my girlfriend and am therefore sharing my bed on a more regular basis. At home, in my single, I'd mostly sleep on my right hand side, towards the open (non-wall) side of the bed, legs slightly bent in a kind of foetal position or occasionally face down so I almost suffocate. Now I find myself unfairly annexed to the left hand side of the bed (from the pillow end looking down), I've switched sides to face outwards so I'm back to back with my girlfriend and I'm constantly waking up. I hope it gets better with time!

So, to you I ask:

What side of the bed do you sleep on?

What position do you sleep in?

Is that the same when you're sharing the bed as when you're by yourself?

What's your position relative to any other occupants? Do you think this has any meaning for the two of you? Having your back to them: rude?

I sleep on the left hand side curled up, facing outwards, That's how I'm comfiest but, If i was sharing a bed and I liked the person, Then I would face there way.

I do think the position you mostly sleep in has a meaning :)
    I sleep on the left side of the bed, normally on my side facing out, or on my front. I don't like sleeping on the right-hand side of the bed, it feels wrong, and I always sleep on the left hand side when I'm in a double bed, even if I'm alone.
    In my double bed on my own I sleep on the right hand side almost falling off it, in a foetal position. Or I sleep in the middle spreadagled everywhere. The left hand side is against the wall, I hate sleeping against the wall! My new bed in my uni house is against the other wall, so that's going to be strange.
    I have a single bed so I don't really sleep on a certain side. I usually sleep in whatever position I feel comfy with (I'm always moving about before I actually fall asleep)
    If I sleep facing the wall I get severe closed eyed hallucinations so I always face away from the wall, but recently even that too has got bad. I always lie straight with one side of my face on the bed.
    I sleep much better when with my boyfriend. I normally sleep on the non-wall side of the bed because if im near the wall with him on the outside i get claustropbic. The position i normally drop off to sleep in, is on my right side with my head on his shoulder/chest area and left hand on the other side, then my left leg sandwiching his legs :D

In the night i'll normally wake up too warm with us stuck together with sweat or something (nice..) and change sides to face the outside of the bed and he'll normally curl round me in a spooning like position.

Its quite restricting in a single bed, but i sleep well enough when i finally decide to go to sleep, whereas when im alone in a bed it can take me hours. A security thing maybe?
    Blah wrote:
    I sleep much better when with my boyfriend. I normally sleep on the non-wall side of the bed because if im near the wall with him on the outside i get claustropbic. The position i normally drop off to sleep in, is on my right side with my head on his shoulder/chest area and left hand on the other side, then my left leg sandwiching his legs :D

In the night i'll normally wake up too warm with us stuck together with sweat or something (nice..) and change sides to face the outside of the bed and he'll normally curl round me in a spooning like position.

Its quite restricting in a single bed, but i sleep well enough when i finally decide to go to sleep, whereas when im alone in a bed it can take me hours. A security thing maybe?

That's immensely cute, and nothing like my two in a single experiences, that, hopefully, are now behind me.
    Before I can even answer your question, there is one thing I must say. This one thing is bound to keep and save your relationship if you are sleeping together. Seperate sheets. It has saved my relationship and I have heard good stories from other couples. It prevents stealing, choking and general hatred when you wake up. Its a godsen.

Having said that, we have a cali king sized bed. Nondisturbing coil mattress with a memory foam top cover. Its unnaturally comfortable. I couldn't imagine sharing a bed in anything less than a queen. How horrible :\ I can barely sleep in a double by myself! Two sets of sheets and blankets and a body pillow used as a barrier between us. I apperantly am a very violent sleeper. The pillow came after only a couple days. I kick and knee so he needed some protection.

I sleep on the window side and he sleeps on the door side, he always did so when I came into the picture I just took what side of the bed was left. I sleep facing one wall and he usually faces the other, so backs to eachother, except for this last week when he faced me, crossed the barrier and snored right in my ear. He usually doesn't snore, but of course when he would, he would be breathing down my neck with it.

There has been some abuse in bed. One night whilst I sleep I reached across the barrier, stole his pillow and punched him in the chin and made him bleed. Another night I poked him in the eye. This doesn't include the various kickings, kneeings and slappings towards him. My stuffed Simba will also beat him. I've been known to throw him on Ed's face.

Theres also the random outbursts of "NO, NO MUSTARD!" and mumbling thruout the night and occasionaly I get very gassy.

I, however, always sleep so well.

At least I don't choke him with the sheets anymore.

Though I guess I'm stuck more on the sharing side of things as opposed to sleeping alone.
    I don't know why I have a stupid story to every thread on here.

It would begin with "The time we were 4 peeps in my bed...."

tony, nadine, raphi and me.

some stuff better be untold.