Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

CIA applies for permission to torture

http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,,1874748,00.html
Details emerged yesterday about the seven interrogation techniques the CIA is seeking to be allowed to apply to terror suspects.

The techniques sought by the CIA are: induced hypothermia; forcing suspects to stand for prolonged periods; sleep deprivation; a technique called "the attention grab" where a suspect's shirt is forcefully seized; the "attention slap" or open hand slapping that hurts but does not lead to physical damage; the "belly slap"; and sound and light manipulation.

The New York Times recently reported that Abu Zubaydah, the first al-Qaida member captured after the September 11 attacks, was kept in a freezing cell until he went blue, and later assailed with loud Red Hot Chili Peppers music.

How these people can look themselves in the mirror in the morning or indeed how can the President of that repulsive regime talk to the world and speak of 'freedom' and 'human rights' is simply beyond belief.

Fucking Empire of Evil.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    seems like we are forgetting the empire that hung drawn and quartered its enemies, after a trial of ordeal.

interesting, at least we're not trying to get the japs to talk!
  • Options
    What's your point? When was the last time britain legally tortured suspects?
  • Options
    If you take the police to be 'britain' then during the 80s with the questioning of the brum 6 and bridgewater lot. it wasn't all just about signed confessions.
  • Options
    Frankly, with the exception of hypothermia, I don't regard any of that as torture. Once they've refused to talk over tea and biscuits throwing them in a room and not letting them sleep until they've given you what you want to know seems common sense.
  • Options
    Countless organisations and countries would disagree with you there.

Sensory depravation, prolonged sleep depravation and other psychological 'tricks' amount to psychological torture.

Not to mention slapping.

If we're to apply the CIA's argument that so long as it hurts but doesn't cause lasting damage it's okay, boy are we going to have fun. Electrodes to the testies anyone?

It amounts to torture, it's disgusting and it's completely unjustifiable.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Countless organisations and countries would disagree with you there.

Sensory depravation, prolonged sleep depravation and other psychological 'tricks' amount to psychological torture.

Not to mention slapping.

If we're to apply the CIA's argument that so long as it hurts but doesn't cause lasting damage it's okay, boy are we going to have fun. Electrodes to the testies anyone?

It amounts to torture, it's disgusting and it's completely unjustifiable.

sleep deprivation is one of the most agonising experiences ever, its why the chinese cut off eyelids

and they use extreme hypothermia(the cia) so much so the guy who recently got put in prison for planning 9-11 was made blue from hypothermia, believe that was wording of the CIA

how tehy can preach freedom is a load of bollocks, and frankly makes them just as bad as certain terroists
  • Options
    If you take the police to be 'britain' then during the 80s with the questioning of the brum 6 and bridgewater lot. it wasn't all just about signed confessions.
    The key word there is legally. Did you miss that?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    The key word there is legally. Did you miss that?

so making torture legal is alright

i ask one question - give me an example where torture was needed and worked.....
  • Options
    I am with NQA on this one. If they won't talk and they have information you need sleep deprivation, tricking them with scenarios to make them think they are free and with friends/allies and not a prisoner and intimidation are all fair game. To me they are not torture.

I do not agree with cutting off eyelids, electrodes to any part of the body, let alone testicles, violence, use of hypothermia, etc.

But keeping them awake then applying mind games to trick them into talking seems all fair to me.
  • Options
    so making torture legal is alright

i ask one question - give me an example where torture was needed and worked.....
    No, it's not. WTF are you talking about?
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Frankly, with the exception of hypothermia, I don't regard any of that as torture. Once they've refused to talk over tea and biscuits throwing them in a room and not letting them sleep until they've given you what you want to know seems common sense.

You've obviously never been sleep deprived or suffered from insomnia. It's not a very pleasant experience, it leads to hallucinations and can make you feel quite ill.
  • Options
    Bullseye wrote:
    I am with NQA on this one. If they won't talk and they have information you need sleep deprivation, tricking them with scenarios to make them think they are free and with friends/allies and not a prisoner and intimidation are all fair game. To me they are not torture.

I do not agree with cutting off eyelids, electrodes to any part of the body, let alone testicles, violence, use of hypothermia, etc.

But keeping them awake then applying mind games to trick them into talking seems all fair to me.

yep I can draw a line quite easily between smashing someone's hands so hard with a sledgehammer or electrodes to the testicles and stuff like sensory deprivation etc.

To be honest if I'd be captured by most countries I'd have felt I'd have come off lucky if I was just slapped a few times and deprived of sleep.
  • Options
    Oh. That makes it OK then.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    You've obviously never been sleep deprived or suffered from insomnia. It's not a very pleasant experience, it leads to hallucinations and can make you feel quite ill.

You're right its not a pleasent experience - if it was a nice experience there'd be no incentive to talk. However I don't think its torture.
  • Options
    The UN would disagree with you there.
  • Options
    That's fine by me
  • Options
    Well I for one put more trust in UN definitions of torture than some random bod's on the net.
  • Options
    I too can distinguish between sleep deprivation and applying electrodes to the testicles. While sleep deprivation is definitely not torture it is nonetheless a practice that should make us feel uncomfortable and should in conventional affairs be prohibited.

However, in a time of war I feel it can be justified. As there were thousands of Nazis intent on harming the British people there are now thousands of Islamists - many of these thousands even within our borders who are intent on the mass murder of British civilians. The threat from Islamic extremism is not limited to one or two underground fringe terrorist groups; there are thousands of people under surveillance by the police and there are thousands that pose a danger.

