Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Missed a pill?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
As there are always so many questions and threads on here about missed pills, we decided to go off in search of some expert advice to give you. As a result, the lovely people at the fpa (formerly the Family Planning Association) have kindly answered a couple of FAQs so you lot can get the lowdown on what to do when you've missed a pill.

We have one about the combined pill - here

and another about the progestogen-only pill - here

Hope they come in handy, just remember they aren't a substitute for proper medical advice.

Hannah Spanner ;)

Comments

• Options
    one told me if you missed a pill you can take it 12hours latter with the same effect...
  • Options
    If you are in a relationship and this happens it is always best to tell your partner rather than risk to consiquences. I have been in a strong relationship for 3years and the pill has been missed about 3 times. I have appreciated knowing and gladly missed having sex for more than a week just to be safe. I am glad my girlfriend feels she can tell me when this does happen.
  • Options
    The FAQ here says I'm safe for missing one, but my instructions on my pill packet say differnt. Who do I follow?
  • Options
    ^ You follow the advice given on the pill packet.

Ilora x
  • Options
    I've had sex though before i've realised... now what?
  • Options
    If the guidlines on your pill packet say you're not covered after missing a pill and you've had sex since then, then my advice to you is to get the MAP as a precaution.

(And read the instructions again....) :thumb:

Ilora x
  • Options
    Missing the pill???

Is it ok to miss out a period more than once because a friend of mine says that her doctor is on the pill but always misses her period because it is 'fake' anyway and its ok to do so. I hate my period but i have only ever missed it once this way, shall i just continue to have it or is it ok to miss it as it is not really there??

:nervous:
  • Options
    I didn't understand a thing right there, but thats just me, but are you possibly talking about running the packs together? Not taking the last week of iron or placebo pills, depending and starting the next pack right after your last active pill?

If so, you can do that up to three times in a row.
    Here are some links to people asking similar questions.
    http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/showthread.php?t=91658&highlight=running+packs
    http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/showthread.php?t=92723&highlight=pill+break
  • Options
    thanks dude i have only ever run 3 packs back to back so i missed 2 periods once before. ok, i will never miss 3. Thanks
  • Options
    Shouldn't u just double up the next day?
  • Options
    I accidentally doubled up once in the past and it made me sick, so no, I don't think that's such a great idea. If you miss a pill, you may not be protected even if you were to take two the next day.
  • Options
    I have just had a 7 day break (im on microgynon) and I have forgot to bring my pills with me, I finished my period on friday and I totally forgot about my pill. Am I still protected?? I know I should take precautuons anyway but I was just woundering.

• Options
    IF the break is longer than 7 days you are no longer protected, if it is less than 7 days you are.

Simple.
  • Options
    all the information is in the leaflets, people are just too lazy to read them!
  • Options
    Or ditch the boxes or can't find them when they want the info.
  • Options
    ^^^ more fool them then, i have mine on a notice board, if u takin them, u should keep the leaflets ;)
  • Options
    Well yeah, but it happens, I know that if I've been carrying the box around at all, then at the end of the last packet it's tatty beyond belief.

It's handy to have an easy source of info, rather than having to pick though all the waffle in the teeney leaflets that half the time is incomprehendable. It's also nice when you're panicking to find what you need to know in more than one place so you know you've understood it.
  • Options
    ok fair enough

y do u carry the box tho? just out of curiousity x
  • Options
    Because I've found that some of the bags I put the foil strips in that if the strips are loose they get the foil damaged and then the pills escape.

I'm probably an exception though, I sail, I kayak and I camp. I've tried my wallet and the current sheets don't fit, but even when they do, the bubbles get squashed and they occasionally escape.
  • Options
    wow u do everything i hate lol

i totally admire u! i hate anything to do with water (apart from hygene of course lol)

x
  • Options
    Each to their own, if you wanted to try it but were just very nervous, I'd get you on the water. It's a little skill of mine, non swimmer, hemiplegic terrified of water was my little victory last summer. She absolutely loved it by the time we went back it. Watersports rock, sharing them is even better, although it's best to stay away from rocks with newbies. ;)
  • Options
    i think i could sail, but u would never get my in a kayak, that whole thing where u capsise? eeeeek haha x
  • Options
    Someone once told me that if you miss your pill you are supposed to take it as soon as you notice that you missed it... also that you have an hour window for when tyou take it everyday... meaning you dont have to take it at 1 everyday you can take it at 12 or 2 as well ..
  • Options
    I though you were supposed to take it as soon as you realized you missed it..
  • Options
    everyday is a lesser chance of protection
  • Options
    Taking a pill now and then is like we adjust our body such to react to the biotic systems , if you miss a pill soemtime , never mind - your body system will just be as a form of HIBERNATION , that is teh procedure il seize , then when you retake the pill , the action starts again , if you like think of some negetive feedback to miss a pill , its nothing liek that.
  • Options
    the pill

i had unprotected sex the day before i took the last pill in my pack, i had my 7 day break but only had a realli light period. could i be pregnant?? :confused:
  • Options
    thanks for reminding me - forgot mine today!
  • Options
    nina1005 wrote: »
    i had unprotected sex the day before i took the last pill in my pack, i had my 7 day break but only had a realli light period. could i be pregnant?? :confused:

no, it's very unlikely if you havent missed any other pills in the pack/ had the squits/ thrown up this month. if u have your protection my be down, so its possible, but i find my periods are always lighter on the pill.
  • Options
    I think if you have missed a pill then consult the doctor for what can be done
    as it is not safe and the chances of risk will always be there
    and the progesterone is always there to get rid of the whole problem anyways
    Dont worry :)
This discussion has been closed.