Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Benzodiazepenes and the law

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just to clear up any confusion - benzo's are controlled under two acts - the Medicines Act and the Misuse of Drugs Act. All benzo's are Class C under the Misuse of Drugs Act, unless you have a valid prescription for them. That is my understanding of a "controlled drug".

However the BNF has diazepam as a Prescription Only Medicine, not a Controlled Drug. This is due to diazepam being in Schedule 4, whereas temazepam is Schedule 3. The schedules regulate things like record keeping, how they are kept etc. So Sikorah was right, but so were the others.

To sum up - all benzo's (including diazepam) are Class C without a prescription. The schedules only relate to who can prescribe and how they have to be legally kept etc. Unless you are a professional like Sikorah, all you need to know is that for all intents and purposes, diazepam (along with all other benzos) are illegal to possess without a prescription.

UK law defintions from Erowid

Drug schedules from KFx (ixion)

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thanks for clearing that up.

Misunderstanding i think.
    I was purely talking about the classifications of the drugs for legal dispensing.

Schedules 1,2,3 are 'controlled drugs'(CD's) + temazepam.
    4 and 5 are just regullar Prescription Onlys.