Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Muslim anger at vatican

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    christianity is peacful but ...it no longer exists as disorganised lying bigoted religions have taken over it's name but not iit's truths./
    I think, well, Christainity has matured compared to Islam.

Many in Islam believe that killing is an acceptable way to convert people. Christains have a history of this too. The Pope condemned this, but Muslims were up in arms. :rolleyes:
    Aladdin wrote:
    There are fanatics everywhere, IN EVERY RELIGION. BUT THE IMMENSE MAJORITY OF MUSLIMS ARE NOT FANATICS AND THE KORAN DOES NOT ADVOCATE VIOLENCE ANY MORE THAN THE BIBLE DOES.

THEREFORE ISLAM IS A RELIGION OF PEACE- AT LEAST OF AS MUCH PEACE AS CHRISTIANITY.

Get it now? Or should I increase the font size?
    Where did I say the contrary to this? :rolleyes:
    luke88 wrote:
    Not just about the article. About the lastest events such as The Vatican and today.
    Yeah I get that, but I still don't see how this article is linked to these events in any way. Either tell me how it is linked, or admit that it has nothing to do with threats on the Pope.
    Yeah I get that, but I still don't see how this article is linked to these events in any way. Either tell me how it is linked, or admit that it has nothing to do with threats on the Pope.
    Would you have been more happy if I made a different thread?
    luke88 wrote:
    Would you have been more happy if I made a different thread?
    Well if you want, but I just don't think that it warrants a thread really. It's just a protester peacefully giving his opinion. Slightly rude to interrupt maybe, but nothing more than that. I just resent it being lumped into a thread about extremist behaviour, when it clearly isn't.
    Well if you want, but I just don't think that it warrants a thread really. It's just a protester peacefully giving his opinion. Slightly rude to interrupt maybe, but nothing more than that. I just resent it being lumped into a thread about extremist behaviour, when it clearly isn't.
    I think it is. But that doesn't matter. It's hear to stay now. sorry.
    I think it's very insulting to the Islamic religion that these "Muslim" fanatics carry these acts out in the name of Islam and Allah. They don't, the Palestinian suicide bomber doesn't blow himself up for Allah, it's because of Israeli's illegal occuipation on their land, same with Iraqi suicide bombers. Bombers didn't fly planes into the WTC for 72 virgins they did it because they hate the West. And I doubt any of this has got to do with installing a world wide Sharia based law, they're using religion as a cover up for their ulterior motives.
    luke88 wrote:
    Where did I say the contrary to this? :rolleyes:
    Er... on post 85?

Are you completely deluded or do you have some kind of memory deficiency? :rolleyes:
    luke88 wrote:
    I think it is. But that doesn't matter. It's hear to stay now. sorry.
    Well okay then, if you're keeping it here, you have to explain how it (this one incident) is an example of Islamic extremism.
    Aladdin wrote:
    Er... on post 85?

Are you completely deluded or do you have some kind of memory deficiency? :rolleyes:
    I meant, you have these terrorists saying Islam is peaceful then they spout all this shit out. Yes very peaceful. Hence the sarcasm.
    luke88 wrote:
    I meant, you have these terrorists saying Islam is peaceful then they spout all this shit out. Yes very peaceful. Hence the sarcasm.
    I know, and the American government claims that it's a peaceful, freedom-loving country, then go and bomb a bunch of people in the middle east. It's amazing the hypocracy of some people isn't it?
    luke88 wrote:
    Nice bit of back-pedalling.

May I remind you what you said in the opening post:
    I am becoming further increasingly alienated with Islam
    Muslims and Islam peaceful? I’m not so sure.

You have several times singled out Islam as a religion, rather than the minority of extremists who are threatening with violence. I suggest you ensure you separate the two next time.
    It is worth considering that sometimes the Muslim used in this discussion refers to the ones in question, rather than the entire religion. Much like 'people' is often used to refer to the ones in question rather than the entire human race.

