Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Generator Hostel in London...

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
...has anybody stayed here? http://www.generatorhostels.com/london/

Reason why I ask is that I might be staying there for 3/4 nights in November and its like realllyyy cheap (£50 for 4 nights) so like its my only option tbh as I'm skint.

Is it an ok place to stay? I mean, I know I'll be getting what I'm paying for sorta thing but like, I'm just wondering whether it will be better than the other hostels around London.

Mmm also, and I know this is gonna sound reallllllyyyy lame but like, will there be plug sockets available to use in the rooms? Reason why I ask is like, I will need to charge up my mobile phone and use my hair straighteners and stuff. Haha. I can't go days without using my phone!!!

Any replies would be appreciated :)
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Think Gareth has stayed there.

I'd just spend an extra £50 and get a travellodge.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    JsT wrote:

and have sex like we did
  • Options
    jake0 wrote:
    and have sex like we did
    Dude.

No.

We had KFC and breakfast, that was it. You must have dreamed the rest.

Sorry.
  • Options
    JsT wrote:

He has.
  • Options
    JsT wrote:

Just an extra £50? :p

I'm proper skint. Why spend £100 rather than £50?
  • Options
    I stayed there a few years back, was really good they had a cheap bar with a dj and loads of foreign travellers was a really cool atmospheare and quite a lot of security guards so you should feel safe, obviously the rooms are dorm style.
  • Options
    ...has anybody stayed here? http://www.generatorhostels.com/london/

Reason why I ask is that I might be staying there for 3/4 nights in November and its like realllyyy cheap (£50 for 4 nights) so like its my only option tbh as I'm skint.

Is it an ok place to stay? I mean, I know I'll be getting what I'm paying for sorta thing but like, I'm just wondering whether it will be better than the other hostels around London.

Mmm also, and I know this is gonna sound reallllllyyyy lame but like, will there be plug sockets available to use in the rooms? Reason why I ask is like, I will need to charge up my mobile phone and use my hair straighteners and stuff. Haha. I can't go days without using my phone!!!

Any replies would be appreciated :)

Have you noticed on the web site that you're supposed to be one of the 12 people sleeping in the same room? Personally, I wouldn't be going there.
    There are wide choice of bed & breakfast for about £20 p/n (+ discount for more than 3 nights). If you're not so rushy, I'll try to sort out something for you.
  • Options
    Yeah. I did know that I was supposed to be one of 12 people.

I'd prefer my own room tbh but I don't think its gonna be possible.

I'm not in a rush as such but I'd like to get it booked in the next couple of weeks to be honest. I'm an organised person you see :D
  • Options
    You can get a room on your own. Ain't gonna be like Hilton Hotel, but you will have a plug on the wall for your own use!:D
    I'll see what I can do this week.
    Any particular place in London, or...wherever?
  • Options
    Day40 wrote:
    There are wide choice of bed & breakfast for about £20 p/n (+ discount for more than 3 nights).

That's still going to be a fair chunk more than £50 for 4 nights though. Not been to that hostel but most of them have plug sockets in the room that you can use at your own risk. Email em and ask is probably best.
  • Options
    Day40 wrote:
    You can get a room on your own. Ain't gonna be like Hilton Hotel, but you will have a plug on the wall for your own use!:D
    I'll see what I can do this week.
    Any particular place in London, or...wherever?
    Just central London really. Close to Euston.
  • Options
    Yeah. I did know that I was supposed to be one of 12 people.

I'd prefer my own room tbh but I don't think its gonna be possible.

I'm not in a rush as such but I'd like to get it booked in the next couple of weeks to be honest. I'm an organised person you see :D

They have over 200 rooms and 800 beds, everything from a 1 bed room to something like 14 beds to a room.

I'd certainly recommend it for the atmosphere
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    Dude.

No.

We had KFC and breakfast, that was it. You must have dreamed the rest.

Sorry.

oh?
  • Options
    The one in Berlin was really nice but I've never been to the one in London so can't really comment.
  • Options
    Just central London really. Close to Euston.
    I know people who've stayed in that hostel and for a hostel it's okay. I've stayed in one called the Atlantic for a similar price which was ok too (in Paddington though, not Euston).

Travel Lodges in Central London are far more expensive than that. The one in Euston is £79 PER NIGHT so it would cost far more than the extra fifty quid suggested!
  • Options
    Haha, Stace, of course it'll have plug sockets!