I fear there will be a cost to the actions of those championing the civil liberties of terrorists and I fear that it will be the mass murder of civilians.
  • Options
    According to wikipedia, the UN defines torture as
    1. Any act by which severe pain or suffering, whether physical or mental, is intentionally inflicted on a person for such purposes as obtaining from him or a third person information or a confession, punishing him for an act he or a third person has committed or is suspected of having committed, or intimidating or coercing him or a third person, or for any reason based on discrimination of any kind, when such pain or suffering is inflicted by or at the instigation of or with the consent or acquiescence of a public official or other person acting in an official capacity. It does not include pain or suffering arising only from, inherent in or incidental to lawful sanctions.

(emphasis mine)

and
    No exceptional circumstances whatsoever, whether a state of war or a threat of war, internal political instability or any other public emergency, may be invoked as a justification of torture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_Convention_Against_Torture
  • Options
    here are now thousands of Islamists - many of these thousands even within our borders

You're exagerrating a little bit.
  • Options
    1. Any act by which severe pain or suffering, whether physical or mental, is intentionally inflicted on a person for such purposes as obtaining from him or a third person information or a confession, punishing him for an act he or a third person has committed or is suspected of having committed, or intimidating or coercing him or a third person, or for any reason based on discrimination of any kind, when such pain or suffering is inflicted by or at the instigation of or with the consent or acquiescence of a public official or other person acting in an official capacity. It does not include pain or suffering arising only from, inherent in or incidental to lawful sanctions.

Italics mine
  • Options
    I too can distinguish between sleep deprivation and applying electrodes to the testicles. While sleep deprivation is definitely not torture it is nonetheless a practice that should make us feel uncomfortable and should in conventional affairs be prohibited.

However, in a time of war I feel it can be justified. As there were thousands of Nazis intent on harming the British people there are now thousands of Islamists - many of these thousands even within our borders who are intent on the mass murder of British civilians. The threat from Islamic extremism is not limited to one or two underground fringe terrorist groups; there are thousands of people under surveillance by the police and there are thousands that pose a danger.

I fear there will be a cost to the actions of those championing the civil liberties of terrorists and I fear that it will be the mass murder of civilians.

we're at war? :confused: i think you're living in an alternate reality mate, if there are thousands of islamists in our borders intent on harming british civilians, they're hiding that intention pretty well i'd say, unless you think our intelligence services are really that good :lol: ........you really are a moron if you can't see why legalised torture, even on terror 'suspects' (note: they don't have to be convicted terrorists) isn't acceptable, i think you've been watching too much 24.

ETA: if you're comparing WWII and the nazis to current affairs then you really are living in an alternate reality mate, wake up.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Italics mine

Sleep deprivation is severe mental suffering. You'd know that if you'd ever suffered from insomnia.
  • Options
    ETA: if you're comparing WWII and the nazis to current affairs then you really are living in an alternate reality mate, wake up.

He's a tad deluded to say the least.
  • Options
    Sleep deprivation is not like torture - it is a form of torture, a tactic favoured by the KGB and the Japanese in PoW camps in World War Two.

The British Army was also accused of using sleep deprivation to extract information from suspected IRA members in 1971.

"It is such a standard form of torture that basically everybody has used it at one time or another," says Andrew Hogg, of the Medical Foundation for the Care of Victims of Torture.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3376951.stm
    Restraining detainees in very painful positions, hooding, threats, and prolonged sleep deprivation violate the prohibition on torture and cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment.

http://news.amnesty.org/index/ENGAMR510772004
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    You're exagerrating a little bit.

I wish I was.

Terror police monitor thousands.

The Populus polls I have often spoke about suggest some very worryingly high percentages of Muslims hold some very extreme views. However, even though only 6% said the 7/7 terrorists were acting according to the 'true' principles of Islam and only 13% believed the 7/7 terrorists should be considered martyrs - that is still an enormous number of people. The Muslim community is a large minority in Britain.

While pollsters are not completely accurate and the Muslim community is not the easiest to poll it remains pretty undeniable that there are at the very minimum many thousands of Muslims that sympathise with terrorism. The intelligence services know that and have as good as admitted that to be the case; it's not any secret. Of course of these many thousands of supporters many will only go as far as verbal or financial support for terrorism; such people should still be arrested or deported but the immediate danger comes from those that are committed to actually carry out attacks.
  • Options
    Which would amount to a few dozen or the low hundreds at the very very most.

Nor that it would matter if there were thousands, here or elsewhere. Civilised nations do not use torture. Regardless of the enemy or circumstances.

Anyone who believes in torture, that's their decision. But they must not delude themselves that they are civilised or much better than the enemy they fight.
  • Options
    dis

Quite uncritical aren't you? You don't think that the government are above exagerrating the threat for political purposes? For instance, the recent plot to blow up airliners with liquid explosives is debunked here.

And I can't quite believe you're making a song and dance about 6% of people in a poxy poll? pfffft :rolleyes:

While there are undoubtedly Islamist nutters out there, the threat is very much exagerrated by the government and by people such as yourself who have an agenda to push.

P.S.
    I think the 7/7 bombers could be considered martyrs too. Look up the defintion some time.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    And I can't quite believe you're making a song and dance about 6% of people in a poxy poll? pfffft :rolleyes:

6% of 1.7m is a lot of people. Why don't you look up the poll in question on the Populus website before condemning it?

Anybody who rejects the fact that there is among British Muslims a large minority committed to barbaric and backward ideals that include terrorism is deluding themselves.
  • Options
    Let's get the pliers and the car battery out then! Best way of defence, that is :)