Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Muslim anger at vatican

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Read the entire speech before taking a quote from within it out of context.
  • Options
    Saeed MSaeed M Posts: 270 The Mix Regular
    I feel that at this point, the Vatican has apologised for any offence it may have unintentionally caused, it now needs those still complaining to show some sense and accept that apology.

I suspect you will find that those muslims still ranting and complaining make out and out anti christian statements on a fairly regular basis and yet there is no outcry. It's funny how the Vatican is assumed to be in the wrong.

True. But a bearded man outside a London mosque saying, "We wholeheartedly accept the Pope's apology and oppose any violence perpetrated by Muslims as a result of his comments." doesn't look as good as people in Pakistan burning an effigy of the pope on the 9 0'clock news.
  • Options
    I'm going to let a letter to a newspaper speak on my behalf:
    If I were a Muslim I don't know what I'd find more surreal; being lectured on the "evil and inhuman" nature of my beliefs by an ex-member of the Hitler Youth, or the fact that when Manuel II Palaeologus wrote his infamous letter he was sitting in the ruins of an empire still shattered by the attentions of Pope Innocent III's fourth Crusade in 1204, a violent sack in which a large part of the population was massacred by their fellow Christians.

This particular example of spreading the Christian faith so unimpressed the late John Paul II that he was moved to comment: "How can we not share, at a distance of eight centuries, the pain and disgust," in an address in which he also apologised to Muslims for the Crusades. If Muhammad did command the spreading of the faith by the sword, what was he doing if not following the Catholic example?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I'm going to let a letter to a newspaper speak on my behalf:

What's being an ex-member of the Hitler Youth got to do with it? He was a conscript from an anti-Nazi family. His dad was sacked from the police for his anti-Nazi views and was lucky to avoid a concentration camp. Given that the Nazi's were hanging deserters from lampost it would have taken more moral courage than most people possess to not serve and risk not only your own death, but those of your family.

I'm not a great fan of the papacy, but criticism of him ought to be valid, not based on smears and innuendos
  • Options
    Why do people ignore the facts when they want to put their arguments forward? Hitler Youth Membership was mandatory, he didnt have a choice in it so calling him a nazi just undermines your own arguments by showing your own lack of knowledge.

Can people get a grip before they go running their mouths off...if that happened none of this mess with the Pope would have happened, would it.
  • Options
    In the UK, the Muslim Council of Britain and MPACUK were quick to condemn the Pope...

They always have something to moan about..... "ooh you attacked our faith, your a bad boy". Turn it over ffs.
  • Options
    Judging him for being a member of the Hitler Youth is like judging someone from the UK for being a conscript. It's pointless and shows nothing, other than your personnal lack of understanding and that you failed to engage brain before writing and that you're daft enough to mindlessly accept what your told without questioning.

The Pope didn't use that quote to express his own opinion, it was part of a lecture, aimed to educate by looking at different opinions and attitudes through time.

Those who think he shouldn't have said it, should we never teach or discuss with direct quotes events from history?
  • Options
    Fair enough about the Hitler Youth- I didn't know that. Apologies.

However if we get past that erroneous first sentence, the main part of the letter still stands very true. For the head of the Catholic Church, quote or not quote, to speak about Islam's apparent violent ways is rather like Fred West lecturing Stan Collymore about woman abuse.
  • Options
    The Catholic Church always comes out with controversial shit. John Paul 2 was no better but he was more popular with the public so his anti-gay and contraception speeches were pretty much ignored in his tenure.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

However if we get past that erroneous first sentence, the main part of the letter still stands very true. For the head of the Catholic Church, quote or not quote, to speak about Islam's apparent violent ways is rather like Fred West lecturing Stan Collymore about woman abuse.

But Catholicism tends to have put is violent tendencies behind it, the Pope hasn't called for a crusade for a while. Any Catholics who are calling for the violent conversion of other faiths tend to be on an extreme fringe, which may also be true for Muslims as well, but the extreme fringe is larger.

