Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Concerns about course

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If you're going to be difficult
    she isnt bein difficult, she is exercising her rights as a human being to refuse something she doesnt want
    Hair once past your scalp isn't alive, but it's not the lack of feeling that shows it, it's the lack of nerves in it that means it doesn't hurt.
    you cant feel it because there are no nerves, so the 2 kinda go hand in hand....
    Littleali wrote:
    she isnt bein difficult, she is exercising her rights as a human being to refuse something she doesnt want

That doesn't stop you being difficult! It's not necessarily a bad thing to be difficult though.
    briggi wrote:
    Should doctors and nurses have to undergo every procedure, inoculation and treatment they have to perform? Should firemen have to have their own home burnt down before they can have an understanding of the duty they're going to perform? Yes, they're "major changes" to a person's physical person or life, but the point still stands that you don't have to go through something personally in order to be able to do a damn good job of understanding and performing a service professionally.

Any news on the tutor front, Ilora? :)

But that's totally different. Or do you think it would be right to give treaments for people who aren't ill meant for people who are ill?
    Sofie wrote:
    But that's totally different. Or do you think it would be right to give treaments for people who aren't ill meant for people who are ill?

Of course it's different! :confused: But - honestly! - whether the instrument concerned is a pair of hairdressing scissors or a syringe, you don't need to go through the procedure or be coiffed yourself to become a competent practitioner.

Why do you need to give a haircut to someone whose hair isn't in need of being cut (or who doesn't want to have it cut)? To gain some kind of "understanding" of the profession? Bollocks.
    Well who else do you think think it should be practised on? It's probably far more easier and cheaper to practise on other people on the course...
    Sofie wrote:
    Well who else do you think think it should be practised on? It's probably far more easier and cheaper to practise on other people on the course...
    people who actually want their hair cut/coloured

colleges usually advertise for live models or ask students to bring their own model in
    Which the college would end up paying for...
    And have to deal with the hassle of.
    Sofie wrote:
    no they wouldnt

they advertise for people off the street, who want their hair doin, to go into the college and get their hair done

nobody gets paid for it!
    And have to deal with the hassle of.
    hassle?please explain....
    Littleali wrote:
    no they wouldnt

they advertise for people off the street, who want their hair doin, to go into the college and get their hair done

nobody gets paid for it!

Yes they do advertise for people off the street, but they public have to pay for the treatment.

And students are generally required to have to have practised first, but it depends on the course/college. Ilora and her class mates may be required to practise first before they are insured by a hairdressing insurance provider to work on a non-course member, it is basic health and safety. The insurance they are under though may allow them to work on external paying clients from the beginning though, it all depends.

Edited because I can't spell safety!
    And hair is actually kertainised cells. It has no nerves, but the cells are alive to a certain point (depending on how long your hair is and when it began growing), otherwise it wouldn't continue to grow back when you cut it off.
    Sofie wrote:

No health and beauty department at any college I'm aware of pays its models; same goes for hairdressers. Obviously I can't speak for the ones in your area. I have been several times to our local college's beauty department to help out friends who were studying - I haven't paid once, or been paid for my time.

They practise on willing models, often advertising in the windows or getting friends and family of students (in the case of colleges) who are willing to come in. There are usually plenty of people who'd love a free haircut or beauty treatment, I don't see why students should automatically be put in the chair (literally) and especially not against their will. If you can't see why that's just ridiculous then I despair, there is no need to cultivate a sense of empathy and understand of treatments in hair and make up students ffs. It's aesthetic, not a deep and complex emotional understanding of what the client goes through from welcoming cup of tea to blow dry and finish.
    nicx1811 wrote:
    Yes they do advertise for people off the street, but they public have to pay for the treatment.

And hair is actually kertainised cells. It has no nerves, but the cells are alive to a certain point (depending on how long your hair is and when it began growing), otherwise it wouldn't continue to grow back when you cut it off.

i have been a "model" and never had to pay, thats the deal, they practice on me and they dont charge, every1s a winner. Maybe like u said, they`d practised tho, either way i still dont think she should be forced to so summat she doesnt want to

as for saying hair wouldnt grow back if u cut it....it would because it grows from the hair follicle which is alive... nails are dead, they still grow back when cut

seriously, hair is dead, google it x
    I'm pretty sure that the hair that is actually visible (i.e. sprouting off the top of your heed) is dead, and just the root cells are still considered to be "alive"?
    briggi wrote:
    I'm pretty sure that the hair that is actually visible (i.e. sprouting off the top of your heed) is dead, and just the root cells are still considered to be "alive"?
    correct root cells/folicles are alive...hair is dead x
    briggi wrote:
    No health and beauty department at any college I'm aware of pays its models; same goes for hairdressers.