You can critisise John Reid because he is a plonker, you shouldn't IMO complain that he entered a Muslim area, THERE ARE NO MUSLIM AREAS. WE LIVE IN THE UK AND THE ENTIRE COUNTRY IS A BRITISH AREA.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I can't WAIT for the Fatwa to be carried through.

I hope it is. I want to see our Nazi Pope get RPG'd. Serve the evil fucker right... he has some ties to the SS, but there is no proof he was in anything except the Youth... but anything could have happened to the end of the war.
    Say what you will about old John Paul II (as I often did), this wouldn't have happened under him.
    Aladdin wrote:
    Say what you will about old John Paul II (as I often did), this wouldn't have happened under him.

You make it sound as if the present Pope has done something wrong. :confused:
    Were you on holiday on the Moon last week or something? :confused:
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    I can't WAIT for the Fatwa to be carried through.

I hope it is. I want to see our Nazi Pope get RPG'd. Serve the evil fucker right... he has some ties to the SS, but there is no proof he was in anything except the Youth... but anything could have happened to the end of the war.

You really talk ill-informed bollocks don't you? Do a bit of research into the Pope and you'll find out that far from being a nazi he came from an anti-nazi family and was conscripted into the Hitler Youth. The Hitler Youth was not the SS
    You make it sound as if the present Pope has done something wrong. :confused:

Yep, he thought there was academic freedom. Guess he learnt the hard way that some people disagree with you using a historical quote as part of an argument around faith and reason
    Aladdin wrote:
    Were you on holiday on the Moon last week or something? :confused:

Perhaps you can tell me what the Pope did wrong? Are you even aware of the context of the remarks in the entire speech?
    As part of his role of Head of the Catholic Church the Pope is an ambassador for the faith and in charge of overseeing good relations with other faiths and groups and safeguarding the interests and reputation of the church.

He didn't do a very good job of that last week, did he?

But I guess you're right. I look forward to ambassadors everywhere saying just what they want and think about the customs of their host country, no matter if the comments are likely to piss off their hosts. At the end of the day their job as ambassadors should take second preference to their freedom of speech.
    Perhaps you can tell me what the Pope did wrong? Are you even aware of the context of the remarks in the entire speech?
    Yes I am. It was still a stupid thing to do and a very stupid source to quote. You'd think a man in his position would think things through...
    He has advisors and such to tell him what to say, you do not honestly think these things are not vetted a million times over. All he did was say something to further push the agenda of the Catholic Church...i do not know what that is, but it must be there somewhere.
  • Saeed MSaeed M Posts: 270 The Mix Regular
    May I suggest that a mature approach to this discussion would be to read Muslims as Muslim extremists in most places and to agree that that is whom we are referring to when mentioning those advocating violence against others?

I don't agree that the word Muslims should be read as Muslims extremists. If you want to say Muslim extremists then say so and make it clear. Use Muslims to describe the majority - peace loving, normal people who happen to follow a different religion.
    You can critisise John Reid because he is a plonker, you shouldn't IMO complain that he entered a Muslim area, THERE ARE NO MUSLIM AREAS. WE LIVE IN THE UK AND THE ENTIRE COUNTRY IS A BRITISH AREA.

I agree. It is not a Muslim area. It is a British area. John Reid delivered his speech in Leyton, Waltham Forest which is a very multicultural area of London and the borough in which I live.

Again the media took negative soundbites from a minority and gave them pride of place. The people who made these comments are from fringe groups which are banned from holding talks/sessions in most mosques.

The majority of people who attended the meeting understood the points made, but were offended by being told what to do with their children. The government does not go to Church playgroups (the meeting was in a mosque-run playgroup) and tell the parents, "keep an eye on your children because some of them may turn out to be paedophiles."
    Abu Izzadeen should had been arrested under the terrorism act. It has not been used yet so why not start with this nutter?

The government is quickly to take old fagile 80 odd year old man out of a Labour conference but they tolerate hate preachers like this.

