Home We Need You
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

For people that go to/have been to concerts

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am writing a paper on hearing loss and rock concerts for school. I am supposed to ask some people some questions on it, so I thought I would post here. I would really appreciate is some of you could answer these questions! Just simple yes or no answers would do. Thanks!

Have you ever been informed about what loud concerts can do to your hearing?

Have you ever worn ear plugs to a concert?

Do you look down on those that do?

Are you ever concerned about losing your hearing?

Have you experienced any hearing loss that you know of?

Comments

• JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Yes, No, No, No, Sorry, I didn't catch that, can you repeat the question?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I got called a wimp because someone suggested that I wear earplugs to my first gig...
    yes, no, no, no, no,
    whats the point of wearing earplugs the sound would be horrible, the levels are set for straight listening
    yes, no, no, no, no,
    whats the point of wearing earplugs the sound would be horrible, the levels are set for straight listening

Ear plugs make the sound BETTER...I think so anyway. It takes out the noise of the crowd around you and the bass, and it's much easier to hear what the singer is saying. The point is to prevent, or make tinnitus (sp?) worse, or cause other hearing issues.

Thanks for answering the questions!
    tinnitus (sp?)

I you're writing a paper I'd at least expect you to be able to spell words.

I'm sure your paper will look excellent with (sp?) splashed everywhere.
    JsT wrote:

Yes, because I take just as much time and thought writing a post on some teen message board (without spell check) as I do for a school essay.

You're a smart one. Hopefully you'll be able to sense the sarcasm there.
    JsT wrote:

Unless your going for length or character count :p

and

yes
    no
    no
    yes
    no
    Yes

No, I think as long as your not going every day then theres gonna be no lasting damage.

Not so much look down, just think theyre being over cautious. Plus, your going for the experience (regardless of bass quality or crwod noise, to whoever mentioned them) of the live music so why dull it down.

No....like i said, long as your not giggin everynight, standing next to the speakers each time, etc i dont see any reason too.

Only the slight ringing the day after, which is just a symptom of a night of loud music....
    You're a smart one. Hopefully you'll be able to sense the sarcasm there.

No need to detect any sarcasm, I'm smart and I know it.

Thanks for the thought though.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit

Yes

No

No

Yes

Only ringing - lasting 2 days at worst.
    Weekender Offender 

Yes

No

No

Not losing it.. im sure I will have chronic tinatis when im older though...

nah, same as skive though... rining. I have also been to places before where its so loud my ears hurt for the first 30 mins or so... then it all settles down.
    Yes

Nope but I've been tempted to.

Nope, my dad wears them to gigs because he has damaged hearing already from working for years with noisy machines.

Yep, only when I poke a cotton bud in my ear too far lol.

Yeah for about a day after a concert.
    Yes, i just choose to ignore the warnings

No

Not at all, thats up to them

Maybe i will be in the future if i start to notice any changes but at the moment, no.

Only temporary. When ive been to loud gigs or raves i find it normal to not have full hearing for a while but it's always returned to normal after a while.
    Have you ever been informed about what loud concerts can do to your hearing? - No, but i'm not stupid! If you go to a rock/metal gig and stand by the speakers you have to accept the concequences! If your worried about hearing loss stand at the back!

Have you ever worn ear plugs to a concert? No.

Do you look down on those that do? Not really, but if they do wear them a lot of others will take the piss.

Are you ever concerned about losing your hearing? Say again? No, not really.

Have you experienced any hearing loss that you know of? Only after a gig and it never lasts longer than a day.
    Have you ever been informed about what loud concerts can do to your hearing? - No, but i'm not exactly gonna be standing next to the speakers.

Have you ever worn ear plugs to a concert? No

Do you look down on those that do? No, i didn't know people did.

Are you ever concerned about losing your hearing? Yes, but going to the odd concert isn't going to make me deaf.

Have you experienced any hearing loss that you know of? Only ringing till the next morning when i wake up, then it's fine. And i think that was only the first 2 i went to.
    are you a music technology student per chance?

personaly, i haven't worn any at a gig, but i'm very tempted, especialy as my future career depends on my hearing...

i (obviously) don't look down on those who don't.

i am conserned, purely because my livelyhood depends on it, and my granparents were deaf (from birth)

and i have had tinnitus after gigs. and awful pain in my ears on landing when flying abroad...
    Have you ever been informed about what loud concerts can do to your hearing? Yes, it saves on most tickets now days

Have you ever worn ear plugs to a concert? No

Do you look down on those that do? No, its there chocie, dont think I've seen anyone wearing them

Are you ever concerned about losing your hearing? No not really, I dont go to that may gigs

Have you experienced any hearing loss that you know of? Only a little bit with some ringing after a couple of gigs, esp at the astoria.

Wouldn't say imformed. I know they can damage my hearing but I go once a year if that. Everything we do in our lives damages something if you listen to all the warnings we're given. I mean, I've been on this PC for a while now, typing. I'm at risk of RSI. I refuse to go and have a ten minute break from pissing about on the internet though.

No I haven't. Never thought to.

No. Each to their own.

No, tbh as much as I want my hearing, and how I'd be devastated to lose it, I can think of worse problems to have in life.

I can't hear as well as I used to be able to, but that's a growing up/family trait. It's not to a point where I struggle with it.
    If it's too loud, you're too old.
    If it's too loud, you're too old.

My sentiments exactly.
    Have you ever been informed about what loud concerts can do to your hearing? not officially no

Have you ever worn ear plugs to a concert? sure havent

Do you look down on those that do? course not

Are you ever concerned about losing your hearing?nope

Have you experienced any hearing loss that you know of?yes but due to an infection, not a rock concert

:)
    Yes. (Informed by who though? i mean, its pretty obvious for a start, plus

Yes, as I play in a band myself, there have been times where I've had 3 gigs in 3 days (as well as a practice session in that week) so it would be silly not to. Also from a semi-professional point of view, the possibly of loss of hearing is not something i would like.

No, they are being quite sensible. Also if they have professional ones like me, you get a better sound.

Yes, as I'm in a band, and love music to point where i "acquire" at least 5 and usually more albums per month.

Ever so slightly.
    same as poster above. I have also been known to wear ear plugs in uni lectures- more to do with brain loss than hearing loss though, some accents I just can't stand!!
    Have you ever been informed about what loud concerts can do to your hearing? not officially but its common sense that all that loud music cant be great for your ears

Have you ever worn ear plugs to a concert? nope - the loudness of it is part of the concert experience in my opinion but then again, I only go a few times a year - if i was at concerts all the time, I might think about it more.

Do you look down on those that do? not at all. although once I was at a concert with a friend and he wore ear plugs which made it kinda difficult when I wanted to say something to him during the concert.

Are you ever concerned about losing your hearing?nope

Have you experienced any hearing loss that you know of?no, have had ringing ears but its usually gone by the next morning.