Wasn't thinking about paying the model for having something done to them. Was thinking more about insurance and whatever else is needed.
    nails are dead, they still grow back when cut

seriously, hair is dead, google it x

I don't need to google it. I'm a beauty student, and have spent they day doing epliation. I'm fully aware of what hair (and nails, since I have done manicures) are made of. Kertainized cells. Which are living to a certain extent. No they aren't "alive" in the manner of how we are alive but if they were dead, they wouldn't grow.
    i have been a "model" and never had to pay, thats the deal, they practice on me and they dont charge, every1s a winner. Maybe like u said, they`d practised tho, either way i still dont think she should be forced to so summat she doesnt want to

No I don't agree she should be forced into it - I don't like having epilation done on me (In fact I burst into tears today, after I'd fainted while having it done) but the point I am making to her is that she may not be insured to work on "models" straight away. I fully understand and empathise, I'm just offering a slightly experienced point of view.

And most places will charge, you have obviously got a lucky chance at the college in your area. :)

ETA: I'm aware that they are alive in the root rather than the actual hair you can 'see'. I'm not willing to explain what I have been taught about at which point they die though. I was pointing out it isn't actually dead is all.
    Sofie wrote:
    Wasn't thinking about paying the model for having something done to them. Was thinking more about insurance and whatever else is needed.
    would they not have to pay that if students were practicing on students tho?
    Littleali wrote:
    would they not have to pay that if students were practicing on students tho?

That is the point. The insurance becomes mroe expensive when working on external clients. Some colleges wont pay it until you've practised.
    I just wanted to add something - not about the hair thing though. If someone offered me a free cut and colour I would be STRAIGHT in that chair with a big fat smile in my face!

About Key Skills - I didn't have to do any Key Skills lessons at college because I got A in English and B in Maths at GCSE level. I can't see you getting shit GCSE results Ilora, so why do you have to do it? Get out of it if you can!
    nicx1811 wrote:
    I don't need to google it. I'm a beauty student, and have spent they day doing epliation. I'm fully aware of what hair (and nails, since I have done manicures) are made of. Kertainized cells. Which are living to a certain extent. No they aren't "alive" in the manner of how we are alive but if they were dead, they wouldn't grow.
    ur missing my point, hair grows because the FOLICLE is alive, the HAIR is dead

i hope i`m not coming across as patronising, although i fear i am (i dont mean to!) but hair is dead...dead protein

http://hair.lifetips.com/tip/99308/hair/hair-tips/hair-dead-or-alive.html

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=1005121901095

http://www.otal.umd.edu/~vg/msf95/ms25/p4-4.html

About Key Skills - I didn't have to do any Key Skills lessons at college because I got A in English and B in Maths at GCSE level. I can't see you getting shit GCSE results Ilora, so why do you have to do it? Get out of it if you can!

Agreed there. Argue it to the MAX over that Ilora!!! I fought to the death over my ICT ones last year, and they put me up to a higher level. So at least the qualification I got meant something :D
    Littleali wrote:
    ur missing my point, hair grows because the FOLICLE is alive, the HAIR is dead

i hope i`m not coming across as patronising, although i fear i am (i dont mean to!) but hair is dead...dead protein

http://hair.lifetips.com/tip/99308/hair/hair-tips/hair-dead-or-alive.html

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=1005121901095

http://www.otal.umd.edu/~vg/msf95/ms25/p4-4.html

You are coming across patronising. Sorry.

I'm aware by what u mean by dead. And if I could scan my textbooks I would show you what I meant. I'm unwilling to explain Anagen Catagen and Telagen over here though and I do not have a scanner. Me saying hair is not dead was a little joke as such (wrong word but you know) to point out that dead things don't grow back in a way. Hence the smiley.

Right. End of. Sorry for the reaction it's just been a long day.

We are meant to do them and had to do a test last week to see what level we should be doing, but I'm going to see if I can do osmething else during those periods instead.
    nicx1811 wrote:

Right. End of. Sorry for the reaction it's just been a long day.
    hey, no worries, i`m just a little stubborn and when i`m right, i`m right :lol:
    Littleali wrote:
    hey, no worries, i`m just a little stubborn and when i`m right, i`m right :lol:

Same here. God we'd make a good team :thumb: :lol:
    The hassle would be having to deal with external people in college, health and safety, insurance etc.
    The hassle would be having to deal with external people in college, health and safety, insurance etc.

Yay people who think the same as me!

:yes: