Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

No surprise some kids are getting fatter!!

124»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    budda wrote:
    Actually organic food (especially organic processed food) is often of lower quality than stuff where they use the chemicals. The organic label has nothing to do with the quality of the food at all, just how its made.

I'd disagree. Organic produce, although not the bee-all-and-end-all of quality food, does mean that you're getting food free from pesticides, preservatives, additives etc. It also means that there are stricter regulations on paper-trails as well as the produce (and production methods) being inspected more regularly than non-organic operations.

I'm sure that there are a few anomalous instances of organic food being worse for you than the regular stuff, but on the whole I think you’re getting a better product. However, I rarely think the price hikes associated with organic produce are justified.
    Of course orgainc food will be more expensive.

The whole point of usinf pesticides, fertilisers etc is to increase yeild and seel a t lower prices, take this away and production falls and prices rise.....

Frankly the whole thing is a con, people think that by buying organic they are somehow being virtuous, why? A little less pesticide use is hardly making the world a better place is it?
    Toadborg wrote:
    Frankly the whole thing is a con, people think that by buying organic they are somehow being virtuous, why?

Do they? Have you some hotline to people's inner thoughts? :confused:
    In my experience, of course........
    I (very) occasionally buy organic. Nothing to do with wanting to be "virtuous". More to do with (a) wanting to eat healthier food and (b) not wanting to contribute to environmentally damaging industrial agriculture. I would guess that that is most people's reasoning. I would doubt that most people think they are displaying moral excellence in buying organic.
    why is organic food healthier?
    Toadborg wrote:
    A little less pesticide use is hardly making the world a better place is it?

We could drastically cut down on the amount of chemicals we use without having to go organic, largely the use of chemicals is because of lazy or ill informed farmers. That and we produce FAR FAR too much of the wrong sort of foods because of the CAP.
    Toadborg wrote:
    why is organic food healthier?

I'd have thought that was obvious. It has had no poisonous chemicals sprayed on it.
    budda wrote:
    We could drastically cut down on the amount of chemicals we use without having to go organic, largely the use of chemicals is because of lazy or ill informed farmers. That and we produce FAR FAR too much of the wrong sort of foods because of the CAP.

er, who does what because of the who, which stopping would make what better?
    katralla wrote:
    er, who does what because of the who, which stopping would make what better?

The CAP, or common agricultural policy, basically put it pays farmers to produce things that no one wants so they can be destroyed. Its great really, it knackers farm land in the EU, costs billions of euros a year and excludes Third World farmers.
    Blagsta wrote:
    I'd have thought that was obvious. It has had no poisonous chemicals sprayed on it.

:confused:

You mean that eating non-organic veg is likely to lead to me being poisoned?

Of course not......

Like I said, people are conned into thinking that things which are more 'natural' are 'better' which is the same wooly thinking that leads people to alternative medicine etc
    Toadborg wrote:

Of course not......

So you don't think that pesticides are poisons? What do you think they are then? :confused:
    Toadborg wrote:
    Like I said, people are conned into thinking that things which are more 'natural' are 'better' which is the same wooly thinking that leads people to alternative medicine etc

Eh? :confused: Who mentioned anything about things being better because they are natural? Please stick to the topic in hand.
    Shortay wrote:
    I also read that the mums had said that they couldn't afford the £3.75 a day...
    Hey, can't feed em, don't breed em!
    Ballerina wrote:
    I can sort of understand, if they're not allowed out then they spend most of the lunch time queing and by the time you get there, theres not much left.
    Isn't there a system in place? At every school I've ever been to (infant, junior & secondary) there was a rotating system - eg. for week 1 Class A would get their dinner first, Class B second, & Class C third. Then in week 2 Class B would get theirs first & Class C would get theirs second while Class A would eat last. And if they're spending all lunchtime queing they need new kitchen staff - it shouldn't take that long to stick some food on a line of plates...
    Isn't there a system in place? At every school I've ever been to (infant, junior & secondary) there was a rotating system - eg. for week 1 Class A would get their dinner first, Class B second, & Class C third. Then in week 2 Class B would get theirs first & Class C would get theirs second while Class A would eat last. And if they're spending all lunchtime queing they need new kitchen staff - it shouldn't take that long to stick some food on a line of plates...

We have no such thing. We do however have 2 canteens. One is meant to be for 'lower school' (years 7-9) and one for 'upper school' (years 10-14)
    Who gives a toss about it being "rotating", for two weeks out of three you're stuck eating food that has been abandoned under a warm light for upwards of 30 minutes.
    Toadborg wrote:

Of course not......

No, chances are eating non-organic veg won't kill you, in the same way that me pissing in your mouth won't either.

If only life were so simple.

at my primary school there was, at secondary there wasn't. We had a 40 minute lunch break and in that time 1500 kids are going to the canteen for dinner. I gave up trying to eat lunch while i was there and just had a snack.
    Don't any of these kids take a pack-up? I had 11 years of peanut butter sandwiches and apples for lunch at school!
    Don't any of these kids take a pack-up? I had 11 years of peanut butter sandwiches and apples for lunch at school!

I'm sure they do, they're just likely to have cheese strings (they're made with real cheese honest guv'), crisps and a block of lard in them.

I do and have always taken one. It's much easier and does mean that I don't have to find somewhere to sit to eat my food.
    Ballerina wrote:
    at my primary school there was, at secondary there wasn't. We had a 40 minute lunch break and in that time 1500 kids are going to the canteen for dinner. I gave up trying to eat lunch while i was there and just had a snack.
    I guess we were lucky at my secondary as it had 2 main buildings (plus PE block & technology block) because it used to be 2 different schools (a grammer & a comprehensive) & when they abolished the old system they got lumped together as one school. So some years went to one building & the rest to the other. Then within each building you got divided into 'sittings'.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix

Word. I had Ham, Turke, or Beef sandwhiches, with crisps, chocolate bar, and some fruit. Plus a bottle of Orange Juice (Often spiked with something to make time pass better by myself.)
    Did wonder when this would happen: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/5373018.stm
    See, I'm on two minds about the above piece. On the one hand you can see why some people would get quite pissed off about what appears to be nanny state interfering with folks' affairs. But on the other hand, if you're trying to change your kid's habits and 'trick' them into eating healthy stuff you could certainly do with some advice.
    There's nothing wrong with providing information and advice, because some people do need it, but the problem is that they always have to go one step beyond and start ordering people about.

To be honest, I never liked eating school dinners in the canteen, and preferred a packed lunch so I had more time to attempt to play football.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Word. I had Ham, Turke, or Beef sandwhiches, with crisps, chocolate bar, and some fruit. Plus a bottle of Orange Juice (Often spiked with something to make time pass better by myself.)

That wouldn't be allowed or at least frowned upon in many schools now. The chocolate and crisps might even get removed. What would you have spiked orange juice with?
    Kermit wrote:
    There's nothing wrong with providing information and advice, because some people do need it, but the problem is that they always have to go one step beyond and start ordering people about.

Agreed
    To be honest, I never liked eating school dinners in the canteen, and preferred a packed lunch so I had more time to attempt to play football.

Same here. Sometimes in primary school, I used to spend nearly the whole dinner hour lining up just for dinner and never had time for anything else...