The letter writer also misses the point about the sack of Byzantium by Christian crusaders. They weren't sacking it because they were Christian, it wasn't an attempt to convert an orthodix city to Catholicism, but a purely political deicison (or a break down in discipline after provocations by Byzantium traders depending on which version you accept). The Turkish sack of Byzantium was motivated by the belief that Islam (at the time) should be spread by the sword.

The spread of Islam by the sword wasn't copying the Crusades. Jerusalem was Roman/Byzantium until conquered by the Muslims in 638. If the Muslims hadn't conquered it it would still have been orthodox Christian and there in 1095 there would have been no need for Pope Urban to call a Crusade.
  • Options
    Actually I'm not sure there was a need for the Pope to call a Crusade regardless of what might have happened half a millennia previously.

They are as bad as each other, and whereas the number of Muslims extremists who advocate violence is higher than the number of their Christian counterparts, they are still a very small minority not representative of the 1bn Muslims across the world, most of whom couldn't give a shit by the looks of it.
  • Options
    Judging him for being a member of the Hitler Youth is like judging someone from the UK for being a conscript. It's pointless and shows nothing, other than your personnal lack of understanding and that you failed to engage brain before writing and that you're daft enough to mindlessly accept what your told without questioning.

The Pope didn't use that quote to express his own opinion, it was part of a lecture, aimed to educate by looking at different opinions and attitudes through time.

The Pope is watched by Billions around the world, so he should have known better then to step on so many toes with his words and yes being a German of his age and talking about others being evil to a German audience is like the pot calling the kettle black.

He had over 600 years worth of people to quote and do you really think he picked the best preson in the history of the entire world to quote from? And the right set of words?

At least people like Mel Gibson are making a better attempt to correct their mistakes, and at least he can claim he was drunk at the time when he slagged off Jews whilst being arrested recently.

What exactly is the lesson the Pope taught everyone with his well choosen quote?
  • Options
    :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

It was a quote as part of a lecture, looking at the relations between religions over time. I think it shows quite well how the emperor in question saw muslims and their prophets at the time, don't you?
    yes being a German of his age and talking about others being evil to a German audience is like the pot calling the kettle black.

By that do you mean that no German of his generation can ever discuss evil behaviour by anyone else? Just because the leader of their nation did wrong, means that they are all evil? Would that make all Brits evil for what Tony Blair has had a hand in in Iraq. Before I get lept on I realise that is nothing like the scale of WW2 but for the victims there is very little difference.

The pope was lecturing at a university, you know, education, for people mature enough to listen to the whole story, engage brain and think. It's not his problems journos in the back row decided to pick something out of context and stir trouble. Why shouldn't he give a good lecture with relevant references, just because he's the Pope? He was an academic for many years and it would be a waste to stop him teaching.
  • Options

At least people like Mel Gibson are making a better attempt to correct their mistakes, and at least he can claim he was drunk at the time when he slagged off Jews whilst being arrested recently.

So as long as you're drunk when you make outright insulting antisemitic comments it's all alright then? I love your little world I really do. Mel Gibson was making his own comments, not referencing something that wasn't his opinion in a lecture.
  • Options
    The pope was lecturing at a university, you know, education, for people mature enough to listen to the whole story, engage brain and think. It's not his problems journos in the back row decided to pick something out of context and stir trouble. Why shouldn't he give a good lecture with relevant references, just because he's the Pope? He was an academic for many years and it would be a waste to stop him teaching.

It's not out of context if you read the entire translation first and then make up your own mind.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/pdfs/15_09_06_pope.pdf
  • Options
    anyone read the entire speech?

i dont believe the new testament(jesus renounces most of the old testament) says jesus killed over 700 non believers and that you should charge them extra tax to effectively force them to convert, the koran says that.....
  • Options
    I read the entire speech, and by out of context I meant that it's reported that the Pope said all Mohammed did was incite violence, rather than the Pope gave a lecture and in it referenced a source who said all Mohammed did was incite violence.
  • Options
    why was her referring to Mohammed in the first place, in his speech? Curiosity, that's all.
  • Options
    It was a lecture on the relations and perceptions between religions.
  • Options
    Catholics are seen in thw world by non-Catholics as being Tossers. The church takes every ones money but gives none back to help ever. To be catholic is to be covered in Dogma that goes no where. And they have this ridiculous attitude to sex where they make kids think it is evil and disgusting, then refuse them to have it in a safe way propagating unwanted pregnancies and the spread of disease.