The clown lives on state benefits but hates this country. Don't we know why he is here. :rolleyes:

If it was up to me he would be arrested under the terrorism act for glorifying terrorism, his state benefits would stop immediately.
    "Glorifying terrorism" - there's a stupid law if ever there was one.
    I've extracted this from The Telegraph comment website found here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2006/09/21/dl2102.xml&sSheet=/opinion/2006/09/21/ixopinion.html Pretty interesting indeed.

The events listed are from past very recent history. They actually happened
    Do you remember?

1. In 1972 at the Munich Olympics, athletes were kidnapped and massacred by:
    a. Olga Korbut
    b. Sitting Bull
    c. Arnold Schwartzenegger
    d. Muslim male extremists mostly between the ages of 17 and 40

2. In 1979, the U.S. embassy in Iran was taken over by:
    a. Lost Norwegians
    b. Elvis
    c. A tour bus full of 80-year-old women
    d. Muslim male extremists mostly between the ages of 17 and 40.

3. During the 1980's a number of Americans were kidnapped in Lebanon by:
    a. John Dillinger
    b. The King of Sweden
    c. The Boy Scouts

4. In 1983, the U.S. Marine barracks in Beirut was blown up by:
    a. A pizza delivery boy
    b. Pee Wee Herman
    c. Kylie Minogue

5. In 1985 the cruise ship Achille Lauro was hijacked and a 70 year old American passenger was murdered and thrown overboard in his wheelchair by:
    a. The Smurfs
    b. Davy Jones & The Monkees
    c. The Little Mermaid

6. In 1985 TWA flight 847 was hijacked at Athens, and a U.S. Navy diver trying to rescue passengers was murdered by:
    a. Captain Kid
    b. Charles Lindberg
    c. Mother Teresa

7. In 1988, Pan Am Flight 103 was bombed by:
    a. Scooby Doo
    b. The Tooth Fairy
    c. Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid

8. In 1993 the World Trade Centre was bombed the first time by:
    a. Meatloaf
    b. Grandma Moses
    c. Michael Jordan

9. In 1998, the U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania were bombed by:
    a. Tarzan
    b. Hillary Clinton (to distract attention from Wild Bill' s women problems)
    c. The World Wrestling Federation

10. On 11 September 2001 four airliners were hijacked; two were used as missiles to take out the World Trade Centers and of the remaining two, one crashed into the US Pentagon and the other was diverted to a crash by the passengers. Thousands of people were killed by:
    a. Bugs Bunny, Wiley E. Coyote, Daffy Duck and Elmer Fudd
    b. The Supreme Court of Florida
    c. Mr. Bean

11. In 2002 the United States fought a war in Afghanistan against:
    a. Lawrence of Arabia
    b. The Lutheran Church
    c. The NFL

12. In 2002 reporter Daniel Pearl was kidnapped and murdered by:
    a. Bonny and Clyde
    b. Ned Kelly
    c. Billy Graham

13. In 2002 the Sari Nightclub in Kuta Beach, Bali, was blown up killing 189 young mainly Australian tourists by:
    a . The "Bundy" Polar Bear
    b. Ho Chi Minh
    c. Paul Keating

14. In July 2004, three London Underground trains and one London Bus were suicide bombed by:
    a. The Spice girls
    b. The Beatles
    c. The Four Tops
    d. 4 'British' Muslim male extremists mostly between the ages of 17 and 40
    Blagsta wrote:
    "Glorifying terrorism" - there's a stupid law if ever there was one.
    Why is it?
    Who gets to define "terrorism"? Thatcher called the ANC terrorists back in the 80's. Does that mean anyone who thinks Mandela is a good bloke is guilty of glorifying terrorism? What about the CIA's support to the contras? Is that glorifying terrorism (actually its aiding and abetting, but never mind)? The bombing of Dresden, was that a terrorist act? etc
    luke88 wrote:
    I've extracted this from The Telegraph comment website found here: <snip>

So some people claiming to act in the name of Islam are scumbags. Do you want a list of atrocities carried out in the name of Christianity too? Or a list of atrocities carried out in the name of democracy?