I'd much rather stay in a hostel than a Travel Lodge, maybe that makes me weird but there are always interesting people (read: nutters) in hostels and that always makes for amusing times... even better if they have extended happy hours (which most of 'em seem to, especially on t'continent) :thumb:
  • Options
    off-topic

@Thunderstruck

Sorry for coming across, but ...have you got an idea what does your avatar says?! Because I know and I don't think it's very cool. It's like showing Hitler's portrait with written: Kill all Jews! undernearth :chin:
  • Options
    Edited: I got the travelodge price completely wrong. Sorry Stacey, I though you'd get a cheap deal and you wont. Mind you the Sat night is £70 and the Sunday is only £26. Overpriced tossers.
  • Options
    Briggi, the hostel I stayed in last time didn't have plug sockets.

I remember cuz I remember getting annoyed cuz I couldn't straighten my hair and looked like a mong for the day :grump:
  • Options
    Ah, for hair straighteners? I should learn to read properly. I've stayed in a hostel before where there wasn't a huge variety of sockets (I guess they don't want their electricity abused but it seems daft to me) but I just asked the fella behind the front desk and he let me plug my phone in to charge there. I suppose you wouldn't want to be straightening your hair at the reception or in the middle of the dining room.

Maybe wait for Gareth to reappear then, he may well know the answer.
  • Options
    Looks really cool, and dead cheap. I know where i'm staying next time i goto london :)
  • Options
    I've used the picadilly backpackers hostel when I've been out in London with ppl and knew we'd miss the last train home. It's not bad for the money, if you just want a bed it's fine. Can't remember about plug sockets but at the Picadilly place the people at reception are very nice and would prob let you use theirs.
  • Options
    Day40 wrote:
    @Thunderstruck

Sorry for coming across, but ...have you got an idea what does your avatar says?! Because I know and I don't think it's very cool. It's like showing Hitler's portrait with written: Kill all Jews! undernearth :chin:

It says (transcribed into Roman from Cyrillic as my computer has decided it doesn't like me typing in Cyrillic)

Lenin zhil, Lenin zhiv, Lenin budyet zhit'.

Which means: Lenin lived, Lenin lives, Lenin will live.
    The bit underneath is too small for me to read but probably doesn't matter.
    [I speak Russian in case you were wondering so yes, I do know what it means :p]

How is that in any way offensive? It's like saying 'Elvis lived, Elvis lives, Elvis will live'. It's not advocating any racial hatred (as Kill All The Jews obviously would - incidentally, Lenin was, amongst other things, part Jewish himself). It's not defamatory, sexist, racist, libellous or anything else against the rules of TheSite or indeed the law. If you don't like Russia/Lenin/Communism then that's fine but accept that I personally do have an interest of said things and I'm of the opinion that my avatar is completely harmless. In fact you are the first person to ever comment remotely negatively about it.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    Travel Lodges in Central London are far more expensive than that. The one in Euston is £79 PER NIGHT so it would cost far more than the extra fifty quid suggested!

No.

I stayed in the Kings X Travellodge for two night, prebooked, £26 a night.
  • Options
    Briggi, the hostel I stayed in last time didn't have plug sockets.

I remember cuz I remember getting annoyed cuz I couldn't straighten my hair and looked like a mong for the day :grump:

We had sockets in our room....
  • Options
    It's the biggest shithole I've ever been to. Stayed there for one night and one night was all I could ever manage.

The bedrooms are the mankiest I've ever seen.:yuck:
  • Options
    I've been there, it's near Russell Square and it's really nice. Not stayed but seen teh rooms and think there are plug sockets, my cousin was straightening her hair.
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    No.

I stayed in the Kings X Travellodge for two night, prebooked, £26 a night.
    Really? They advertise £79 a night! You did well :thumb:
  • Options
    It says (transcribed into Roman from Cyrillic as my computer has decided it doesn't like me typing in Cyrillic)

Lenin zhil, Lenin zhiv, Lenin budyet zhit'.

Which means: Lenin lived, Lenin lives, Lenin will live.
    The bit underneath is too small for me to read but probably doesn't matter.
    [I speak Russian in case you were wondering so yes, I do know what it means :p]

How is that in any way offensive? It's like saying 'Elvis lived, Elvis lives, Elvis will live'. It's not advocating any racial hatred (as Kill All The Jews obviously would - incidentally, Lenin was, amongst other things, part Jewish himself). It's not defamatory, sexist, racist, libellous or anything else against the rules of TheSite or indeed the law. If you don't like Russia/Lenin/Communism then that's fine but accept that I personally do have an interest of said things and I'm of the opinion that my avatar is completely harmless. In fact you are the first person to ever comment remotely negatively about it.

No offence ,I will answer on PM. This thread in not the right place.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    Really? They advertise £79 a night! You did well :thumb:

For the meet dates the Sat night is £70 and the sun night is £26 pre-booked. The earlier you do it and depending on their sales promotions you can get a cheap deal. If I stay after the meet I'm staying at the 'lodge. I not staying on my brothers floor (Like my mother wants me too)