By contrast, Islam is seen as this extreme, fanatical, almost cult like religion that breeds hate to all non-Islamists. It is seen a sresponsible for all the terrorism in the world and the abuse and subjugation of women.

Neither is 100% accurate of course, just like not all Protestants are sexually repressed puritanical zealots.

All in all, Religion is just lame, In My Opinion!
  • Options
    Bullseye wrote:
    All in all, Religion is just lame, In My Opinion!
    That's what you get when you get a bunch of people who group together based on their similar beliefs, then moan when everyone assumes they believe the same thing.
  • Options
    Saeed M wrote:
    True. But a bearded man outside a London mosque saying, "We wholeheartedly accept the Pope's apology and oppose any violence perpetrated by Muslims as a result of his comments." doesn't look as good as people in Pakistan burning an effigy of the pope on the 9 0'clock news.
    Exactly... and that works for both religions... Or any subject really for that matter. The journalists will only pick the bit of the news that sell more and make sure to write it so it comes across as polemic as possible. The Pope writing an encyclica titled "God is love" is sure to interest no-one in comparison to him quoting an Emperor who didn't speak well of Islam, even if it is a quote he wasn't endorsing and apologised later for any misinterpretations... Just as all the muslim leaders who condemn violent attacks don't get coverage at all...

But I think what angers me the most is the attitude of lazy people who having the means to inform themselves better don't but decide they know enough to start brandishing out opinions based on what the cover of the newspaper says (and acting like they are experts on the matter).
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

I have no idea who Fred West or Stan Collymore are, but I get what you mean... And honestly, I need to ask you, how much time does it have to pass for the Catholic Church to be able speak in the condemnation of violence? From the letter you quoted it seems to me that never, since to the writer 800 years aren't enough since they are referring to the crusades. Seriously, after many years have passed and apologies have been made, in your opinion what more has the Church to do to be entitled to speak against violence? Would it need to have a clean historical record to do so?
  • Options
    I'll add this story on as it's rather similar...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5362052.stm
    Again Muslim extremists are allowed to spout anything they like. When is this stupid soft pathetic government going to lock these pigs up? Or throw them to a land where they will be happy?

As if we can say what we like about everything but if we say something about Muslims which they may disagree with, we are threatened. I'll say it again: Islam is the religion of peace? Yeah sure. :rolleyes: (Now please don't start with the usual comments of how racist I am. I will condemn Islam when ever I like, I am using my freedom of speech.):banghead:
  • Options
    You do make me laugh. :D
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    Islam is the religion of peace? Yeah sure. :rolleyes: (Now please don't start with the usual comments of how racist I am. I will condemn Islam when ever I like, I am using my freedom of speech.):banghead:
    You're either a complete idiot or trolling.

Which one is it?
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    I'll add this story on as it's rather similar...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5362052.stm
    Again Muslim extremists are allowed to spout anything they like. When is this stupid soft pathetic government going to lock these pigs up? Or throw them to a land where they will be happy?

As if we can say what we like about everything but if we say something about Muslims which they may disagree with, we are threatened. I'll say it again: Islam is the religion of peace? Yeah sure. :rolleyes: (Now please don't start with the usual comments of how racist I am. I will condemn Islam when ever I like, I am using my freedom of speech.):banghead:
    But at the same time trying to prevent other people from using theirs. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    You're either a complete idiot or trolling.

Which one is it?
    Explain what you're onabout?
  • Options
    But at the same time trying to prevent other people from using theirs. :rolleyes:
    So it is OK to say death to the pope, death to the home office minsiter? Death to western people? Why do we tolerate this? They are threats that translate into death.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    So it is OK to say death to the pope, death to the home office minsiter? Death to western people? Why do we tolerate this? They are threats that translate into death.

This is only the view of a small minority of muslims in the UK. Many of them may not agree with all these wars and what not, but that doesnt mean they want to kill everyone who has anything to do with it.